Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Burnout Paradise or Wipeout HD?

I'm going to buy a $20 game off the Playstation Store but I don't know which one of the 2 is better, what should I buy, Burnout or Wipeout?
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Burnout is awesome, me and my buds play it tons!
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm leaning towards Burnout but I used to wipeout all the time on PS1 so it's a tough choice.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm pretty sure burnout has 2 or 3 metric ****tons of free downloadable content. Oh, and it has Ecto-1. Game, set, match.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:17 PM   #5
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought the timetravelling Delorean with hovermode would have sold it.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does Burnout have offline multiplayer? If so than I'm sold.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It has a party mode that you have to buy...basically you take turns and pass the controller around doing short little mini games. No split screen.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:49 PM   #8
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Burnout motorcycle addon is freaking fast!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also if you can get the pricey logitech G25 burnout becomes even more awesome than it already is. Wipeout is still good but there's just so much more content in burnout.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:54 PM   #10
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I bought Burnout and its awesome, me and my buddy have been playing it all afternoon, we haven't turned it off until now since the Flames game is soon. Next purchase is the delorean. Thank you for the input, there is no way Wipeout could have been better.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #11
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

i'm late to the thread but burnout paradise is one of the best burnout games...which makes it one of the best games period.

i seriously can't wait for the next one!
Old 04-28-2009, 11:14 PM   #12
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

so where do you get all this downloadable content and add-ons like the party thingy? I dl'ed the most expensive version from the ps3 store, but saw no addons. It has motorbikes already, and online multiplayer stuff (not sure what that entails, never play online). I'm also wondering about something. I played one of the burnout games at my old bosses house a couple Christmasses ago, and whichever one he had there was a mode where all you did was crash into stuff and try to get the most points. I have tried a couple burnout games since, but can't seem to find that on any of them. Unless they are something that needs to be unlocked or something, maybe that's why I couldn't find it? I thought there would be something like that on Paradise, which was why I bought it, but haven't found anything like that yet. It's still a fun game for the most part without it, but really that's all I wanted it for, just to come home after a crappy day at work and cause mayhem until I felt centered again.

Crispy's Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:20 PM   #13
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy's Critter View Post
so where do you get all this downloadable content and add-ons like the party thingy? I dl'ed the most expensive version from the ps3 store, but saw no addons. It has motorbikes already, and online multiplayer stuff (not sure what that entails, never play online). I'm also wondering about something. I played one of the burnout games at my old bosses house a couple Christmasses ago, and whichever one he had there was a mode where all you did was crash into stuff and try to get the most points. I have tried a couple burnout games since, but can't seem to find that on any of them. Unless they are something that needs to be unlocked or something, maybe that's why I couldn't find it? I thought there would be something like that on Paradise, which was why I bought it, but haven't found anything like that yet. It's still a fun game for the most part without it, but really that's all I wanted it for, just to come home after a crappy day at work and cause mayhem until I felt centered again.
That game was burnout 3: takedown IIRC. that game rivals paradise for me. there was also a similar mode in burnout 2, but it only had 15 or so crash levels whereas takedown has many more. burnout revenge also has crash junctions, but there are multipliers and the like so depending if you like that sort of thing...

i run the 360 so not sure about the ps3 version...

i know what you mean about great content not being on the next version. the criterion team came out and said that they didn't want to do old stuff again...they wanted to keep doing new stuff. so i guess that's their deal.

i should add that i hated the demo on 360 and thought that they had wrecked the game...but i got it as a present and i played the real game...and it is awesome. and the price on the 360 is like $20 or close to it which is a pretty amazing price when you think of it.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:04 AM   #14
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks for the reply. I think it was burnout revenge I was playing, at least the name sounds familiar.

Also I found the addons in the sony store, might have to grab a few of them. Thanks guys, I had no idea there even were any addons, so looks like I might start playing this game again. It kind of got stale for me, always the same thing, but new cars and stuff might spice it up some.

Crispy's Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #15
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

This is going to be awesome. I'll be buying the game just for this mode:

Apparently it's out April 30th.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #16
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
This is going to be awesome. I'll be buying the game just for this mode.

Apparently it's out April 30th.
Wow! I've been resisting buying extra stuff for the game so far. This may just change that!
Old 04-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #17
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
That game was burnout 3: takedown IIRC. that game rivals paradise for me. there was also a similar mode in burnout 2, but it only had 15 or so crash levels whereas takedown has many more. burnout revenge also has crash junctions, but there are multipliers and the like so depending if you like that sort of thing...

i run the 360 so not sure about the ps3 version...

i know what you mean about great content not being on the next version. the criterion team came out and said that they didn't want to do old stuff again...they wanted to keep doing new stuff. so i guess that's their deal.

i should add that i hated the demo on 360 and thought that they had wrecked the game...but i got it as a present and i played the real game...and it is awesome. and the price on the 360 is like $20 or close to it which is a pretty amazing price when you think of it.
i have a question. we bought burnout takedown for ps2 a long time ago for a fun racing game to play. it had a ton of those crash levels which weren't as fun. we have stayed away from burnout since. does burnout paradise have more actual racing in it? might be worth getting if there's less of those crashes to have to do.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:37 PM   #18
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
i have a question. we bought burnout takedown for ps2 a long time ago for a fun racing game to play. it had a ton of those crash levels which weren't as fun. we have stayed away from burnout since. does burnout paradise have more actual racing in it? might be worth getting if there's less of those crashes to have to do.
Events for Paradise are:

- Races
- Stunt runs (jumps, barrel rolls etc.)
- Road rage (takedowns)
- Marked man (get to destination without getting wrecked by other cars)
- Burning route (timed runs in specific cars)

Then it also has Road Rules which are best time and best crash on each road. Crash mode is a bit different, basically boost bounces your car. Goes for a lot longer and kind of sucks IMO.

Preferred Burnout 3 to Paradise, but what can you do. Prefered the defined tracks with multiple laps, handling, difficulty etc.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:03 AM   #19
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post

Preferred Burnout 3 to Paradise, but what can you do. Prefered the defined tracks with multiple laps, handling, difficulty etc.
I am in the same boat- I actually get frustrated finding my way around in Paradise. Using a regular old SDTV doesn't help either as the little mini map is rendered almost unreadable.

I liked how Burnout 3 had split screen multiplayer as well.