Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2010, 12:18 AM   #1
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Daytime running lights - split from storm thread

To the moron on deerfoot driving through a snowstorm in pitch black without their lights on... I was not flashing my hi beams at you because I wanted to party. I was hoping you'd get the idea and say "oh yeah, I forgot to put my lights on. Silly me." But no, you decided it would be better if you go against the grain and say f the man. "I don't need no stinkin' headlights!"

Last edited by worth; 04-28-2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: typed on iPhone...a lot of spelling errors
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
To the moron on deerfiot driving through a snowstorm in pitch black without their lights on... I was not flashing my hi beams at you because I wanted to party. I was hoping youd get the idea and say "oh yeah, I forgot to put my lights on. Silly me." But no, you decided it would be better if you go against the grain and say f the man. "I don't need no stinkin headlights!"
Was this a white van and did you flash your headlights at it around the Beddington on ramp turn off area? My girlfriend and I were driving back from the Chinook Theatre and as we were getting on to the Beddington on ramp I noticed a van with absolutely no lights on. The car behind flashed its lights and then the van just turned on the right turn signal.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

No this was a mercedes SUV. Boggles my mind the number of people I see without lights on.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
No this was a mercedes SUV. Boggles my mind the number of people I see without lights on.
There's your answer. They are clearly to high-class to turn a switch on.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
I wonder why they don't have automatic lights considering my Cobalt has them. For that matter ALL Cobalts have them even the most base models with no AC or power windows... full headlights and tails come on when it gets even slightly dark or if you turn you wipers on at any time. Not sure why every vehicle does not do this.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I wonder why they don't have automatic lights considering my Cobalt has them. For that matter ALL Cobalts have them even the most base models with no AC or power windows... full headlights and tails come on when it gets even slightly dark or if you turn you wipers on at any time. Not sure why every vehicle does not do this.
My Jetta's running lights are front and back, which is interesting. There's absolutely no need to turn them on because they are always on anyway. Beams won't work unless the headlights are in the "on" position though.

Since front running lights are standard in Canada anyway, I don't see why everything, front and back, doesn't just come on when you turn the car on.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
My Jetta's running lights are front and back, which is interesting. There's absolutely no need to turn them on because they are always on anyway. Beams won't work unless the headlights are in the "on" position though.

Since front running lights are standard in Canada anyway, I don't see why everything, front and back, doesn't just come on when you turn the car on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
This is something that has driven me nuts for years. There are a lot of cars (especially Hondas and Toyotas) that rely on a backlit gauge cluster being lit whenever the car is on to display the gauges properly. When it turns dark out, the average appliance driving sheeple see their instrument cluster lit up and a bit of light showing in front of their car, and incorrectly assume their lights are on. They don't bother looking at the radio or air-con controls, which are not backlit constantly and could give them a clue. I think any car with a backlit gauge cluster should automatically be forced to be equipped with light sensing light switches. Like Acey said, that technology is not expensive these days.

The automotive purist in me detests cars that have all their lights on all the time; I find it aesthetically unpleasing, and it is a waste of light bulb life. I don't mind the way some manufacturers have ingeniously integrated day time running lights, but then there are others that take the cheap way out...
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Personally, I think daytime running lights should involve both front and back bulbs, mainly because too many people are too stupid to turn their lights on. Safety and visibility is more important than having to spend $10 to buy new bulbs one year sooner than you'd like.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

In my Rondo, I can just leave the headlights switch on all the time, it still turns off the headlights when you take the keys out of the ignition. So, my headlights are pretty much on all the time.

What I hate is the daytime running lights on newer Chrysler products, where it turns off the daytime running lights on the side of the vehicle that has a signal light on. Looks really bad, like a headlight is burnt out.

I'd be in full support of a law (like some places have) that say your headlights MUST be fully on if your wipers are on. Headlights should also be on in twilight conditions.

Headlights are more about others being able to see you, than for you to see the road - especially in city driving. Bright sunny day, and it doesn't make too much difference, but anytime when conditions are less then that, full headlights on should be mandatory.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding the bulb life factor, I honestly can only remember changing a rear bulb on my car (which has front and rear running lights on all of the time) once. And it is a 1996. And the filament of the bulb that was burnt out was the brake one, and not the regular taillight filament (it has one of those dual bulbs).

And although my console and gauge lights are on all of the time (can't notice them during the day though), all of my exterior lights are on. So I'm not one of those guys that Ironhorse hates.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #11
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
My Jetta's running lights are front and back, which is interesting. There's absolutely no need to turn them on because they are always on anyway.
You sure about that? I know on MKIV Jettas this is not the case. The tail lights won't be on. What year is your car?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:24 PM   #12
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
You sure about that? I know on MKIV Jettas this is not the case. The tail lights won't be on. What year is your car?
1996 Jetta GLS. Unless the wiring was modified (I bought it used in 2001) at some point before I got it. I thought it to be odd initially, so I did a few walk-arounds just to make sure. The on/off switch for the lights does absolutely nothing except allow you to use beams if it is on.

A little strange, but handy in a way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
1996 Jetta GLS. Unless the wiring was modified (I bought it used in 2001) at some point before I got it. I thought it to be odd initially, so I did a few walk-arounds just to make sure. The on/off switch for the lights does absolutely nothing except allow you to use beams if it is on.

A little strange, but handy in a way.
Ah, that would be a Mk III. Pretty sure that changed for the next generation and tail lights are no longer illuminated. With third brake lights now, not really sure why tail lights aren't on with the DRL's as yours were.

Really though, an "auto" mode with a light sensor should just be standard now. I'm shocked by higher end cars still missing this feature which is pretty old now.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #14
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
Really though, an "auto" mode with a light sensor should just be standard now. I'm shocked by higher end cars still missing this feature which is pretty old now.
Neither of my cars have this feature (newest is an '02 Mazda) - so I am wondering - what is the threshold that the sensor decides it is dark enough? On a day like today when it is snowing heavily, kind of dim, etc., would the lights kick in? Or does the driver still need to use common sense and flip them on when it is technically daytime but not necessarily a clear, sunny day?

(Thanks for the split, mods.)

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 04-28-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 04-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #15
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe it was an American model...
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #16
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you see a late model car with no daytime running lights, it is usually an imported car that was designated for sale in the US.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #17
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
What I hate is the daytime running lights on newer Chrysler products, where it turns off the daytime running lights on the side of the vehicle that has a signal light on. Looks really bad, like a headlight is burnt out.

You do realize this is designed to make the signal light more visible.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #18
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinner View Post
Maybe it was an American model...
This. Although by law they are required to put the DRL conversion on the car.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #19
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Signal light? In Calgary? Haven't seen one of those in a while.

Actually I don't mind the Chryslers that turn off the light to make the signal light more visible. Looks kind of funny at first, but especially because many cars have the signal light so close to the headlight, it does make it easier to see.

That being said, I often don't trust the signal lights of other people anymore. My assumption is that they accidentally bumped it while reaching for their cell phone and don't realize that it is on! I'm joking - sort of.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #20
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
I assume that is the theoretical reasoning, but you can see the signals just fine with the light still on on other cars.

At best, it seems completely unneccessary.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote