Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #181
Cscutch
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethaniel View Post
Natal is a good idea, but will fail.
man starts playing game. Dog walks by character dies.
Kid starts playing game. Sister is annoyed at him for something previous and proceeds to f up his game causing a fight.
Someone walking by isn't a issue, as the software is smart enough to recognize a temporary blockage. And is it any different now with a controller when someone hits you or stands in front of you to get even from previous feuds.
Cscutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #182
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Can you imagine playing goalie in an NHL game with either the Xbox or PS3 motion detectors? Oh man, if it was done well, it could be amazing!
Old 06-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #183
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Ya that about sums it up.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #184
JohnnyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
Can you imagine playing goalie in an NHL game with either the Xbox or PS3 motion detectors? Oh man, if it was done well, it could be amazing!
What I can imagine is just what I really thought would happen. Nintendo changed the whole gaming world for the better. Not that their product didn't need improving as the new motion controller clearly shows but that this is the way it should have been going in the first place.

The dufus hey look our system is exactly the same only it's faster and with better graphics so pay hundreds of dollar more scenario had to END. Not nearly good enough. Nintendo gets the credit for starting the ball rolling. Now Microsoft and Sony can push the envelope further--Nintendo replies and so on. We as consumers win.

We are going to get dang near virtual reality for our gaming pleasure methinks not too far down the road.
JohnnyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #185
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlame View Post
What I can imagine is just what I really thought would happen. Nintendo changed the whole gaming world for the better. Not that their product didn't need improving as the new motion controller clearly shows but that this is the way it should have been going in the first place.

The dufus hey look our system is exactly the same only it's faster and with better graphics so pay hundreds of dollar more scenario had to END. Not nearly good enough. Nintendo gets the credit for starting the ball rolling. Now Microsoft and Sony can push the envelope further--Nintendo replies and so on. We as consumers win.

We are going to get dang near virtual reality for our gaming pleasure methinks not too far down the road.
Yeah, Nintendo really changed the industrusy by allowing a system that releases tons of gimmicky games which utterly disgust me and are aimed at the average age of 6.

When I play a game, I want to push buttons on a controller, partake in a compelling story, and view beautiful images (or play sports games). Until these motion capture games prove they can compete with a forumla that works and does not insult my intelligence, I'll wait until I see some decent games supporting the cause.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #186
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

http://xbox360.gamespy.com/dor/objec...t2_trl_e3.html
Old 06-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #187
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlame View Post

I'm betting Larry Flint is already setting up Hustler games.

Flint - "Blarg garb blah"

Chief Programmer - "Design a sexually explicit controller. You got it chief.

Flint - "Googla Moogla blah blarg"

Chief Programmer - "A free towel with every game sir, thats going to be expensive"

You see where this is going.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #188
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
When I play a game, I want to push buttons on a controller, partake in a compelling story, and view beautiful images (or play sports games). Until these motion capture games prove they can compete with a forumla that works and does not insult my intelligence, I'll wait until I see some decent games supporting the cause.
A compelling story and beautiful images are really not needed when it comes to having a great game. Great gameplay is the most important factor. Tetris is a hugely popular game, that I'd probably rather play then any of the ten billion 3D first person shooting games out there, but it doesn't have a story or beautiful images.

And the Wii has plenty of amazing games for it that aren't designed solely for six year olds.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #189
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

For Natal, it has to be in a fairly advanced stage since they have released the SDK to the developers. There is no time frame set but the Seattle Times? mentioned a price of $150US and they believe it will be released sometime before Christmas.

I am very excited for this. And yes Nintendo gets the props for creating the space, and now its up to Microsoft and Sony to expand it. Eventually Nintendo will think of something else which they will soak as a cash cow and again Microsoft and Sony will jump on it.

I would love to see a game like punch out for Natal. I have EA Sports active and its fun, but wow that would be amazing.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #190
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as motion sensing is a gaming option and not the standard, then I'm happy. I personally still like to push buttons rather than move around like an idiot, so I'll stick to gaming so long as its still mainly using a control pad.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #191
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaFrapp View Post
A compelling story and beautiful images are really not needed when it comes to having a great game. Great gameplay is the most important factor. Tetris is a hugely popular game, that I'd probably rather play then any of the ten billion 3D first person shooting games out there, but it doesn't have a story or beautiful images.

And the Wii has plenty of amazing games for it that aren't designed solely for six year olds.
I agree with you, gameplay is definitely a big part of it. Completely left that out in my post.

But as soon as you have to rotate a controller to turn the peices in Tetris, it would stop being fun, and would become gimmicky.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #192
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I don't think this generation the developers are going to be able to really nail it. Next generation though could get VERY interesting. Hopefully there is still one system that focuses on controller games ... that's the system i'll buy.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #193
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Natal is unreal....Looks like I'll be purchasing a third gaming system...
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #194
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Microsoft's Kim: Games Can Update to Use Natal

As part of Project Natal’s E3 debut, Microsoft is showcasing a version of Burnout Paradise which uses the new motion-tracking camera. Players hold their hands up as though they were gripping a steering wheel, and make motions as though they were in a car.

In an interview with Shane Kim, Microsoft’s corporate VP of strategy and business development in the games group, Gamasutra inquired whether it would be possible for third party publishers to patch their existing games to work with Natal.

“Yeah, all those details will come out,” Kim hinted, “but our goal again is to make this compatible with existing Xbox 360s.” Microsoft not only sees this as a possibility, Kim encourages publishers to do just that, going forward. “Hopefully publishers will look at it and decide they want to do that,” he said. “Whether they’ll enhance existing games or use them in games going forward.”

Kim also used the Burnout Paradise compatibility as an example of ease of integrating the technology into games – development kits for which are going out this week. “It’s a great example of just how simple it is to adapt a game,” Kim said. “It’s not like we went into the source code (of Burnout Paradise). You can take an existing game, and make it work.”
http://www.gamasutra.com/newswire?story=23915
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #195
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sounds like a recipe for limb fatigue.
Kerplunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:42 PM   #196
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Very cool, but could I realistically hold my arms up like that for longer than a couple races? Hell, I don't even like reading books in bed because I can never find a comfortable position to hold a book in front of me. holding an imaginary steering wheel would pretty much be the exact same position.

I'm not knocking the Natal, I just hope to god these types of things don't start replacing the standard controller.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #197
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

It`s more fun playing with a real racing wheel. Force feedback and pedals. Probably cheaper than what Natal will be.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #198
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedOut View Post
It`s more fun playing with a real racing wheel. Force feedback and pedals. Probably cheaper than what Natal will be.
yup, the only way to play burnout is with the logitech g25.

I wouldn't mind the natal for letting you look side to side though.
Human Torch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:23 AM   #199
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What they should do is try to market it as a security device so that parents can set it to recognize their children and prevent them from doing things like going online while playing CoD4...and screaming in my ear in their tiny shrill 12 year old voices.

Also thought this was relevant/funny

WhiteTom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTom For This Useful Post: