Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #81
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I guess this is the greenlight for everyone else to post their favs
I was hoping you wouldn't take the bait.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #82
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I was hoping you wouldn't take the bait.
Beats talking about Chad Kroeger if you ask me.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #83
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #84
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
For example?

I'd like to be exposed to all of these hidden musical treasures (not being sarcastic).
There are plenty of threads here with great stuff on display. I get introduced to something interesting almost every day.

Upcoming CD Releases
Favorite Song Right Now
Best Music of 2012 - Halftime Report (and annual best of threads)
CP Music Drafts
Jazz

Internet radio/podcasts:

CBC3
3WK
CJSW
KCSM
KEXP - Song of the Day
Current - Song of the Day
NPR - Music That Matters

Live Music:

Sled Island
Calgary Folk Festival

Last edited by troutman; 11-20-2012 at 09:32 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #85
Stampede2TheCup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I never really got the hate towards Nickelback. They're just generic, nothing special.

First of all, there is always a ton of suckage available for mass consumption. Hating the specific bands that make those songs is completely pointless. If one goes away another will take it's place. Mostly it's not even about the bands themselves. If you want to hate someone, hate the producers.

Also, there is always a good bunch of less popular bands just as sucky as Nickelback or Linkin Park. There's really no reason to single out just one or two.

More importantly however, it's the age of personalized media. There is very little need to listen to music you don't want to these days. If you want to go clubbing in places that play sucky music, it's your own fault. Music television is gone the way of the dodo, and who listens to bulk radio these days? If you say "I do", then I have a message to you: you're exactly the kind of people why Nickelbacks of the world are so succesful; the ones that will in the end listen to what ever the radio plays and who generally don't make an effort to choose the music around them.

There is so much good music in the world today and so many easy ways to get access to it that complaining takes more effort than finding good music.
This isn't a justification for any haters. I agree with your post. However, let me tell you a bit about the nature of this beast. I think it largely has to do with Canadian content rules. A lot of radio or TV stations seem to fulfill their quota repeating the same three Canadian songs for a month or two. No matter how hard you try, some people are forced into certain music at work, the gym, parties, public places, etc. Especially if you lived in Alberta, Nickelback was just forced into your face so much they were bound to grow some vocal haters along with all their fans. Just like a positive fanbase, having a headstart in the hater department also helped propel them into being a popular band to hate on worldwide.

Nickelback also hit it big before personalized media was even near what it is today.

I think anyone that actually spends any time or energy hating on music that isn't to their liking is silly. However, I think for the majority of Albertan/Canadian Nickelback haters it's just a whimsical joke to talk about with people from other areas.
Stampede2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:09 AM   #86
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah blah View Post
I think anyone that actually spends any time or energy hating on music that isn't to their liking is silly. However, I think for the majority of Albertan/Canadian Nickelback haters it's just a whimsical joke to talk about with people from other areas.
This may all be true, but Nickelback hate is a much larger beast than you may know. It is global man ...
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #87
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the second thread where multiple people have said that Kroeger is an amazing guitar player. Where? At home? It's certainly not on their albums. I've seen two Nickleback concerts and I heard nothing amazing from him (apart from an amazingly bad drum solo). Who really cares if he is a good guitar player when he doesn't put it on his albums? It's like owning a closet full of designer clothes but you go out in public in sweat pants.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #88
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Time to bring some contraversy to this thread...

I was having a discussion at wings last night about this with some friends and I came to the conclusion that I think David Guetta is a better "Genius" in this sense, then Kroeger.

He took a genre that was far off the mainstream (a lot further then Nickelback's style of rock) and almost single handedly made it popular. No dj was selling out stadiums in the states before he started blending his house style with hip hop. Not even Daft Punk or Tiesto. Today you're not considered a "huge" dj until you regularly play to 7,000+ crowds in the US. Thats an insane transformation. 5 years ago Tiesto could barely sell out Flames Central even though he only came here once or twice a decade, now he sells out the BMO Center on a yearly basis. Hell, first time I saw Guetta was at the Whiskey and I only paid $20. One year later, he explodes and I was paying $80 to see him at the Big 4. It's grown a lot since then too...

P.S. fyi I think most of Guetta's pop stuff is crap. He still puts out decent house on occasion though.

Last edited by polak; 11-21-2012 at 12:39 PM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #89
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Guilty, I like Nickelback, a lot. I don't think much of Kroeger as an individual, strikes me as quite a ######, but if MMA, Jersey Shore, and KK have tought me anything it's that ###### is the new cool. I don't think he's any kind of musical genius, but he's more talented than me (musically) so I can't really critizise. He's no Jimi Hendrix, but not many are, doesn't mean he can't entertain. Anyway, I like lots of different music, but I just don't have the energy to go looking anymore, if it's not on the radio I probably won't hear it. Does that make me inferior to the music snobs out there, I guess. Oh well. I don't have bland taste and I haven't sold my soul to the mainstream, I just have way to much on the go to be a music snob anymore, so I take what's on the menu.

Anyway I have no idea where I'm going with this and I have to get back to work.

Cheers
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #90
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Guilty, I like Nickelback, a lot. I don't think much of Kroeger as an individual, strikes me as quite a ######, but if MMA, Jersey Shore, and KK have tought me anything it's that ###### is the new cool. I don't think he's any kind of musical genius, but he's more talented than me (musically) so I can't really critizise. He's no Jimi Hendrix, but not many are, doesn't mean he can't entertain. Anyway, I like lots of different music, but I just don't have the energy to go looking anymore, if it's not on the radio I probably won't hear it. Does that make me inferior to the music snobs out there, I guess. Oh well. I don't have bland taste and I haven't sold my soul to the mainstream, I just have way to much on the go to be a music snob anymore, so I take what's on the menu.

Anyway I have no idea where I'm going with this and I have to get back to work.

Cheers
Riders fan likes Nickelback. Seems right to me.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #91
TitovFTW
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There's so much to hate about this band. The outfits, the lyrics, the awful generic crap music and the fans that go to their concerts. Some of the most painful experiences of my life included working a few Nickleback concerts. The combined IQ in the stadium at one time felt like it was a 100. Kroeger would use the most generic, idiotic statements to get the crowd going. It blows my mind anyone could say they put on a great live show. Their interaction with the audience mimics a Strip Club DJ saying the same thing over and over again. Kroeger is not a talented guitarist either, he has no strength outside of what he calls "rock". The man has zero versatility and instead of skill, he'd rather just play it 10x louder and hope it sounds better. I have no problem with people that like Nickleback, clearly I am strongly opinionated against them but if people want to listen to them, be my guest. I just will never understand the apologists, "well I hate them and they suck and all that but they put on a great show or Kroger is a great musician".
TitovFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #92
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Should have called in sick that night.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote