Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Another "help me pick a cell phone" thread

So here's the deal. I've been with Bell for 4 1/2 years, and been using my Blackberry 8830 for about 2 1/2. I love the phone but I'm ready to move onto something new.

Here are my options:

1. Palm Pre. I'm able to stay with Bell and keep my rate plan (about $72 a month for everything I need including unlimited texting, data, incoming calls). It looks like it's going to be a pretty sweet phone, I've just never had a Palm product before and I am afraid it won't be as awesome as my Blackberry.

2. Blackberry Tour. Able to stay with Bell, keep the rate plan, and there have been glowing reviews about this phone. Slightly more expensive ($50) than the Pre, but it doesn't really matter cause I'll be selling my 8830 to pay for it.

3. iPhone 3GS. Have to move to Rogers. Unfamiliar with their coverage and company, but a friend just got the iPhone and is paying about $20 more a month than I am for essentially the same plan. iPhone definitely has the "cool" factor. But is it worth leaving Bell for?

Any thoughts from the all-knowing CP community?
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I wish i knew more about the other two phones. I have an iphone and recommend it strongly. Would I recommend it at $20 more per month than the other phones? That's a bit much ... I think I'd talk to a customer service rep about that one.

I've heard pretty good things about the Pre. It's a new phone and there are some obvious issues, but all phones have those issues when they first hit the market. As for the blackberry, aside from the storm have they really released a poor product in a while (i refer to is as 'poor' only from initial reports, i could be mistaken)? I think all three phones are cool. I'm obviously slanted towards the iphone as it's my phone of choice and the app store is a huge resource. If I were in your shoes I'd call up rogers, give them your situation and see if they can't help you out with that plan.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I have heard it's the hardware that is the Palm Pre's biggest weakness. The software is great however.

This page may help you come to a decision.
http://gizmodo.com/5297021/the-giz-i...lm-pre-reviews
Old 08-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am probably the resident Pre fan here. My mouth waters whenever I think about how close the release date is.

The iPhone's biggest pro is its applications, the Pre is new and there are not that many yet. I do not know what Bell will put on the Pre, but in the US, they put on a gps navigation app that works like tomtom. It comes free, whereas you would have to pay $100 for the iphone tomtom app.

Check out some pre apps here:
http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...ated&sort=desc

If you dont mind waiting until it comes out on the 27th, I would go to the Bell store or Futureshop/Best Buy and check out the store model. It seems like the Pre is really well designed and fits better in your pocket. It looks like it has more of a cell phone feel as opposed to the feeling of putting a calculator up to your face to talk.

The iPhone 3gs has video, the Pre doesnt. The Pre is better at syncing your contacts using google/facebook/yahoo, and since it is palm, it comes with a great calendar app.

The biggest pro for the pre is its ability to run multiple apps at the same time, where the iPhone can only run one program at a time. The design is built for multitasking. You can also buy the touchstone, which will charge your phone wirelessly. The battery is removable, unlike the iPhone, and neither has expanded memory slots.

Personally, I much prefer a physical keyboard, so I think the Pre has a leg up in hardware, and I prefer the smaller, rounder unit. I bought my last phone because it was small and could comfortably fit in my pocket. I heard rumours about a software keyboard coming out on the pre, but I dont think it has been made yet.

Bell also has better coverage across Canada, but I dont hear many complaints from Rogers customers.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to starseed For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm trying so hard to not turn this into another apple vs. pre pissing match, so don't take this the wrong way!

How do you get content onto the pre? I know itunes locked them out, so what is the backup plan. Can you just connect it and drop stuff onto it like a drive?

One thing that is a big plus for me regarding the iphone is that unlike some, I love itunes. It has it's annoyances and inconsistencies, but on the whole I prefer it to other media players. I have all my media run through it, so having a system like itunes that lets me just drop content from it onto the phone is a huge convenience.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have had work blackberries and just got the iPhone 3GS. I really, really like it. It has some things that you would intuitively think would be there but their absences in no way diminishes my fandom. Takes it from a 98% to a 96% approval rating. I held a pre in the us last week and found it to be too small and the keyboard seemed tiny but that was only for a second.

I really like the iPhone. Also, my wife has the 3G and I find it is quite a bit slower that the 3Gs so I would not cheap out unless I absolutely had to.

btw Monoprice has all the auxiliary and power cables you could want for very cheap and they work very well.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Be wary of the GPS app. Your carrier can block third party GPS apps from working on your phone. That way they can charge you to use their crappy GPS app. So don't make your decision based on some cool GPS app that works on another network in another country.

As for Rogers. Their coverage is great if your in the city or on hwy 2. If you break down on a secondary highway out in the middle of the prairie or out in the bush? You could be hooped.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I'm trying so hard to not turn this into another apple vs. pre pissing match, so don't take this the wrong way!

How do you get content onto the pre? I know itunes locked them out, so what is the backup plan. Can you just connect it and drop stuff onto it like a drive?

One thing that is a big plus for me regarding the iphone is that unlike some, I love itunes. It has it's annoyances and inconsistencies, but on the whole I prefer it to other media players. I have all my media run through it, so having a system like itunes that lets me just drop content from it onto the phone is a huge convenience.
Sorry for not seeing this earlier.

The Pre was locked out of iTunes only briefly, Palm came out with a patch soon after and got access to iTunes again.

If iTunes comes back to re-block the Pre, then there is another way to sync iTunes with your Pre using another program that many Pre users prefer anyway.

http://www.precentral.net/doubletwis...-transparently
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to starseed For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #9
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being an avid engadget et al reader I have noticed less comments about poor pre build quality lately. I also recall reading about Palm ensuring better QC or something like that and attempting to clean up all the weirdness.