Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2016, 11:38 AM   #1
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Gary Lawless on the 7 Canadian teams

Has the Flames currently behind the Habs as closest to making the playoffs. Here's his take on the Flames:

2. Calgary Flames: GM Brad Treliving has two priorities this off-season: Find a No. 1 goalie and extend Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan. Issues in the crease held the Flames back this season. The sit 30th in the NHL is team save percentage and 11th in goals for. The Flames have north of $12 million coming off the books in goalie salary. The UFA goalie market isn’t deep, with Cam Ward and James Reimer being the most interesting names. Could Treliving pry prospect Matt Murray out of Pittsburgh prior to an expansion draft?

The Flames have strong pieces on the blueline and two of the NHL’s best young players in Gaudreau and Monahan. They’re not far off.

Estimated time of playoffs: 2016-17

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian-teams-and...ility-1.465033
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

fair assessment.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #3
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

We're the best. #### you NHL.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:45 AM   #4
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with all of these...Flames are right there, looking at the current wildcard teams I am shocked some think it will be years before the Flames get back to the playoffs. Its gonna be low 90s for playoffs. Come on Flames get a facking goal tender and a RWer and lose some dead weight.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #5
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree that Montreal should be #1 and Calgary #2 (talking about who is the closest to the playoffs).

Being in the east, with Price in the lineup they are a playoff team. Period.

The Flames need to improve some things. They need a #1 goalie, which is a challenge. But if they fix the goaltending, they are right there as a playoff contender.

The other teams have more issues than that.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn't finding a No. 1 goalie, signing Gaudreau and signing Monahan be 3 things?
Old 04-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing 2018/2019 for Edmonton puts a smile on the face. Might be a touch optimistic given the last decade of evidence.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #8
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Poe: They do everything together. Counts as one thing.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2016, 12:01 PM   #9
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Wouldn't finding a No. 1 goalie, signing Gaudreau and signing Monahan be 3 things?
lol
Dr. Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:08 PM   #10
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Apparently all the Canadian teams will be in the playoffs in three years haha.

Good luck Vancouver and Toronto.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:09 PM   #11
Point Blank
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Apparently all the Canadian teams will be in the playoffs in three years haha.

Good luck Vancouver and Toronto.
And Edmonton.
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
The Oilers won't finish 14th in the West forever.

Eventually a couple of expansion teams will be added which will nestle the Oilers into 16th.
Point Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:16 PM   #12
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I still don't get the Montreal love. Price is amazing...but the rest of that team....Subban I like, but he's not a whole D core. And up front....Gallagher and Patch are decent, but not stars. Just don't see what the hubbub is about on Montreal and why they are consistently ranked higher than anyone else.

Eastern bias? Softer division? Just 'price will lead us to the promised land' belief?
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benched For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #13
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Craig Button said on that's hockey a week or so ago that he felt the Flames were the closest Canadian team to becoming a cup contender. If the Flames nab a goalie this summer I expect a lot of love coming our way at the season prediction shows in September/October
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #14
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Next year I think the Flames make a push for a playoff spot. Maybe they fall short, but I'm confident they take a step in the right direction.

The season after is where things get interesting, as most of the dead weight is off the roster, and Bennett will be starting his 3rd full NHL season.

Gaudreau - Monahan - ????????
????????? - Bennett - ????????
Colborne - Backlund - Frolik
L Bouma - M Stajan - ????????

Giordano - Hamilton
Jokipakka - Brodie
????????? - ????????

???????
Ortio

Will be interesting to see who BT fills the blanks in with over the next two off seasons and one regular season.

Several spots will likely be filled internally, starting hopefully with the upcoming 2016 1st round draft pick.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #15
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

well I guess that's another consideration.

