Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #81
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Lastly, I know its odd, but some of us even like our commute!
Maybe in June...
Old 06-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #82
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Yes, I know. I can only offer my gratitude for pointing out these enormous societal benefits. There are shallow, uninformed people like me who don't see the value in more retail or taller condos though. Maybe there is more to life than going to stores or pubs? Maybe (and this is a stretch, I know), some people don't want to share a wall with their neighbours? Lastly, I know its odd, but some of us even like our commute!
You made several good points, but at the end there - come on now. Commuting in Calgary sucks.

In the past year, I've lived "inner city" and "in the suburbs". They both have their benefits, but neither is perfect.

For example, in the burbs, it's really quiet at night. It's practically silent, so that's good. In the inner city, you learn quickly just how noisy a shopping cart full of bottles can be rolling through an alley at 4am. And there are sirens. And there are drunks hooting and hollering. Noisy is not good, though I suppose you get used to it. But still, it's not good.

That noisy trade-off though does give you an extra hour+ a day not going to work. That makes a big difference. And I know I know, it's not that bad. It's only 20 minutes from Prestwick! Sure it is. And I can't hear my neighbours doing the dishes.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #83
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
It's a matter of whether you want to shop at chains or at places a little more eclectic. You're largely right - I got my dining room chairs at a furniture store in Kensington though.
Kensington is fun to walk around a few times a year. It's not even close to Calgary's best shopping destination. My wife likes Trend, I go to KP once a month...it's a nice addition to Calgary, but it's a footnote and not the whole story.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #84
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Maybe in June...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
You made several good points, but at the end there - come on now. Commuting in Calgary sucks.

In the past year, I've lived "inner city" and "in the suburbs". They both have their benefits, but neither is perfect.

For example, in the burbs, it's really quiet at night. It's practically silent, so that's good. In the inner city, you learn quickly just how noisy a shopping cart full of bottles can be rolling through an alley at 4am. And there are sirens. And there are drunks hooting and hollering. Noisy is not good, though I suppose you get used to it. But still, it's not good.

That noisy trade-off though does give you an extra hour+ a day not going to work. That makes a big difference. And I know I know, it's not that bad. It's only 20 minutes from Prestwick! Sure it is. And I can't hear my neighbours doing the dishes.

It depends on when you have to work and things like that. I like mine because it gives me some separation from work and home. I also don't have to drive in rush hour every single day, or get crammed onto the train to make it downtown....so there's my bias.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #85
Circa89
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ah yes, the annual FFWD" things I can name that are close to the Red Mile" survey.
Circa89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Circa89 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #86
Canuck-Hater
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Im guessing the folks getting bent out of shape over this list probably live where culture dies, yes thats right, the suburbs!
Canuck-Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #87
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Bah!!!
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #88
FiftyBelow
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
You're missing the point. It's not about patting ourselves on the back. It's genuinely about improving our communities, since more people in the inner city = more retail, more services, better hours, taller condos, etc. It's also altruistic because those people who haven't tried it don't realize how much awesomer their lives would be without their "20 minute" communtes unless we tell them!I would argue that walking to downtown beats it.
I grew up in a Calgary suburb and I didn't realize how awesome higher-density living and walkable communities were until I moved to Vancouver for school. I have a my car with me but on average I only drive it once a week. The last couple I've only driven it once. Where I live, there are 3 -5 different buses I can take that go to UBC, dowtown etc. I can walk to safeway, 5 different fruit/veggie shops, lots of pubs, tons of restaurants, boutique shops, doctor, dentist... etc. Beach is just 5 min bus away. Basically everything you need! Only time I really drive is if I want to go to Costco or go to North Van for a hike.

I've even found that I've lost a decent amount of weight just because of how much walking I do here.

If I ever move back to Calgary, I definitely won't be going to the burbs. I'm glad Nenshi is trying to alter the attitude in Calgary. If Calgary wants to become a truly world class city, we need to improve our urban living. On another note I read that the city hired a fairly renowned urban planner. Another great step!

/cool story bro

Tags
2012 , calgary , ffwd , worst