Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:
Default Android must have apps/games

we already have the iphone apps thread and i couldn't find anything similar for the Android so i figured why not start one. i just picked up an HTC Desire Z and am really impressed with it, i like the Android 2.2 interface much better than the iOS, though the one negative i have is how late to the party Android is for getting the top mobile games. hopefully though with how strong the Angry Bird downloads were and the new 2.3 Gingerbread platform that'll change

the only game i've really thought worthwhile is the aforementioned Angry Birds, while my favorite apps are the NHL Gamecenter one and Gigbox, which tells you when your favorite bands will be playing anywhere near your location. anyone have some good recommendations?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Have you tried Alchemy? Pretty cool, not a game you would play for more than a few minutes at a time but entertaining.

I just got a Galaxy S Fascinate and love it.

As far as apps go Zedge is awesome, free wallpapers and ring tones. Buzzbox is pretty decent for news. I got Wikimobile and Google Skymap but haven't used either yet.

On a side note, anyone tried syncing their outlook calender? It worked the first time but every time I try now it will only add from the phone to outlook and not from outlook to the phone. After searching it sounds like outlook sync with Android has some problems.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Google skymap is pretty cool as are google goggles, these are just cool apps overall. As for games I really like that I have an SNES and NES emulator on my phone, so SNESoid and NESoid take up lots a lots of my time, best of all you can stream your old favorite games.

If you are a hard core gamer you can get huge immersive games like Dungeon hunter , raging thunder, etc. Causual games I like abduction, amtlee, gem miner, panzer panic, word drop, etc.

There's also ACV for comics and graphic novels if you like that.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Layar, you point your camera at something and you can get wiki information on it.

Last edited by FlameOn; 12-17-2010 at 05:00 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
Josh
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yes, I've experienced outlook sync issues on my captivate as well (AT&T) this is an issue that will supposedly be cleared up when 2.2 (Froyo) is pushed out for these phones. As far as cool apps, I really like google's "My Tracks" for my motorcycle rides. This allows me to track what roads I've gone on when I'm out "exploring".

Other than that I have the usual angry birds, tetris, solitare etc.

Also I use Launcher Pro as my default launcher now.

BTW, I'm a former iPhone user and absolutely LOVE my android.
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am pretty addicted to doodle jumpt
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am pretty addicted to doodle jump
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:36 AM   #7
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Most of the apps on my phone are the mobile version of essentials I have on my PCs (Windows and Linux) like Dropbox, Evernote, Skype and PayPal.

I am colour blind, and have found Color Detector to be a useful app. I can take pics of clothes in the morning to make sure they match.
Iceman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #8
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Runkeeper is good for keeping track of workouts, Advanced Task Killer is great for helping with battery issues. I use the Yahoo! fantasy apps to keep track of my teams, as well.

I have the Motorola Droid X and love it!
Montana Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:36 PM   #9
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just got an Android so I've been busy trying to find some great apps.

Can anyone recommend a Keyboard? I tried the Swift Key Keyboard and it seems pretty good. Wondering if anyone has a recommendation?

And Browsers. Dolphin HD seems decent. I like the tabs. What I really need is a good ad blocking plugin. The reviews for the one plugin for Dolphin HD aren't great. Are there any good ad blockers for other browsers?
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:20 PM   #10
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Swype is a great keyboard if you can get in on a beta, or it comes with your phone.

For browsers, try Fennec (Firefox mobile). I haven't tried it yet, but have heard some good things about it.
Iceman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iceman90 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2010, 07:33 AM   #11
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Swype came with my Galaxy and I love it, I'll have to give Fennec a try.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

game dev story is an awesome game for android. You run a game studio, hire employees, train employees, select what kind of games you want to create and for what console. Eventually with money you can create your own games.

Pretty deep for a phone game. Your games get "reviewed" and magazine articles about the game get published. You can read fan letters. On top of that you advertise and select what you want to appear with you at the games convention.
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finner View Post
game dev story is an awesome game for android. You run a game studio, hire employees, train employees, select what kind of games you want to create and for what console. Eventually with money you can create your own games.

Pretty deep for a phone game. Your games get "reviewed" and magazine articles about the game get published. You can read fan letters. On top of that you advertise and select what you want to appear with you at the games convention.
$5? pretty expensive for an Android game, and no free demo to try either
Old 12-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #14
amorak
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bes android program: http://www.redmondpie.com/bestappever
amorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #15
chowdachad
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
$5? pretty expensive for an Android game, and no free demo to try either
you can try any app for 15 minutes if you don't like it uninstall it and you get your money back
chowdachad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:21 PM   #16
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

stumbled onto an awesome new game, Rocket Bunnies

http://www.talkandroid.com/23819-bla...-bunnies-game/

if you have the Barcode scanner app, just scan the box below the youtube video and it'll bring you to the market page. and what i find promising is the developer Defiant released it on the Android market before the iphone, Android's market share is starting to have some effect it seems

Last edited by Hemi-Cuda; 12-20-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #17
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few apps I find useful/fun:

Vlingo
NHL GameCenter
Angry Birds
GPS Status
WiFi Buddy
PhoneUsage
Live Holdem
Scanner Radio (police scanner)
Miren Browser
Kamikaze Race
TuneIn Radio
AYAL Music Pro (download music; but has been known to be buggy)
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #18
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone used the Kobo eReader app on their phone? I'm debating buying something but I'm not sure how it will be on a small screen and I don't really feel like spending the money on an actual eReader.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #19
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aren't there free books that you can load to test it out? I think War and Peace, and other Classics are on there...
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #20
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I decided to create an account because I noticed the free preview feature. I don't think I could justify buying book to read on my phone, the screen just isn't big enough. Maybe for a long trip it would come in handy, but not for every day reading.

Also the search is bizarre, I searched a book, found it, created an account and then the search wouldn't find it again. I even tried to find it on the website with no luck. So I signed out, found it again, then had to sign in after clicking preview to get it.