Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #141
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

From my research the eye can't tell the difference between 120hz and 240hz and product stated contrast ratios are full of sh1twe and mean nothing and that goes for response times too.

When looking for a gaming Lcd TV the best thing to look for is lag time but no TV makers give this out. The best panels for lag time as tested over at the AVS forum, are IPS and the only TVs with these panels are LG and Panasonic LCDs but not all LGs and maybe Panasonic are not IPS panels so you have to check out what you are buying. Also the best TVs for gaming have the least extra processing so look for a 60hz TV.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #142
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sharp.

Bravia's a nice line, but personally I'd only be looking at the XBR.

Although I think you'll be dissapointed with the 120 hz for gaming.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #143
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
Second best.

Pioneer FTW. The Kuro Elite to be specific.
All hail the Kuro! (can't believe they don't make 'em anymore)
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #144
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
It just seems that you keep compromising on the suggestions and advice that have popped up often in this thread just because you want to save a few bucks or get a costco model which in the end defeated the purpose of that advice (spend a little more, maybe try Panasonic plasma, etc.)
Quoted because I couldn't have said it any better. I understand that price point is an issue. Have you considered going with a smaller screen (around the 40inch mark? not sure where the break in pricepoint is), and getting a higher end model? It seems that the desire to shop at costco and Futureshop (who also has slightly different models/components, as pointed out earlier in the thread) is the common denominator in your 5 (!?!?) failed sets. You could stick in the same price point, but get a better quality tv. Trying to get a sizeable TV on a moderate budget seems to be the problem here, so change one of the variables.
I'd recommend avoiding Costco, Futureshop, Bestbuy, and go to a store that deals mostly in TVs. Soundsaround is a good choice with reasonable prices. Sounds of Music is fantastic (high end stuff, but they deal in some lower price point TVs too). Suprisingly enough, London Drugs is a pretty good choice.
I'm half tempted to offer you mine for the price you're looking at. At least you know there's no IR issues
Also, don't be too concerned about getting something by the 25th (when this batch of sales ends). You're nearing the christmas and winter season, there's no end on deals on HDTVs from here to Superbowl. Get a model that's well reviewed, not just one that's on sale. Or better yet, narrow it down to a few models, then wait for one of them to show up on a sale.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 11-21-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #145
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

$1100, all in. Christmas is around the corner and I have to budget loved ones presents. No plasma as I just don't trust it. I don't want to wait any longer, and there is no guarantee that any model I have eyed will go on sale. 2 ms diff in response time would only be noticeable to a superhuman. I never noticed any diff in gaming on a 120 Hz LCD and a 600 Hz plasma (ignorance is bliss). I'm not a videophile, and I am poor(ish). These are my options, and I am leaning towards the Sharp.

If a can't miss sale comes in the next 30 days then I can just return this set and purchase another. I'm getting quite used to taking televisions back anyway.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #146
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, living in Red Deer there is no Soundsaround and there is no Sounds of Music....never even heard of those stores. And, IMO, London Drugs differs in absolutely no way from BestBuy and Futureshop. At least BestBuy and Futureshop exclusively sell electronics as opposed to pharmaceutics. I have no preference to where I buy the set, except for the place with the best deal. Outside of Costco the return policies and warranties are all uniform.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 11-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #147
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Also, living in Red Deer there is no Soundsaround and there is no Sounds of Music....never even heard of those stores. And, IMO, London Drugs differs in absolutely no way from BestBuy and Futureshop.,
Whoops. I should have remembered that you're not in Calgary. Maybe the LD is different up there. The one in Downtown Calgary had a phenominal electronics section. I picked up a Klipsh system there for a heck of a deal a few years back. Hopefully you can find a good deal on one of the one's you're looking at nearing the holidays.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #148
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just bought a new plasma a couple weeks ago from Memory Express - while I was there picking it up I started chatting with the salesman. He said that right now Memory Express is willing to take a loss on TV's to break into the market. They already the money coming in on computers so until they get a foothold in televisions they can afford to match and beat all prices.

Hope this info can help someone who's in the market for a new box.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #149
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Whoops. I should have remembered that you're not in Calgary. Maybe the LD is different up there. The one in Downtown Calgary had a phenominal electronics section. I picked up a Klipsh system there for a heck of a deal a few years back. Hopefully you can find a good deal on one of the one's you're looking at nearing the holidays.
Hope is all I have left.

Trust me guys, if I could afford to I would invest in an expensive television because it is a major source of entertainment. And I already have a 42" LCD, and I want something larger.

I'm sure I'll be happy with one of these sets as long as the frickin thing works. (knock on wood)

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 11-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #150
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

$1100 can buy you an excellent 50" Panasonic 1080p plasma but I guess with your history, bunt for an LCD instead of swinging for the fences.

Is your 42" LCD that bad? Seriously, going to 46 or 48" isn't going to make a hell of a difference at all and it is not worth it. Just sit a few feet closer to your TV.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
image burn , image retention , plasma