Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2024, 09:17 AM   #1
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2024/2025 English Premier League Thread

Seeing as United are playing City in the Community shield today, this seems appropriate to start up.

My first thought...did City use Comic Sans for their Player names on their jerseys? Tell me thats not their official kit for the season...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2024, 09:43 AM   #2
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

United deservedly ahead now. City have had more of the ball, but I've lost count of the sitters that United have missed in this game ... should have scored much earlier than this.

too bad Brunos goal was offside too. Wonderful strike.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2024, 09:45 AM   #3
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

City losing this yet again, obviously another PL title incoming for them.
Old 08-10-2024, 10:08 AM   #4
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
City losing this yet again, obviously another PL title incoming for them.
One of the funniest things is that you see Ten Hag in full suit and tie and Pep shows up having just grabbed whatever t-shirt was handy.

You can just tell who cares more.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Old 08-10-2024, 10:11 AM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol! United...snatching defeat from the jaws of Victory.

"I dont think Jonny Evans has ever taken a Professional Penalty....and thats why."

Old 08-10-2024, 10:14 AM   #6
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well maybe City won't win the league now after finally winning the dinner plate again. Really that's how they should do the presentation, bring it out with some fish and chips and mushy peas.
Old 08-10-2024, 10:30 AM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm watching the feed and I think they're still looking for Jonny Evans' ball. I think its in the parking lot...

Old 08-10-2024, 10:38 AM   #8
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

ultimately, having to play Pellistri as a makeshift RB bit them in the ass when he lost that duel against Silva. Shaw's default setting is "injured" and Wan-Bissaka is having a medical at West Ham tomorrow, so they had to get creative. Once Wan-Bissaka is gone, they'll sign Mazraoui from Bayern (along with de Ligt, both of those deals are done, per Ornstein).

Unnecessary in the end, but I've seen some positives today. Wasted way too many good chances for sure. At this point, I'd be surprised if Amad didn't have a real breakout season.
Old 08-10-2024, 11:35 AM   #9
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Top 4 Predictions
Arsenal
City
Spurs
Liverpool

Chelsea will be a joke again and ETH will be sacked by United in the first half of the season.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2024, 11:54 AM   #10
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Top 4 Predictions
Arsenal
City
Spurs
Liverpool

Chelsea will be a joke again and ETH will be sacked by United in the first half of the season.
Madness! Just straight madness! Not the Chelsea or ETH bit, that seems a foregone conclusion.

United I think will do better this season because for the most expensive team around their depth is atrocious but they wont have to worry about Europe, so they can just focus on the League.

Spurs is a bit of a wild-card and lets see if Arsenal were a flash-in-the-pan or the real deal and can replicate and then theres always City.

Old 08-10-2024, 12:09 PM   #11
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

City and Arsenal are 1 and 2, but I honestly think it's pretty wide open between 3 and 10. I would struggle to put Liverpool, Tottenham, United, Chelsea, Aston Villa, Newcastle, West Ham and Crystal Palace in any particular order at the moment.

Liverpool: Klopp is gone, they have signed zero new players so far and we'll see how Aldi ten Hag does. Following a top manager is always brutal.
Tottenham: I'm still dizzy from that Solanke fee ... seriously, wtf.
United: will surely improve from last year, but you never know.
Chelsea: Boehly is still playing FM on speed. New manager again and it feels like there's 50 players in that squad. Now idea how it'll play out.
Aston Villa: added CL stress, so we'll see. Quite a few changes in the squad as well.
Newcastle: made some moves, but nothing earth-shattering.
West Ham: new manager and some seriously impressive additions. Could actually make some noise.
Crystal Palace: losing Olise hurts big time, but Glasner is one heck of a manager and they were incredible in spring. Who knows?
Old 08-10-2024, 10:32 PM   #12
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
City and Arsenal are 1 and 2, but I honestly think it's pretty wide open between 3 and 10. I would struggle to put Liverpool, Tottenham, United, Chelsea, Aston Villa, Newcastle, West Ham and Crystal Palace in any particular order at the moment.

