Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
dustyanddaflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default PS3/TV Issues

Hey guys, as always a wealth of knowledge here, so this is where I come to get answers. Just got a PS3 the other day, and brought it home and hooked it into my old big screen, you know the one with the speakers on the bottom and weighing close to a tonne?

Anyways been playing MLB The Show 10, and everything on the screen isn't clear, always fuzzy and the bodies of the players look like the have a ghost surrounding them an inch bigger than there actual bodies.

Not a big TV person so I need help. There is no HDMI cables, the only HD outlet is used for my satellite (the bulkier pronged one). The other option being the blue, red and green inlet to the tv, but I don't have the appropriate cables for the PS3 to do it. I played this game at my fiances house, and it looked fine, so I'm not sure the difference.

The TV is running on 1080i, yet in the setting for the PS3 it wont allow me to change it to that setting, just runs on standard. The other option with the cable I chose just the v-cord, and I believe that to be the correct option, as none of the others are right. And selected the 16x9 over the 4x3, which I believe to be right as well? No?

Does anyone have any ideas on what is wrong, or do I just need to upgrade the cables/tv?
dustyanddaflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
C-ero
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you are on composite (Yellow/Red/White) then it won't do 1080i. The max that the composite cables can do I believe is 480p.
C-ero is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C-ero For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah at minimum to get high definition you'll have to get a component cable adapter (that's the blue,red,green inputs).

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...6301ab963fen02

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #4
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

In a pinch you can use composite; red, white and yellow cables in the component red, green and blue connections. Just keep track of the colours and also add red and white cables for the audio.

Something else I saw on the net is that the PS3 may have propriety Sony component connections, so it may not work?
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:59 AM   #5
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can you actually just plug the yellow/white/red cables into the component holes?

Are you sure that isn't like, crossing the streams?

Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 01:14 AM   #6
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Can you actually just plug the yellow/white/red cables into the component holes?
You can if both devices have the component connections. The colours on the cables are just there to help you keep track of what you've plugged into what. In this case, it won't work because the PS3 doesn't have component connections and you have to have something to convert the PS3's output signal to a component signal.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:27 AM   #7
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That doesn't make sense to me.

The cables are a thicker diameter.

This is blowing my mind.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:18 AM   #8
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
That doesn't make sense to me.

The cables are a thicker diameter.

This is blowing my mind.
I've done it a couple of times, so I guess it works. The connections are the same and the cables are the same except the RCA are generally thinner so I wouldn't do it over long distances and the picture may be slightly degraded.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 02:27 AM   #9
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
In this case, it won't work because the PS3 doesn't have component connections and you have to have something to convert the PS3's output signal to a component signal.
Maybe something like this would be appropriate so he could also have the option of using more HDMI devices.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

It's too bad the monoprice site isn't taking orders at present. I need some more cables damn it and even ordering from Hong Kong is more expensive.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #10
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
In a pinch you can use composite; red, white and yellow cables in the component red, green and blue connections. Just keep track of the colours and also add red and white cables for the audio.

Something else I saw on the net is that the PS3 may have propriety Sony component connections, so it may not work?
Yes the PS3 does not have component connectors on it, you have to get an adapter which has the component ends for the TV on it anyway.

Plus using a composite cable for component is not the best idea. Component cables are supposed to have an impedance of 75 Ohms, while audio cables (the red/white/yellow composite ones) may have a lower impedance, in the 30-50 range.

Plus the composite cables are simple wires, while the component cables are actually coaxial cables.

Will they actually work? They will, but how well depends on a bunch of different factors.. because the impedance isn't matched you will get signal reflections inside the cable, which can degrade the picture quality. And because it's not coaxial, external factors will have a much greater impact, even coiling the cable up it can interfere with itself. HD signals are much higher frequency as well.

But for a really short run of a few feet where there happens to be little interference you might not notice any degraded signal.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #11
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

you can always ebay. Seems to he lots of cheap cables on there with near 100 percent feedback coming from the us
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #12
dustyanddaflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for all the help guys. But I got a couple more.
So if I run the yellow, red and white cables to the red, green and blue outlets on the tv, which goes into which? Ill obviously loose the sound through my receiver, is this the price to pay for a better picture for now?
Second, the future shop cables look like you may not be able to split the audio and video cables up, as itd have to be something I do to run video to the tv and audio to the receiver.
Thanks again for all your help.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can't do that.

Only the yellow is the video signal. The red and the white are audio (left and right stereo) signals. This is called composite.

The red,green and blue on the tv are all video signals. Those are called component signals.

You cannot mix composite and component.

You need to get the correct PS3 connector to get that type of connection. The PS3 comes with the composite connector (since that will work on almost every TV made in the past 20 years), To make the componenet work, you need a specific PS3 to component connector (like the ones Photon linked above).

Edit: the discussion above discussed whether you could use the same cables. But on a PS3, since the one end is a specific PS3 connection and not simply female connections, the discussion is moot.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti

Last edited by Bobblehead; 03-11-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #14
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyanddaflames View Post
So if I run the yellow, red and white cables to the red, green and blue outlets on the tv, which goes into which? Ill obviously loose the sound through my receiver, is this the price to pay for a better picture for now?
DO NOT DO THIS, you likely won't wreck anything but I can't guarantee it.

IF the PS3 had component outputs built in you could use a simple composite cable (yellow/red/white RCA connectors on BOTH ends) to connect the two, but this is not the case.

The cable you are using for video now has the yellow/red/white connectors on one end, but has the square AV port on the other.

So if you hook it up the way you suggest you will be feeding composite video and analog audio signals into ports expecting component video signals, the voltage levels might be different enough that it could damage your TV (I doubt it, but I don't know for sure).

If you want to use component video, you have to get the proper cable to get the component out of your PS3 first regardless of what you are hooking it up to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyanddaflames View Post
Second, the future shop cables look like you may not be able to split the audio and video cables up, as itd have to be something I do to run video to the tv and audio to the receiver.
Thanks again for all your help.
Yeah that can be a pain. The PS3 has an optical output though so if your receiver has a free optical input you could use that for audio. Or some of the video cables I've seen are such that you can actually pull them apart to split. Or you can get some female/female RCA adapters and male/male RCA extension cords to run the audio back to the receiver.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #15
burning_acid1
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Composite cables are necessary for your situation.
burning_acid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #16
dustyanddaflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hey guys, thanks for the help. Got an optical cable and have an HK AVR 130, but have a problem getting the setting to make the sound come out of my speakers. I have optical hooked into the optical 2 input.
Oh, and got component cables, way nicer. Thanks again everyone for your insight.

Last edited by dustyanddaflames; 03-12-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #17
dustyanddaflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

nmv got it!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to dustyanddaflames For This Useful Post: