Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Lithium
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default newegg.ca and tigerdirect.ca

Has anybody here ever ordered a complete assembled system before?

I'm thinking about doing this in a couple months because the prices online are cheap compared to other places. The websites both have mixed reviews, but from the sounds of newegg.ca you will sometimes get an assembled PC that isn't really assembled correctly.

Thanks for everyone's input
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Personally I'd just go to Memory Express and price match everything, and not have to worry about a pre-assembled system getting damaged during shipping.

See; http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...ault.aspx?cc=1
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Esoteric For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

seconded on Memory Express, they will price match almost anything. plus no matter how good newegg or tigerdirect are, you still have to worry about shipping. and having worked at FedEx as a package handler years ago, an assembled PC is one thing i would never trust to a shipping company
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #4
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Yes, I don't bother with buying online anymore if MemEx has it in stock. I only have to go online for stuff they don't carry (unfortunately, a lot) but they should have everything you need for a basic system since they will price match anything.

Goto www.shopbot.ca before you buy any hardware. Print out the page and bring it to them.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:41 AM   #5
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd get an assembled rig from NCIX long before I'd consider Tiger Direct or even Newegg. I used NCIX for a build and everything went great. They also give a one year guarantee, so if any parts go south you don't have to deal with the manufacturers.

The thing is I don't live in Calgary or in NCIX's base of Vancouver, so I pretty much had to order on the net. I'd suggest using Memory Express also, I've ordered some parts from them (no PST and free shipping) and they seemed to be professional. Newegg has also been good. Tiger Direct are mostly overpriced and come off as carny salesmen while trying to pawn off out of date parts.

All of these retailers do have decent deals and seem to give good deals on different parts though. I've found Newegg is good for hard drives, NCIX is good for video cards and has great stock choice, Memory Express has decent prices for monitors. One thing I like about NCIX is their great forum. You can find lots of advice for your build there. As has been mentioned do a price match for every item, no matter where you purchase. Come to think of it probably only NCIX and Memory Express do price matching, so that should tell you something.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #6
Lithium
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
Personally I'd just go to Memory Express and price match everything, and not have to worry about a pre-assembled system getting damaged during shipping.

See; http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...ault.aspx?cc=1
Didn't know they did price matching, thank you
Old 07-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

No problem!

When I went to build my rig last year, I just created a spreadsheet and listed prices from Memory Express, NCIX, Newegg.ca, and TigerDirect. I handed it to the cashier, he verified the cheaper prices online, and I ended up saving about $600.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #8
Lithium
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wow $600 savings is nice. I discovered I get items at memex for cost+6%, hopefully that ends up being cheaper than price matching on other sites.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Its worth your time to price match. Memory Express can be a little more expensive than other places.

Just use Shopbot to find what you want, take the lowest price, and show it to Memory Express. There is a VERY good chance that you will save money.

A lot of online stores have lower prices but high shipping rates, which = win for someone who price matches. Especially if you have no shipping with Memory Express.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Also, MemEx will mount your CPU for you for free.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote