Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #21
604flames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Speaking of Kevin Sundher where is he ranked at present anyways? 'cause from my (albeit limited) viewing I wouldn't be disappointed at all if he ended up Flames property.
According to this he is 18th out of the WHL.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...nary_rankings/

I've never really seen him stand out the times I watched Chilliwack, but who knows maybe he'll be a bit more imposing once he fills out a bit.
604flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #22
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Speaking of Howse, he is currently a +16 on team that is 1 game over .500 and has allowed 149 ga and has only scored 135 gf. That's almost as impressive as the 33 goals.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #23
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Having a coach like Habscheid is really going to help round out Howse. Talent has never been a question mark with him, but Habscheid will make him a much better pro propsect.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #24
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Speaking of Howse, he is currently a +16 on team that is 1 game over .500 and has allowed 149 ga and has only scored 135 gf. That's almost as impressive as the 33 goals.
That's pretty good. It's one of the rare times that +/- is probably a really meaningful stat.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #25
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
That's pretty good. It's one of the rare times that +/- is probably a really meaningful stat.
Yep. Comparing them to linemates is usually the best way to go for sure. Good to see our crap scouting finds good players in late rounds. Ryan Howse is a good player, I'm glad that the Flames drafted him.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #26
sevenarms
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Speaking of Kevin Sundher where is he ranked at present anyways? 'cause from my (albeit limited) viewing I wouldn't be disappointed at all if he ended up Flames property.
2010 Central Scouting mid-season rankings has him as #92 for North American skaters.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #27
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

Heading into the last game of the regular season, Howse has had a fantastic year (71 PG, 47 G, 25A, 72 PTS) and hopefully the Bruins can make some noise in the playoffs.

I was looking through the Hockey New's Future Watch from 2006 and happened to catch the WHL draft players to watch for 2006: Carter Ashton, Jimmy Bubnick, Jared Cowen, Landon Ferraro and Ryan Howse:

THN writes about Howse: "spunky, under-sized freewheeler has some grit and sandpaper to his game. "He's a Daymond Langkow type of player," a scout said. "He scores like crazy."
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #28
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have not really heard of this kid until this season. Sounds like a real diamond in the rough. Hopefully he can be an impact NHL player.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #29
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I have not really heard of this kid until this season. Sounds like a real diamond in the rough. Hopefully he can be an impact NHL player.
Unfortunately, this diamond is sounding like something the Flames don't need more of: Defensively reponsible two way forwards who MAY break the top 6 at their prime.

Can't complain though. He's still a nice pick.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #30
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Unfortunately, this diamond is sounding like something the Flames don't need more of: Defensively reponsible two way forwards who MAY break the top 6 at their prime.

Can't complain though. He's still a nice pick.
It is hillarious that you say that, presumably having never actually seen him play. The knock on the kid last year was that he was an offense only player that needed to round out his defensive game. He has obviously done that on a bad team. Don't kid yourself, this kid is a Sniper and with continued offensive and defensive development has a real shot at Calgary's top 2 lines in the next few years.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #31
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
It is hillarious that you say that, presumably having never actually seen him play. The knock on the kid last year was that he was an offense only player that needed to round out his defensive game. He has obviously done that on a bad team. Don't kid yourself, this kid is a Sniper and with continued offensive and defensive development has a real shot at Calgary's top 2 lines in the next few years.
I dunno. I've seen him a bit this year and last (It's not a big sample size, granted. It's been like 5 games total), and he always struck me that way. I might have caught him as he was improving his defensive game, but I never saw him be a massive liability in his own end.

Maybe I didn't see him when he really sucked in his own end.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #32
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
I dunno. I've seen him a bit this year and last (It's not a big sample size, granted. It's been like 5 games total), and he always struck me that way. I might have caught him as he was improving his defensive game, but I never saw him be a massive liability in his own end.

Maybe I didn't see him when he really sucked in his own end.
It could be that he is putting in the extra effort to round out his defensive game and people notice that more.

He is still a sniper though. Look at his stats.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote