Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2024, 10:34 AM   #1
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Calgary Surge 2024 Season

Thought I would start a thread for a league that I want to see succeed in Calgary. If you haven't been to a game I would encourage you to check it out. They create a fun atmosphere playing out of Winsport. A beautiful facility that is the appropriate size for this league.

Their first game of the season is tonight against Edmonton and it will be played at the Saddledome. Interested to see what kind of crowd they can draw for this one off season opener.
GC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GC91 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 11:23 AM   #2
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

This was taken from a reddit poster. (Middleprestigious331) hopefully they don't mind me posting this as I want to promote this league to Calgary sports fans.------

In what may be the most loaded backcourt in the history of the CEBL, the returning duo of Stef Smith and Sean “Rugzy” Miller-Moore will get the nod to start. The pair were looked at as a pair of good, reliable young pieces at the start of last season, and absolutely blew everyone’s expectations out of the water with their play.

As for the bench, Corey Davis Jr. has been brought in to act as the flame thrower off the bench. He is the high level outside shooter that the team sorely missed last year. Mathieu Kamba is a two-time CEBL champion who joins his hometown Surge after splitting the start of his career between the Edmonton Stingers and Spain. Malcolm Duvivier returns to the league for his fifth season, but his first outside of the Bandits organization. Both are known firstly for their perimeter defense but have also averaged double-digit scoring.

In the front court, Justin Lewis is a plus athlete who has Summer League and G-League experience. He has all the tools to be among the league’s best rim scorers this season. Gabe Osabuohien is a West Virginia alum who – like every other Mountaineer – prioritizes defense first, second and third. Billy Preston is a former 5-star recruit out of high school who had off court issues completely negate his collegiate career at Kansas. After bouncing around the G-League in his first year as a pro, he has struggled to find consistent time on the court. However, he’ll be looking to prove that he still has all the ability that made him such a hyped prospect.

Former NBA draft pick Justin Jackson will bring leadership and scoring into the rotation. Emmanuel Ansah is a recent U SPORTS grad who will be given the opportunity to be the first big off the bench.

Further down the depth chart, Dondre Reddick was one of the best players in Canada this past season and would have a bigger role on any other team but is stuck behind an incredibly deep group of guards in Calgary. Smith is expected to miss the first few games as he finishes his season overseas, so Reddick should have the chance to show what he can do and earn minutes later in the year. Matt Grace and Justin Jackson will mostly likely flip-flop in and out of the rotation all season; I just opted to put Jackson ahead for the sake of this exercise as he’s the more experienced pro.

The Surge built their reputation last year on the back of strong defense, and this season will be no different. However, the addition of Davis, Kamba and Duvivier should help with bench scoring and three-point shooting, both areas where the team struggled last year.

Last edited by GC91; 05-21-2024 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Credit of writing
Old 05-21-2024, 12:25 PM   #3
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Not sure moving to the Saddledome is the right move yet.

Listen for my friend DJ Majesti.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 12:57 PM   #4
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

This is just a one-off game which I think is a fun idea for the season opener. They are still playing out of Winsport for the remainder of their home games which I think is the perfect facility for this level of basketball. I agree that they should not be looking to play out of the Saddledome on permanent basis as they would not draw a large enough crowd to create the kind of atmosphere that they have while playing at Winsport.

I am curious what the economic picture looks like to keep this league afloat long-term. I enjoy having the option to attend low level pro basketball, soccer (Cavalry), baseball (Dawgs) in Calgary as I know we could not support top tier leagues for any of these sports. I know ticket prices seem a bit high for this level especially if you want to take the family to a game. I wish there were more affordable options for family packages to attend all of these teams.
Old 05-21-2024, 01:10 PM   #5
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Using the target score in the CEBL really sets it apart. The games are an absolute blast! Went to a couple of last season and ended up getting season tickets for this year.
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 02:22 PM   #6
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Planning on checking out a Surge game this year with some Foot Soldiers who are huge basketball fans. Would definitely pay more attention if it were in winter months but I get why they play when they do.

When the Stingers played BCLA games at Winsport a couple years ago I went. Great little arena for it and with a few tweaks to what I experienced (massive line at concessions) is the perfect fit.

Sound really bounced off the roof which I'm not used to at Cavalry games.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 08:22 PM   #7
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great marketing from the Surge in the offseason. Wonder if this is an event they'll do every year, could become a good tradition.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1793102107492696443

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 11:15 AM   #8
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Planning on checking out a Surge game this year with some Foot Soldiers who are huge basketball fans. Would definitely pay more attention if it were in winter months but I get why they play when they do.

When the Stingers played BCLA games at Winsport a couple years ago I went. Great little arena for it and with a few tweaks to what I experienced (massive line at concessions) is the perfect fit.

Sound really bounced off the roof which I'm not used to at Cavalry games.

They've since opened up all 4 concession windows and added additional beverage only stations, so the lines move really quickly.

Love being an OG season ticket holder. I was hoping to move my single seat closer to the floor and was told that the renewal rate was insanely high and nothing opened up!
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote