Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
SteveToms
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Windows Won't Load

My laptop runs Windows Vista, and right now it won't load Windows, the green loading bar just goes around and around, then a blue screen loads then it goes back to the start up screen with it says Window Error Recovery.

Please help.
SteveToms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:43 AM   #2
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try this first:

Microsoft Windows Vista users

Tip: If you are running Safe Mode because you cannot get into Windows, you may want to first try loading the last known good configuration. Additional information about this mode can be found on document CH000626.

To get into the Windows Vista Safe mode, as the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" and press your Enter key.

Note: With some computers if you press and hold a key as the computer is booting you will get a stuck key message. If this occurs, instead of pressing and holding the "F8 key", tap the "F8 key" continuously until you get the startup menu.

Trouble Getting into Windows 2000 or Windows XP Safe mode - If after several attempts you are unable to get into Windows 2000 or Windows XP Safe Mode as the computer is booting into Windows, turn off your computer. When the computer is turned on the next time Windows should notice that the computer did not successfully boot and give you the Safe Mode screen.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm#03

The next step would be upgrading to Windows 7 ASAP.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:34 AM   #3
SteveToms
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Try this first:

Microsoft Windows Vista users

Tip: If you are running Safe Mode because you cannot get into Windows, you may want to first try loading the last known good configuration. Additional information about this mode can be found on document CH000626.

To get into the Windows Vista Safe mode, as the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" and press your Enter key.

Note: With some computers if you press and hold a key as the computer is booting you will get a stuck key message. If this occurs, instead of pressing and holding the "F8 key", tap the "F8 key" continuously until you get the startup menu.

Trouble Getting into Windows 2000 or Windows XP Safe mode - If after several attempts you are unable to get into Windows 2000 or Windows XP Safe Mode as the computer is booting into Windows, turn off your computer. When the computer is turned on the next time Windows should notice that the computer did not successfully boot and give you the Safe Mode screen.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm#03

The next step would be upgrading to Windows 7 ASAP.
No Dice. I can't even get Safe Mode
Old 11-03-2009, 06:59 AM   #4
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

That happened to my laptop at work. I was told the hard drive was done and it is currently being swapped out.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveToms View Post
My laptop runs Windows Vista, and right now it won't load Windows, the green loading bar just goes around and around, then a blue screen loads then it goes back to the start up screen with it says Window Error Recovery.

Please help.
I would suggest 2 things

1 - go into Bios and use the hard drive diagnostic tools and run them on your hard drive

2 - get the Vista install cd and do automated recovery - I found it actually works some of the times compared to XP which never worked.

I know late last week Microsoft released drivers for my vid card that caused Vista to error out on boot. Automated Recovery fixed it no problems.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
SteveToms
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I know its not my hard drive, I ran a test on it and it's fine.

I will do the automated recovery now
Old 11-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
SteveToms
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

New update, I can't even get the System Restore to work, I can't seem to find Vista on my laptop.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you do automated recovery?

there are fixes for boot.ini file, which might be your problem, just google it - requires access to command line recovery mode.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
SteveToms
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well it seems to be working now, it's just slow, I guess I'll will fix that now
Old 11-03-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
SteveToms
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Now it is stuck on the Welcome screen