Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #181
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
So you're reporting what she said through your lens. Which is fine, perhaps state that in original post next time.
That's what opinions are - opinions. This site is full of them.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #182
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
The issues they have in this provincial election come down to that they want the right to continue to teach their children to believe that homosexuality is an evil sin, evolution doesn't exist because it's not in the Bible, and that premarital sex is wrong and since children cannot marry until 18, they shouldn't be taught anything about sex whatsoever until then.
That's a little dramatic.

While I'll admit that I'm not 100% clear on the issue (because I really don't care either way) my understanding is that they oppose the government being able to tell parents what they can and can't teach their children. They wouldn't be able to teach anything that isn't on the official curriculum.

Ask yourself this. If gay rights weren't a part of the curriculum would you want the government to tell you that you are not supposed to teach your children tolerance toward gays? Are school boards now supposed to be deciding social policy?
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #183
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
So you're reporting what she said through your lens. Which is fine, perhaps state that in original post next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
That's what opinions are - opinions. This site is full of them.

Thats one of the best things about this site. MoneyGuy is a respected elected official in the province who attended a meeting that none of the rest of us did and provides information here. Sure, its his opinion, but its still nice to hear.

We get a lot of opinions in these political threads, from meetings like that, right through to darklord telling us what the Sun News is reporting that day. I also appreciate that information; it makes it so I don't have to search to see what Danielle Smiths husband brought to work with him that day for the Sun to cover. A valuable service to be sure!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #184
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenseFan View Post
4. PC minority with left wing parties NDP/Libs together able to hold the balance of power despite any gains by WRA. The government would likely go straight to the fiscal left (moreso than right now).
My gut feeling is that is where we are heading. I don't think the WR is going to swing to a majority and I think the PCs won't get enough seats to take a full fledged majority. It'll be a dirty and low brow campaign and at the end of it there will be two distinct factions in Alberta - The PCs and the WildRose.

The odd thing is that I think the AlbertaNDP will hold the sway of power, not the Liberals. But I think a PC Minority pretty much guarantees that you won't see a PST implemented. (I actually don't think you'll ever see a PST implemented by the PCs).
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #185
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ideally I would like to see this result on April 23:

1. WRA minority, with PC's holding the balance of power.

2. PC minority, with WRA holding the balance of power.
WRA would need a miracle to form a minority government. I personally know a few people in Edmonton who rely on the public sector contracts and jobs would go for Redford. But either these results are good for me as it would cause the PC to fire Redford. The worse is a majority PC government to give Redford the carte blanche.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #186
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds_Buckley View Post
Nice work on the site. Very interesting to see that the WRA seems to be taking the most advantage of social media outlets. If the last Calgary municipal election is any indication (ie. Nenshi), this might have a significant effect on the voting results.

Never big into politics, but this election might actually grab my attention.
The interesting thing about Social Media conversation is that they do a good job of showing how the momentum is going to swing. For the past three weeks we've tracking Tweets and the Leadership stats, it's been pretty clear that the WR was on the rise. Sure what's being said on the abvotes/ableg channel is just echos and white noise, but if anything it showed how motivated the WR has been. The PCs have finally picked up steam again after sitting on cruise control for the past month. (Similar to what's happening on the campaing)

It's also interesting to note that the NDP is getting far more mobilized than the Alberta Liberals. Which is starting to show in the polls for third place.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #187
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Let's lay it all on the table and talk about exactly what the common 'moral issues' they take issue with actually are.

The issues they have in this provincial election come down to that they want the right to continue to teach their children to believe that homosexuality is an evil sin, evolution doesn't exist because it's not in the Bible, and that premarital sex is wrong and since children cannot marry until 18, they shouldn't be taught anything about sex whatsoever until then.
Any one can teach their own children whatever they want as it is. What school or how they are schooled doesn't change that. Many parents spend a great deal of time giving counter points to what their kids learn in school.

Quote:
The Libertarian in me says, go ahead and teach your kids those values. I have no problem with that in isolation. The problems with me begin when they want to be able to send their kids to public schools (or even publically funded private schools) and essentially pick what parts of the curriculum offend their sensibilities and exempt their kids from said instruction.
Even those who start and/or are 100% publicly schooled can opt their kids out of anything they feel inappropriate to their beliefs. I know of a parent who exempted their child from viewing Michael Moore documentaries.