'getting to the playoffs' vs. 'making noise in the playoffs'.

the article is about getting there. and I'd agree the Habs probably do have a good chance to get back there with Price. I just don't see how they can win.

the Flames are behind them today, but I forsee greater heights and a much better chance to actually compete for the cup, not just eke in and fizzle out. (although IF we make it next year....that's what I'd expect to happen)
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:23 PM   #16
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny, I don't see Vancouver anywhere close in 18/19. They are slowly going to get worse unless they manage to trade the Sedin's for some assets before they retire. They have a horrible prospect pool and trade away their better prospects for below average NHLers. I think you see them become one of the worst teams in the NHL for a very, very long time...which suits me just fine.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #17
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Funny, I don't see Vancouver anywhere close in 18/19. They are slowly going to get worse unless they manage to trade the Sedin's for some assets before they retire. They have a horrible prospect pool and trade away their better prospects for below average NHLers. I think you see them become one of the worst teams in the NHL for a very, very long time...which suits me just fine.
I agree - but the Flames were in a similar situation when they moved Iginla/Bouwmeester and it wasn't that long until they were in the playoffs. Just need to land one of the best forwards and one of the best defenseman in the league in the 4th round a few times
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:35 PM   #18
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
double post
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:36 PM   #19
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
I still don't get the Montreal love. Price is amazing...but the rest of that team....Subban I like, but he's not a whole D core. And up front....Gallagher and Patch are decent, but not stars. Just don't see what the hubbub is about on Montreal and why they are consistently ranked higher than anyone else.

Eastern bias? Softer division? Just 'price will lead us to the promised land' belief?
To be fair, Galchenyuk seems to have broken out this season, 27 goals and 52 points, 3rd straight year he's put up better numbers than his previous season. Looks to be turning into the number 1 centre they need. With Pacioretty, Plekanac and Gallagher, they have the makings of a solid forward core. Nothing spectacular, but decent enough.

I think their 2 main problems this season have been management and injuries. Lost Subban, Gallagher, Price and Desharnais for a number of games. Get full seasons out of those guys and they'll be way better. But Bergevin needs to chop Therrien. The guy has been a flat out disaster for the Habs this season. I mean, throwing Subban under a bus for an honest mistake? Braindead. They just seem to have been badly coached. Although I suppose they'll give him next season to see if they can rebound and if they can't, he'll be on his way.

I do think there is some Eastern bias, but at the same time, with their main men fit and firing, they are a side that is more than capable of getting a round or 2 deep into the play offs. Obviously all hinges on Price staying fit, but still.
JJ1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #20
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1532 View Post
To be fair, Galchenyuk seems to have broken out this season, 27 goals and 52 points, 3rd straight year he's put up better numbers than his previous season. Looks to be turning into the number 1 centre they need. With Pacioretty, Plekanac and Gallagher, they have the makings of a solid forward core. Nothing spectacular, but decent enough.

I think their 2 main problems this season have been management and injuries. Lost Subban, Gallagher, Price and Desharnais for a number of games. Get full seasons out of those guys and they'll be way better. But Bergevin needs to chop Therrien. The guy has been a flat out disaster for the Habs this season. I mean, throwing Subban under a bus for an honest mistake? Braindead. They just seem to have been badly coached. Although I suppose they'll give him next season to see if they can rebound and if they can't, he'll be on his way.

I do think there is some Eastern bias, but at the same time, with their main men fit and firing, they are a side that is more than capable of getting a round or 2 deep into the play offs. Obviously all hinges on Price staying fit, but still.
As mentioned above, Price seems to be the only guy they mention injury wise. I think there's only one team who have lost more man games to injury than Montreal this year.

Totally agree that Therrien HAS to go. The mindless wonder waited way too long to put their most talented player at his proper position and on the top line. Galchenyuk is the real deal, no way were they shopping this guy at the deadline.

Montreal isn't far off, but I'm concerned with their size. Gallagher plays big, but Plekanec, Byron, Desharnais... those guys get obliterated come playoff time when the whistles seem to go away and it gets more physical.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post: