Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
MissKat
Watcher of Hockey

Exp:
Default Any telus high speed internet users?

Or "extreme" is what they go by. Its with their newest and best modem - the Siemens wireless and has a built in router with firewall.

Im having one sent to me since it was no charge, and I guess its 6MB/sec as opposed to the standard high speed of 1.5MB/sec.

Im curious to know how good of quality the router/firewall is in this modem - ive never seen an all in one. And is it worth selling/getting rid of my current Linksys WRT54GS for it?
"Who's that Boston goalies name?...Thomas? Oh ya Thomas Broduer, and who does he play for again? Oh ya Boston, the Boston Hurricanes?" - words from my Idiot bro in law - biggest noob when it comes to hockey.
MissKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:51 PM   #2
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

to my knowledge, no matter what you will need to use the telus router as it will turn the phone line into the adsl internet.
Your linksis requires internet to go into it first, and will not turn the phone line into internet.

and i use the one you are getting, and i dont use anything ontop of it, works well

Last edited by flamesfan6; 02-05-2009 at 11:53 PM.
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:53 PM   #3
MissKat
Watcher of Hockey

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan6 View Post
isnt the linksys one just a router you need the interent going into in the first place?

the telus modem will turn the regular phone line into the adsl and also act as a router.

and i use the one you are getting, and i dont use anything ontop of it, works well imo
The linksys I have is a 4 port router with up to 4 wired devices hooked up to it. And has a very good firewall built in.
"Who's that Boston goalies name?...Thomas? Oh ya Thomas Broduer, and who does he play for again? Oh ya Boston, the Boston Hurricanes?" - words from my Idiot bro in law - biggest noob when it comes to hockey.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

read my modified post, it should clarify what i was trying to say in the first try

and the siemens is the same, 4 ethernet spots + wireless, but doesnt have the "n" wireless technology.
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still have the old 1.5Mb, and my account is flagged as grandfathered so I believe that exempts me from bandwidth caps (I rarely go over, but it is nice to know I can). I would prefer not to screw with it. Plus, a couple years ago I had to have my DSL modem replaced and the tech who came out measured my service and said there was no way my circuit could get much higher until the local Telus) infrastructure was upgraded.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I recently got Telus, and was happy to hear I was getting a new router out of the deal.

I will describe the Telus router in one word: Craptacular. As soon as I tried to secure the wireless I started having issues with it dropping wireless connections. The interface is clumsy, and doesn't inspire confidence.

I went and bought a new D-Link "N" router for $50 and haven't had any issues with it. However it is handy to have the Telus modem with 4 wired ports built in.

As for Telus' speed- they just aren't quite as fast as Shaw. Close- but the big thing that Shaw did better was caching web pages.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
MissKat
Watcher of Hockey

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan6 View Post
read my modified post, it should clarify what i was trying to say in the first try

and the siemens is the same, 4 ethernet spots + wireless, but doesnt have the "n" wireless technology.
Ah ok thanks - I guess I will end up selling off this Linksys router when I get the telus one.

Last edited by MissKat; 02-06-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
MissKat
Watcher of Hockey

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I recently got Telus, and was happy to hear I was getting a new router out of the deal.

I will describe the Telus router in one word: Craptacular. As soon as I tried to secure the wireless I started having issues with it dropping wireless connections. The interface is clumsy, and doesn't inspire confidence.

I went and bought a new D-Link "N" router for $50 and haven't had any issues with it. However it is handy to have the Telus modem with 4 wired ports built in.

As for Telus' speed- they just aren't quite as fast as Shaw. Close- but the big thing that Shaw did better was caching web pages.
Oh you can still plug in an ext. router? How does it all connect? Wall cable to ADSL on modem, ethernet on modem to router, same as before?
Old 02-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Yep. Think of it as just another ADSL modem; just with 4 output ports instead of 1.

So for me I have it upstairs beside my main PC, and the wireless router between the modem and the PC. Then one of the lines from the modem runs downstairs to my network switch that runs the rest of the wired ports in the house/garage.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I got upgraded to extreme some time ago, but the speed seems to rarely go above 4 Mbps. I'm definitely not getting the 6 Mbps advertised. Would I really need a new router from them? I have their older 2Wire one.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #11
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post

close? well i guess the 6 mpbs telus extreme is faster than the 5 mbps Shaw regular high speed, though that will be changing. Shaw is beta testing in Saskatoon the new speed increases (7.5 mbps for regular, 15 mbps for extreme, and 100 mbps for nitro) and they seem quite close to a full release. i believe the bandwidth caps are also getting a bump (heard up to 100 gb/mo for regular) though we haven't gotten any official numbers
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #12
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Was just going to call Telus to complain about high-speed "Extreme", only to find it is no more. Regular High-Speed service now ranges from DL speeds of 1.5-6.0 Mbps. But I *AM* upgrading to the latest and greatest high-speed Turbo, which is promising DL speeds of 10.0-15.0 Mbps. Cap increases from 60 GB/month to 100 GB/month.

*crosses fingers* I'm on hold now while they schedule the service technician appointment.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #13
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
Was just going to call Telus to complain about high-speed "Extreme", only to find it is no more. Regular High-Speed service now ranges from DL speeds of 1.5-6.0 Mbps. But I *AM* upgrading to the latest and greatest high-speed Turbo, which is promising DL speeds of 10.0-15.0 Mbps. Cap increases from 60 GB/month to 100 GB/month.

*crosses fingers* I'm on hold now while they schedule the service technician appointment.
Thanks for pointing this out. I check the Telus site from time to time to see if they have increased their offerings, and now they have. I ordered it online, and it will be interesting to see if the upgrade is worth it. I wonder if they will send me another ADSL router or not, I already have one that works fine, obviously, and they do ask if you are an existing Telus high speed user.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:58 AM   #14
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I got upgraded to extreme some time ago, but the speed seems to rarely go above 4 Mbps. I'm definitely not getting the 6 Mbps advertised. Would I really need a new router from them? I have their older 2Wire one.
Wow. I get 4.5 with Shaw. High speed {not lite} every day speeds.
Supposedly they are going to bump it to 7.5 in the next few weeks.
Works for me.
Also Bundle my phone,internet,cable for about $150 a month.
No contracts which is a plus.

Last edited by keratosis; 02-16-2009 at 03:08 AM.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #15
MissKat
Watcher of Hockey

Exp:

I got my new modem last week and so far so good. Im still using my router hooked up to it. But its definitely not nearly as fast as Shaws high speed.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #16
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Thanks for pointing this out. I check the Telus site from time to time to see if they have increased their offerings, and now they have. I ordered it online, and it will be interesting to see if the upgrade is worth it. I wonder if they will send me another ADSL router or not, I already have one that works fine, obviously, and they do ask if you are an existing Telus high speed user.
I am having a service technician come to the house -- apparently they need to come to the home for the install, and I also have to designate one of my phone jacks to be dedicated to internet service. Not sure of the technical aspects of it. I was also told that 1) the 2wire gateway I have should be fine for this speed, but I am being sent a new Siemens gateway in the mail "just in case", 2) I may be getting slower than advertised speed now due to sharing the phone and DSL service - the microfilters can help but not eliminate these speed issues.

The tech visit is tomorrow, so I'll keep you posted. Good luck with the online ordering, I was too leery to try it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKat View Post
I got my new modem last week and so far so good. Im still using my router hooked up to it. But its definitely not nearly as fast as Shaws high speed.
What kind of speed are you getting now? Close to 6?
Old 02-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #17
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I am having a service technician come to the house -- apparently they need to come to the home for the install, and I also have to designate one of my phone jacks to be dedicated to internet service. Not sure of the technical aspects of it. I was also told that 1) the 2wire gateway I have should be fine for this speed, but I am being sent a new Siemens gateway in the mail "just in case", 2) I may be getting slower than advertised speed now due to sharing the phone and DSL service - the microfilters can help but not eliminate these speed issues.

The tech visit is tomorrow, so I'll keep you posted. Good luck with the online ordering, I was too leery to try it myself.

My install is scheduled for the 19th, so please let me know how it goes for you. I asked tech support via an email why a tech had to come out, and was told it was due to the "complexity" of the Turbo service. I am guessing that what they do is use the second physical phone line as a dedicated ADSL line, hence the need for a tech to switch the wiring on one jack over to the second line at the wiring block where their cable enters the house.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #18
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
My install is scheduled for the 19th, so please let me know how it goes for you. I asked tech support via an email why a tech had to come out, and was told it was due to the "complexity" of the Turbo service. I am guessing that what they do is use the second physical phone line as a dedicated ADSL line, hence the need for a tech to switch the wiring on one jack over to the second line at the wiring block where their cable enters the house.
That sounds familiar. Mine was made further complicated by the fact that I have a second phone line (installed for a work-at-home pilot with my employer) that is no longer in use. The problem is that line is not ideal to use for Turbo due to my existing wireless and wired network. So I think the tech needs to route that line so that it functions with other jacks as my phone line, and the second line will move to the existing jack I use for my internet. The rep on the phone said something needs to be physically installed in that jack I think.

I will definitely post my experience when all is said and done.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #19
MissKat
Watcher of Hockey

Exp:

Quote:

How do I check? is there a speedtest site like shaw has? Whats the standard d/l and u/l speeds?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #20
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The speedtest that Telus used to have on their website is no longer there, at least not that I can find. Try http://www.speedtest.net/.

Before my appointment tomorrow, here's my current speed (which as I mentioned is about half of what's advertised):