Quote:
I say: Too f'n bad, if you want to pick and choose what you're kids are exposed to then teach them yourself at your own expense in time and money and they better f'n pass the diploma exams in science, biology, and social studies regardless of whether or not a few evolution/charles darwin or Sexual Orientation charter of rights and freedom questions find their way into the exams, in order to get an Alberta high school diploma.
I somewhat agree with the latter part of this extremely long sentence.
I gather you don't believe in educational dollars being shared equally among the students? Who picks and chooses which educational models are the ones that warrant coverage?
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #188
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ditch View Post
What is the Wild Rose's official stance on LGBT rights and gay marriage. I have been looking through their website and it's extremely vague on all accounts.
I don't know that they have an official stance on LGBT rights but their gay marriage stance is that it is a federal issue. There were stirrings about allowing officiants to excuse themselves from performing marriages that they did not agree with but I think that was just coming from some of the members and was not party policy.
As for the LGBT rights I am not familiar with the issue or what rights are in question although I am certain that the WRA doesn't propose to remove rights from LGBT persons. Are there some rights that they don't currently have?
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #189
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What is the Wild Rose's official stance on LGBT rights and gay marriage. I have been looking through their website and it's extremely vague on all accounts.
What exactly are you looking for, some bogeyman?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #190
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post
Going off that metaphor, I think he's looking around to make sure there isn't a bogeyman hiding under the bed...go in assuming there isn't, but confirm it.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #191
IntenseFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.t.ner View Post
But I think a PC Minority pretty much guarantees that you won't see a PST implemented. (I actually don't think you'll ever see a PST implemented by the PCs).
They have a major spending addiction that can no longer be fueled by record public revenues. I don't see how they avoid bringing in a PST (and other revenue grabs). Redford wasn't even going to discuss this issue before the election until the press made her and I don't buy her vow of no new taxes for 2 years (or was it 3?).

Also, it is no conicidence that the PC budget press release has as its first major items annoucments of new spending and only toward or at the very end it stated that we would continue to have the same levels of taxation.

The only thing that is ever going to stop this is for the government of Alberta to STOP WRITING CHEQUES THAT THEY CAN'T AFFORD. The PCs are simply never going to do that in my estimation unless they are told to in no uncertain terms by being voted out or perhaps relegated to minority.
IntenseFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #192
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Going off that metaphor, I think he's looking around to make sure there isn't a bogeyman hiding under the bed...go in assuming there isn't, but confirm it.

Oh I see... so because something isn't in policy, it must be part of hidden agenda.

So yeah, I can confirm there is no "hidden agenda". Wildrose believes in rights and freedoms for all. Nearly all of our press releases have this at bottom.

Quote:
Wildrose stands for free enterprise, less government, increased personal freedom and democracy.
It's a guiding principle to all of our positions.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #193
The Ditch
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^^^^^
That doesn't mean much, it's so vague and it's just some buzz words with no depth to it.

Quote:
It's an issue that I would like to know where their stance is, it will help me make up my decision on voting, why is this a problem?
The Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Ditch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #194
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The only thing that is ever going to stop this is for the government of Alberta to STOP WRITING CHEQUES THAT THEY CAN'T AFFORD. The PCs are simply never going to do that in my estimation unless they are told to in no uncertain terms by being voted out or perhaps relegated to minority.
I think the PC swagger is gone for good so even if PC wins the majority, they'll think really hard before implementing the PST, for it would be the death knell to them.

What they might do is drag the province further into debt to fund their shopping binge.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #195
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
^^^^^^
That doesn't mean much, it's so vague and it's just some buzz words with no depth to it.

It's an issue that I would like to know where their stance is, it will help me make up my decision on voting, why is this a problem?
Well as Matt pointed out marriage is Federal issue, so I don't think any Provincial party as a policy on it.

As for LGBT rights (which is what I will assume you are eluding to and would also include gay marriage IMO) we believe in equal rights for all. Is pretty simple.

If you want my "personal" view. I will gladly offer that as well.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #196
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why in the world would such a centrist party jump to that conclusion? lol
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #197
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Thats one of the best things about this site. MoneyGuy is a respected elected official in the province who attended a meeting that none of the rest of us did and provides information here. Sure, its his opinion, but its still nice to hear.

We get a lot of opinions in these political threads, from meetings like that, right through to darklord telling us what the Sun News is reporting that day. I also appreciate that information; it makes it so I don't have to search to see what Danielle Smiths husband brought to work with him that day for the Sun to cover. A valuable service to be sure!
I wasn't saying it was a bad thing.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #198
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I was there. Whiners was my word, but she complained about municipal elected officials, stopping just short of using that word.
Thanks for clarifying it was your opinion.

Given every other party was there, along with media; I think we would have heard if she had been complaining about elected officials.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #199
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying it was your opinion.

Given every other party was there, along with media; I think we would have heard if she had been complaining about elected officials.
You did. I told you.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #200
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Ca...239/story.html

Here's an interesting poll.

Is Ms Smith the sexiest politician you've ever seen?
(Never thought of Smith this way but better than Catholic school headmaster looking Redford for sure)

Tags
alberta , election , get off butt & vote