Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default World War Z Discussion Thread

Saw it tonight. It was fun. Not overly memorable, but I wouldn't call it a bad movie by any stretch. Just a fun action movie.

I'm not familiar with the book at all, so I have no idea how true it is to the source material. I've read a lot of book fans saying the movie looked awful and were pissed off by the look of the zombies, but as a guy who never read the books, I had fun with the movie.

Pleasantly surprised as I didn't think the trailer looked great, but again, far from a great movie.

Haters of shaky cam will get pissed off though. There's quite a bit going on especially during the in your face zombie scenes, which are plentiful in this flick.

6.5/10 is fair I think and currently sitting with some pretty positive critic reviews.

VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
Haters of shaky cam will get pissed off though. There's quite a bit going on especially during the in your face zombie scenes, which are plentiful in this flick.
Shaky cam + 3D really doesn't work. It seems like they figured that out 1/2 way through this movie.

It's too bad it sounds like they rushed this movie, started filming before the script was done, had to re-jig the script, and thus had to re-shot a bunch of the movie, and piece it all together to try to make sense of it.

Apparently they are planning a trilogy with this. They didn't touch 70-80% of what was in the book, so they would have plenty of material to work with.

Apparently they cut out most of the giant Russia fight scene at the end, which is too bad. As per my post in the other thread, I really hope they release all the unused footage on blu ray.

7/10
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:46 AM   #3
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Shaky cam eh?

So basically another Man of Steel where you can't even watch the damn movie because it filmed like s***? Or is it better than MoS (camera wise)?
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm generally not interested in zombie movies per se, but this one has caught my eye. I will check it out at some point.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

So is it World war Zed or World war Zee?
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its ZZee double the E double the flava

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really enjoyed the book, was surprised by the amount of mentioned Canada got in the book. Heard the movie is nothing like it, but will still check it out.

Can we please use spoilers in this thread?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

The book is great - but the format is not a character driven narrative, but rather separate individual accounts of various parts of the war. Does the movie preserve this style at all? If not - it seems like it would be World War Z in name only.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
The book is great - but the format is not a character driven narrative, but rather separate individual accounts of various parts of the war. Does the movie preserve this style at all? If not - it seems like it would be World War Z in name only.
Based on the glamour shots of Brad Pitt I'm guessing it totally abandons the structure/narrative of the book. Which to me was the best part about the book, at least for the me. It wasn't about the hoards & hoards of zombies, but the many different takes/experiences that resulted from the hoards.

Loved the book, but I'm gonna wait for this one on Blu-ray
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

If you're a desk jockey, go on YouTube and listen to the entire Audiobook for a day. It's about six hours, and I was very satisfied.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Shaky cam eh?

So basically another Man of Steel where you can't even watch the damn movie because it filmed like s***? Or is it better than MoS (camera wise)?
Overall the camera work was better than MoS. It's just during some of the zombie swarm scenes where it's too much. Picture Cloverfield in 3D with fast cuts.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Is the movie from multiple stand points or just from the view of Brad Pitt?

In the book it is essentially a journalist who travels around interviewing people post war about their experiences.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #13
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just Brad Pitt.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #14
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

this can never be a good sign

http://litreactor.com/news/max-brook...ld-war-z-movie

Quote:
Authors disliking film adaptations of their work is nothing new. Stephen King, Alan Moore, Anthony Burgess, Ken Kesey and a host of other writers have publicly slammed movies supposedly based on their work.
Now we can add Max Brooks, author of the book World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, to that prestigious list. The Huffington Post reports that Brooks gave nothing but low marks for the blockbuster starring Brad Pitt during an interview at Mansfield University in Pennsylvania , stating that the film only shares his book's title, "and that's it."
Adding insult to injury, Brooks claims the producers didn't approach him to look at the script until after filming already began. To which he replied:
"Why would I read this? This is not the movie you're going to make," Brooks said. "You're going to do rewrites and reshoots. That's what happens when you make a giant movie. My attitude is if you haven't invited me in to contribute, then fine. Go make the movie you want to make and I'll see it when it comes out."
As for fans of his novel, Brooks had this warning:
"I cannot guarantee that the movie will be the book that they love. And I'm in no position to tell people to see this movie or not see it. If I'm asked I say: See the movie as a movie and judge it as a movie."
Which is solid advice, all you purists out there. Movies are fundamentally different, and thus they'll never be exactly like the book. Still, Brooks' frustration is understandable, as it's beginning to sound like the movie bears no resemblance whatsoever to its source material. He could always go the Stephen King route and remove his name from the film, as the King of Horror did with The Lawnmower Man.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dennis..._books_top_art

Quote:
"I cannot guarantee that the movie will be the book that they love," Brooks said. "And I'm in no position to tell people to see this movie or not see it. If I'm asked I say: See the movie as a movie and judge it as a movie."

Quote:
Old 06-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #15
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Really enjoyed the book, was surprised by the amount of mentioned Canada got in the book. Heard the movie is nothing like it, but will still check it out.

Can we please use spoilers in this thread?
Really? I didn't think we got mentioned all that much at all. With the exepction of the Norther US folks moving up into southern Manitoba, the Canadian angle didn't come up much at all IMO.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #16
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Really? I didn't think we got mentioned all that much at all. With the exepction of the Norther US folks moving up into southern Manitoba, the Canadian angle didn't come up much at all IMO.
PPCLI 3, Stanley McDonald get's a full chapter IIRC....

http://www.shmoop.com/world-war-z/st...macdonald.html

I also seem to recall a mention of canadian involvement in some type of weapons system to fight Zack

Quote:
Old 06-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #17
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
If you're a desk jockey, go on YouTube and listen to the entire Audiobook for a day. It's about six hours, and I was very satisfied.
I just downloaded the unabridged version from Audible. I've been meaning to read this for awhile and the voice actors they got are impressive. I look forward to work tomorrow.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #18
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have 5 tickets (2 Children & 3 Adult) for World War Z tonight at 7:40 at the Chinook Ultra AVX.

I live in the NE and I don't think it's worth it to try and get across the river with all the flooding so I bought 5 new tickets for Sunridge.

If someone wants the tickets PM me your email and I'll forward them to you. They are scan and print. No charge, just someone may as well enjoy them.

nm, just found out Chinook is closed because of the weather.

Last edited by Radio; 06-21-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #19
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought it was awesome
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #20
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few good jump out of seat moments.

Pretty predictable at times. Fun though. Be sure to see it at the theatres.