Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #961
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ya there's no way I'm streaming my music. If there's no 32 gig option I'll have to get the S4. I don't like the idea of carrying around 2 devices with me again and buying an ipod is stupid expensive.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #962
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have the 16 GB version of the Nexus 4.

I have 24 albums of music on it, plus room for more. Each album is approximately 16 to 18 songs long, at a bit rate of 320 each.

I had my reservations about 16 GB of room, and using the cloud, but I'm all for it now.

Believe me, if the biggest is 32 or 64, we'll have plenty of room.

edit: to add: I also have 2 movies and a TON of pictures (downloaded, screen grabs and pictures I've taken) on my Nexus 4.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #963
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I don't get it why people are so opposed to streaming music.

If you use Rdio or something, you can offline sync all the music you want at home when you're Wifi, and listen to it without using data.

Even Google Music now lets you pin music to your device.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #964
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Mile-DJ View Post
I have the 16 GB version of the Nexus 4.

I have 24 albums of music on it, plus room for more. Each album is approximately 16 to 18 songs long, at a bit rate of 320 each.

I had my reservations about 16 GB of room, and using the cloud, but I'm all for it now.

Believe me, if the biggest is 32 or 64, we'll have plenty of room.

edit: to add: I also have 2 movies and a TON of pictures (downloaded, screen grabs and pictures I've taken) on my Nexus 4.
I was a little leery about getting an 8GB Nexus 4, until I realized that my 16GB Nexus S still had plenty of room on it when I was ordering my new device.

It's all about management. When you have a 32GB device you end up throwing a tonne of music on it that you don't listen to on a weekly basis, much less daily.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #965
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I was a little leery about getting an 8GB Nexus 4, until I realized that my 16GB Nexus S still had plenty of room on it when I was ordering my new device.

It's all about management. When you have a 32GB device you end up throwing a tonne of music on it that you don't listen to on a weekly basis, much less daily.

I don't have a huge music collection, it's around 19 gigs. So a 32 gig phone can carry all my songs and still have room for large apps like tomtom. I guess I could throw songs on and off my phone as I go but that seems like a hassle to me. Perhaps I'm just lazy.... but why do it if you don't have to?
Old 09-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #966
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I couldn't imagine actually planning my future music listening and then going through a bunch of albums on my phone and syncing that stuff when I'm around WiFi. Just seems like a hassle and kind of silly in an era with such cheap flash storage.

I guess everyone's different, but the times when I listen to the most music on my phone are probably the least convenient times to rely on the cloud. When I'm on a plane, traveling outside the country, or on a long drive through sometimes spotty cell coverage, it's difficult or impossible to stream music reliably.

Not to mention I'm not particularly interested in having to pay several hundred more dollars a year for a larger data plan just to accomplish what $20 of flash memory could. Hell, Google could charge Apple-level up-charges for storage increases and I'd still come out ahead.

There's really no reason (other than Google wanting to encourage streaming through their services for some free market research) not to offer more storage options.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #967
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nexus 5 confirmed. It's going to be built by LG. Kit Kat boot screen is also shown.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/09/16/ne...t-boot-screen/
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #968
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

O m g ! ! !
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #969
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interested to see what they come with.

Really hoping for more than 2GB of RAM.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 09-16-2013 at 04:17 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #970
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
ually identical to the LG G2, though with a slightly smaller 5-inch 1080p display, along with 2GB of RAM, 16-32GB of internal storage, multi-band LTE and pentaband
,16 to 32 gigs of storage hopefully that's not just a guess and I will be a happy happy man
Old 09-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #971
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm hoping they change the styling a bit and this is just a skin over the end product. This exterior looks kind of plain. LG did do that with the Nexus 4 leaks and we didn't see the end product till almost release.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #972
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I'm not all that impressed with the appearance either if that's close to what the end product will be. It's too bad they seem to be going away from the glass back of the Nexus 4. It was probably my favorite stylistic feature of the phone and it really set it apart from most other Android devices in both look and feel. The less it looks like a Samsung phone the better IMO. It's kind of a cliché, but I really do dislike the cheap feel of most plastic backed phones. Give me metal or glass any day. I can sort of understand plastic if you have a removable battery or an SD slot under it, but it's unlikely that a Nexus device would have either.

Functionally it'll probably be a great update though, assuming they can get a decent camera in there along with the obvious LTE and more storage options.

Last edited by opendoor; 09-16-2013 at 04:50 PM.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #973
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It looks like that soft touch gel stuff like the Nexus 7? If it's that I'm okay with it but I really love the glass back of the Nexus 4. I don't like the Nexus written vertical though, you're holding a phone most of the time upright, that looks awkward.

a 32GB option is great if true though.. but I would love to see them stick with an 8GB option. That's what I have and still have storage space to spare. I'd much rather they stick with that option as well as add a 32 one. Brings the price point in lower.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #974
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Brings the price point in lower.
Would it really? What is the cost difference to build in 8, 16, or 32 GB? Wouldn't a similar analogy be having a desktop PC with a 1TB hard drive, and saying you wished there was a 500GB model available to save costs. As we all know, that difference is only $5-10 in cost. I'd even think only having to stock 2 models instead of 3 would almost make up for the cost difference.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #975
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
It looks like that soft touch gel stuff like the Nexus 7? If it's that I'm okay with it but I really love the glass back of the Nexus 4. I don't like the Nexus written vertical though, you're holding a phone most of the time upright, that looks awkward.

a 32GB option is great if true though.. but I would love to see them stick with an 8GB option. That's what I have and still have storage space to spare. I'd much rather they stick with that option as well as add a 32 one. Brings the price point in lower.
If you look at memory card prices at memoryexpress.com, a 16GB card costs a whole $7 more than an 8GB card. I don't think it'll break Google to get rid of the 8GB option
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #976
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If you look at memory card prices at memoryexpress.com, a 16GB card costs a whole $7 more than an 8GB card. I don't think it'll break Google to get rid of the 8GB option
I'd love to see all three options available.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #977
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well as long as mastodon can save 7 bucks, I guess I can give up the capability of having all my music on my phone without having to pick and choose the songs!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #978
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Don't troll me in my own thread bro!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #979
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Memory card prices are different than flash memory prices. But, I doubt there is much of a difference.

Google will charge more though, for more storage...just like everyone else.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #980
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

I dont see why providing an option is a big deal. If they want to sell Mastadon and people like him 8 gig phones so they can save money if they dont need the storage, fine, just at least give me the option to spend the extra 40 or 50 or whatever you wanna charge me so I can have 32 gigs