Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Heat roster update (10/5)

According to both the Heat website and TheAHL.com:

#35 - Leland Irving - G
#36 - Matt Keetley - G

#2 - Keith Seabrook - D
#4 - John Negrin - D
#5 - Keith Aulie - D
#6 - Brad Cole - D
#7 - Brett Palin - D
#8 - Cam Cunning - LW
#9 - Kris Chucko - RW
#10 - Garth Murray - C
#11 - Mikael Backlund - C
#12 - Kyle Greentree - LW
#16 - Ryley Grantham - LW
#17 - Matt Pelech - D
#18 - Carsen Germyn - RW
#20 - Riley Armstrong - RW
#21 - Jamie Lundmark - C
#22 - John Armstrong - C
#23 - Colin Stuart - LW
#25 - Hugo Carpentier - C
#27 - Brett Sutter - C
#28 - Gord Baldwin - D
#37 - David van der Gulik - RW
#75 - Peter Vandermeer - LW

#1 - David Shantz - G - Victoria (ECHL)
#3 - Josh Meyers - D - Utah (ECHL)
#19 - J.D. Watt - RW - Utah (ECHL)

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman

Last edited by Freeway; 10-07-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
jd456
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks. I'm in Peoria, IL so I watch a lot of minor league hockey since it's so close and so cheap. We have the Peoria Riverman here, the Blues AHL team. I'm already excited for when the Heat come to town so I can see some of our prospects play, especially our defense, and of course Backlund and Irving.
jd456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting list....who goes to the Grizzlies, to reduce from 27 to 23? I would say obviously one of Keetley/Shantz (I am guessing Shantz), probably Meyers and one of Palin/Cole, and probably one of Cunning or Murray.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playfair (via Canadian Press) says Shantz is headling to Victoria (ECHL).

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Playfair (via Canadian Press) says Shantz is headling to Victoria (ECHL).
The last goalie standing of the three is sent to the ECHL? Keetley's prayers were answered.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd456 View Post
Thanks. I'm in Peoria, IL so I watch a lot of minor league hockey since it's so close and so cheap. We have the Peoria Riverman here, the Blues AHL team. I'm already excited for when the Heat come to town so I can see some of our prospects play, especially our defense, and of course Backlund and Irving.
Well the way it looks Peoria has one more year left with the AHL maybe rockford following suit.

I went to peoria alot to watch the flames play and hated it every time I went to that dump. Peoria attendance was 10 fold worse that qc and they announced 5k a game when maybe 1k in the stands. Now that Cat has pulled sponsorship (or atleast last year) and a nice 2500 crowd last night they are on life support.

I have a feeling stl will move the team to stl area. Family arena were the river otters played back in the UHL days.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

How does our defense compare to other AHL teams?

Pelech
Negrin
Aulie
Palin
Baldwin

I really wish I could watch the Heat play this year, it sucks balls not knowing how our prospects look...
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Baldwin is a good defencemen but has had injury issues last year and the year before (rookie year spent most of the year in the ECHL)

Cole is solid on the back end also. Hes a AHL guy that will be in the AHL the rest of his career.

Pelech Id ont think will spend much time in the AHL this year. Hes a stud also

Palin was a tweener type of guy I thought he could crack the NHL team as a 7th Dmen on some team.

But I dont know anything about the other guys that are new on the team.

The bad thing about those Defensemen are stay at home physical type of guys that are not going to be your offensive type of guys. they are good on the back end.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #9
FoxMulder91
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post

The bad thing about those Defensemen are stay at home physical type of guys that are not going to be your offensive type of guys. they are good on the back end.
Negrin and Seabrook can put up points.
FoxMulder91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #10
johnnyluv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Interesting list....who goes to the Grizzlies, to reduce from 27 to 23? I would say obviously one of Keetley/Shantz (I am guessing Shantz), probably Meyers and one of Palin/Cole, and probably one of Cunning or Murray.
Murray would still be an NHLer on a bad team - I don't think he'll get sent down to the ECHL. I think it'll be one of Vandermeer or Grantham, depending on who proves to be the better fighter. I could also see Seabrook being sent down with Meyers - he needs to polish his game a lot, and could use the ice time.

I wonder if Shantz getting sent down indicates that the Flames have less faith in Keetley? ECHL starting minutes are better for development than AHL backup minutes.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:39 AM   #11
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No way Grantham gets sent down. He is actually a good hockey player.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:53 AM   #12
jd456
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
Well the way it looks Peoria has one more year left with the AHL maybe rockford following suit.

I went to peoria alot to watch the flames play and hated it every time I went to that dump. Peoria attendance was 10 fold worse that qc and they announced 5k a game when maybe 1k in the stands. Now that Cat has pulled sponsorship (or atleast last year) and a nice 2500 crowd last night they are on life support.

I have a feeling stl will move the team to stl area. Family arena were the river otters played back in the UHL days.
Yeah I'm afraid you're right. I've gone to quite a few games and the place is almost empty. The thing I like best is being able to get close to ice level without much of a problem. The thing w/ Peoria is there aren't many hockey fans here. The few hockey fans I know are at the school down here. Out of those few fans, most are split between the Blackhawks and Blues, but I know of more Blackhawks fans than Blues fans here. Unless you're a die-hard fan of the Blues, you don't know many of the players on the team, so there's not a lot of interest. I'm not sure how Rockford is, I've never been.
jd456 is offline   Reply With Quote