Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #21
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame On View Post
Any guesses as to this quote and whether that is for Alberta customers and any follow up to that?
This is actually annoying news. The wife has just given the green light to get one of these so I need to act now, not wait for a couple of months until she's cooled on the deal!
Looking on the forums, it seems like Shaw is up to their usual tricks.

One person called Shaw 3 times - twice they were told it would be available in Calgary April 1st and once they were told it would be available in non-digital Alberta (rural areas) April 1st and Calgary shortly after.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #22
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
The wife has just given the green light to get one of these so I need to act now, not wait for a couple of months until she's cooled on the deal!
Call up a Future Shop in Winnipeg. Do it on like a Tuesday afternoon when they are slow and the commission salesguy will be hungry for any kind of deal. The one in Transcona (Regent ave) would likely be the less busy one. See if they can ship one to you.

As much as this might suck, I can see why Shaw is doing this. I'm guessing employees have been beta testing for a while, next step is to release to one of your smaller markets to nail down any glitches. After that's passed they'd release it to their bigger markets.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:35 PM   #23
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Call up a Future Shop in Winnipeg. Do it on like a Tuesday afternoon when they are slow and the commission salesguy will be hungry for any kind of deal. The one in Transcona (Regent ave) would likely be the less busy one. See if they can ship one to you.

As much as this might suck, I can see why Shaw is doing this. I'm guessing employees have been beta testing for a while, next step is to release to one of your smaller markets to nail down any glitches. After that's passed they'd release it to their bigger markets.
Now that's an idea, and you think Shaw in Calgary would let us initialize that as our STB?
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:12 AM   #24
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

In one of the other Shaw PVR threads there's a link to DHC that has a "how to" get Shaw to activate a box bought in the States on their system. I would think that surely if they can do that, they can activate one that belongs on their system.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #25
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if I buy a used PVR, do I have to call Shaw and let them know I have a PVR?
Pagal4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #26
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
In one of the other Shaw PVR threads there's a link to DHC that has a "how to" get Shaw to activate a box bought in the States on their system. I would think that surely if they can do that, they can activate one that belongs on their system.
Except it's policy not to do that anymore.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #27
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagal4321 View Post
So if I buy a used PVR, do I have to call Shaw and let them know I have a PVR?
Yes.

It is possible that your used PVR will work for a period of time, but keep in mind it will "talk" to the home office; and at that point Shaw will know that it isn't on the node that its assigned to, and will be shut off pretty quick.

Shaw doesn't have a PVR fee IIRC, just a digital fee which includes any digital box; not just PVRs.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #28
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Except it's policy not to do that anymore.
Just to clarify, do you mean they won't activate non-Shaw PVRs? Or Shaw PVRs bought in another province?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #29
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes.

It is possible that your used PVR will work for a period of time, but keep in mind it will "talk" to the home office; and at that point Shaw will know that it isn't on the node that its assigned to, and will be shut off pretty quick.

Shaw doesn't have a PVR fee IIRC, just a digital fee which includes any digital box; not just PVRs.
Well already have a digital box, just upgrading to a PVR....so my bill shouldn't change at all, correct?
Pagal4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #30
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

That's my understanding of it. I'd double check with Shaw first- I don't use them for TV so I could be reading their pricing info wrong.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #31
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Just to clarify, do you mean they won't activate non-Shaw PVRs? Or Shaw PVRs bought in another province?
Not purchased from Shaw or an authorized dealer (Future Shop/Visions, etc.). Not sure what the policy is on Shaw hardware purchased outside of an area where it is not released yet. You mentioned the States, just wanted to make sure that was known. I know the topic on hand is moreso on if a shaw box purchased from Manitoba can be activated here or not, which is a different situation.

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 03-25-2008 at 03:00 PM.
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:16 PM   #32
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought one on ebay that they added and then the 2nd tuner didnt work so the guy sent a new one out for me and when I went to add it back on they said they dont add them anymore. Luckily I called the guy I dealt with on the first one I had and he wasnt aware of the change so they are going to swap it out for me with a refurbised unit, with a warranty!!
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:24 AM   #33
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, upon reading the Digital home forum there's a whole thread about how Shaw won't activate STB's from outside sources like ebay.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:08 AM   #34
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, upon reading the Digital home forum there's a whole thread about how Shaw won't activate STB's from outside sources like ebay.
That was only a recent change. I think FlamesKickAss was the last person in Canada that Shaw allowed to activate an outside box. Apparently, he was such a pain in their butt that they discontinued the practice. Thanks for ruining it for the rest of us!
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #35
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

no problem. it was as of march 7. I called the guy on the 10th and he didnt know. still waiting for my box...
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote