Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #41
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
I now remember why I left PC FPS gaming. Getting shot in the head constantly.

I can be jumping around, or flying up in the air from an explosion, or just turning a corner and blam, there goes my head again. Headshots should be about luck and not an easy option.

I'm a little bitter
Headshots take skill - the sucky part is when lag comes into play. There are so many times I have literally shot at nothing, the wall next to a guy, etc. and because of lag, it will end up as a headshot...or vice versa. It's hard to find servers with good ping in abundance these days because Valve changed the way their server listing refreshes and retrives server information.

Back in the old days, you could get 10,000 CS or TF servers within a minute of refreshing the list. Now, it takes like 5 minutes and you only get a few hundred. It's pretty terrible and I wish Valve would do something about it.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #42
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I actually like achivement servers. I have had a ton of fun on them.

Some of them are really creatively designed and have lots of fun features built into the map like a rapid speed treadmill thing for running, wierd gravity things that throw you into the air, hidden rooms, flying platforms, etc. There was one server that allowed you to save the position you were at through console and constantly respawn there, or allow you to spawn anything you wanted through the console. It was hilarious and a great time. The weapons were all changed too, some had homing features, etc.

Aside from the odd bugger who is only there to grief, I found with classic achievement servers that I've met a lot of nice players on opposing teams that purposely help each other. I liked that camraderie. You just ask strangers to help you with an achivement and they would meet you and do it.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #43
TheDragon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I now remember why I left PC FPS gaming. Getting shot in the head constantly.
It's gotten worse since they've added two new weapons that can headshot - one being the Sniper's Huntsmen (which replaces another head shot weapon, the Sniper Rifle,) and the other being The Ambassador (which has some really really wonky hitboxes.)

Also, because this was a Spy & Sniper update, there are going to be considerably more of both until the bulk of the playerbase unlocks their achievements. Give it a few weeks. I still prefer PC FPS over Console FPS, any day.

I'll admit I'm also a bit of a HS fiend. Sniper was my best class up until I went on a psycho spree with Medic.
TheDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #44
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I play a lot on the ARS Clan servers, a good group of pretty skilled guys, when I play there I usually end up in the bottom 3rd of scores... though that's partially because I'm addicted to the death rush pyro strategy. Not really a strategy, I just like to get in behind the other team and set everyone on fire before they kill me, I usually end up killing no one, but hey if I can distract them all a bit..

Anyway, the server was full so I jumped onto another server.. wow, now I know how the ARS guys feel playing against me! There was maybe 4 of us that were actually good players, and we all were on the same team, and we ROLLED the other team so badly.. I've never felt more like a sniping God.

It was fun for a bit but I hate playing like that as I don't actually get any better.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #45
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I understand that headshots take skill, but it's still too easy. It should include some luck. It's why in weapons training, you aim for the chest. Oh well, my rant wont change anything And this is coming from someone who liked to use a scout rifle for plenty of headshots in Counter-Strike.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:37 PM   #46
photon

Exp:

FPS's should be about skill, not luck. If I wanted luck in if I hit something I'd play an RPG
Old 05-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #47
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

what's everyone's Steam ID for TF2? i just got back into it and have been playing quite a bit, would be nice to frag with some CP'ers

mainly so i can get the spy achievement for backstabbing friends

mine is HemiCuda72
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #48
photon

Exp:

There's actually a CP group.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/CalgaryPuck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #49
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

The day before the update, I just found this new fancy thing called achievement servers. I had no weapons until thens, so I played probably 15 hours getting over half of my achievements... only to learn that I can get most of the weapons by just doing nothing now.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #50
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I understand that headshots take skill, but it's still too easy. It should include some luck. It's why in weapons training, you aim for the chest. Oh well, my rant wont change anything And this is coming from someone who liked to use a scout rifle for plenty of headshots in Counter-Strike.
Actually, there is some luck builtin. You occasionally get critical hits, which do more damage than regular shots. So there you go, skill to get the hit, lucky sometimes if it does extra damage
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #51
photon

Exp:

Sniper headshots are always crits, and if the rifle is charged will insta-kill everything.

Was terrible tonight, I had to resort to playing an engineer
Old 05-27-2009, 12:32 AM   #52
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Sniper headshots are always crits, and if the rifle is charged will insta-kill everything.

Was terrible tonight, I had to resort to playing an engineer
Ha. I love playing engineer on offense. On defense though it can be real boring at times.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:45 AM   #53
photon

Exp:

Lol yeah, though tonight I even got that wrong, putting the teleporters in the wrong spawn locations.. teammates telling me to move up, I felt like a total n00b.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #54
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Lol yeah, though tonight I even got that wrong, putting the teleporters in the wrong spawn locations.. teammates telling me to move up, I felt like a total n00b.
i tried a game on that ARS server, felt quite humbled when i could no longer dominate an entire team as a scout. finally was able to get on a bit of a roll playing as a heavy on Badlands, but i felt quite useless on pipeline when their team was dominating ours
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #55
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

I'd have to say I'm in my element when playing Pyro while defending a payload.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:17 AM   #56
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey TF2 broski's, come check out the server i admin at, we're just getting it up and running, so we need some people to come on by!

72.13.86.10:27015

32 Player
Maps in rotation: Dustbowl, Badwater, Goldrush, Hoodoo, Cashworks, tons available by vote
6/10 Respawn timer (10 being slowest)
3 max Sniper, 3 max engy
No alltalk
Admins typically present

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:21 AM   #57
RW99
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sweet, I'll check it out.

Edit, I added it and Steam crashed. Omen?

Last edited by RW99; 05-28-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #58
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have played more TF2 (and computer games in general) in the past 2 weeks than I have the prior few months. I have now a pile of things I have been putting off that need to get done.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
machinima , meet the spy , scouts mom , team fortress 2 , tf2