Liverpool: Klopp is gone, they have signed zero new players so far and we'll see how Aldi ten Hag does. Following a top manager is always brutal.
Tottenham: I'm still dizzy from that Solanke fee ... seriously, wtf.
United: will surely improve from last year, but you never know.
Chelsea: Boehly is still playing FM on speed. New manager again and it feels like there's 50 players in that squad. Now idea how it'll play out.
Aston Villa: added CL stress, so we'll see. Quite a few changes in the squad as well.
Newcastle: made some moves, but nothing earth-shattering.
West Ham: new manager and some seriously impressive additions. Could actually make some noise.
Crystal Palace: losing Olise hurts big time, but Glasner is one heck of a manager and they were incredible in spring. Who knows?
I feel the exact same way about the fight after 1 and 2.

Chelsea could struggle with such an untested manager and a massive squad,, as could Liverpool without Klopp.

Villa may also struggle with extra fixtures in CL.

Manu is hard to figure out, and a wildcard for me. Same for west ham, no idea how they will do.

Palace losing olise and guehi will hurt.

I feel like Tottenham and Newcastle could take 3 and 4 if they are healthy.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2024, 01:35 PM   #13
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

we got em this time, right guys? Right?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1823076259187867922
Old 08-12-2024, 01:39 PM   #14
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So...bets on whether Pep leaves in late December/Early January?

For...'family reasons?'

Either that or Great Britain is going to experience a dump-truck shortage as they're all being used to carry money.

Old 08-12-2024, 01:50 PM   #15
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, there's probably appeals coming either way, so I'd imagine he just leaves after the season, saying he's tired or whatever.

Seriously fascinating what happens to them though. In a fair world, they'd be relegated to League 2 or something like that, but it's way more likely they'll just get an unprecedented fine or some other slap on the wrist. I'd probably take a points deduction and, if the stars align, voided titles.
Old 08-12-2024, 02:49 PM   #16
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I mean, there's probably appeals coming either way, so I'd imagine he just leaves after the season, saying he's tired or whatever.

Seriously fascinating what happens to them though. In a fair world, they'd be relegated to League 2 or something like that, but it's way more likely they'll just get an unprecedented fine or some other slap on the wrist. I'd probably take a points deduction and, if the stars align, voided titles.
It's the hope that kills you though. I mean Chelsea admitted wrong doing what...2 years ago? We all know it's been at least a decade of them just doing whatever they want and we still haven't seen a single repercussion.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2024, 02:57 PM   #17
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

City's crimes have just been in a completely different ballpark. If you're the league and don't throw the book at them here, you might as well fold the whole thing. So in that regard, I do have hope. But we've obviously all been burned before, so ...

In other news, Martin Zubimendi has now rejected Liverpool in order to stay at Real Sociedad. Liverpool feeding to journalists that they won't sign another 6 now ... they are having an absolute mare of a summer over there, giving me massive United 2013 vibes. Zero new signings, and the season starts this upcoming weekend.
Old 08-13-2024, 10:13 AM   #18
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Predictions:

Relegation - Leicester, Ipswich, and Southampton. I think Leicester are certain to finish dead last, much like Sheffield United were heading into last season. Ipswich won't have the guns to stay up. Southampton have a fighting chance, I think it will come down to them and Everton for the 18th spot. Forest have made some big investments in their squad, but who knows how they'll gel.

Top four - City, Arsenal, Newcastle, and Spurs. No points for picking City to win the title, although Arsenal could give them another good run if they can avoid major injuries.

Newcastle have a great shot of finishing in the top four if they can pry Guehi from Palace. Solanke is a game changer and will help Spurs up the table. He could score 25 goals.

My pick for breakout star of the year (for the second season in a row) is Villa LB Ian Maatsen. He's 22 and will impress a lot of people. It'll come down to him and 20 year old Bournemouth LB Milos Kerkez for a place in the team of the season.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2024, 04:34 PM   #19
Matty81
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to argue with those predictions on relegation but there are a lot of bad teams this year.

I think Leicester are going to add some firepower late in the window and I could see them staying up potentially if so though not surprised if they go down. They are in a lot of rumors.

Beyond those three there are some other teams that got way worse.

For sure Wolves, they lost their two best players IMO and added a few cheap youngsters. I think they will be very weak. Forest could be real bad too, way too much turnover again massive massive gamble and for me they still lack an EPL level goalie.

Fulham lost their best midfielder who held them together and their best centre back and ERS is a huge gamble at the price they paid. I could also see them struggling they are pretty weak down the spine

Everton are still bad too but I don't mind the business they did, they could ease themselves out of the relegation race this year (though still probably going to be well into the bottom half).

For me I'd bet Ipswich 100%, Southampton probably, then Wolves the third team going down. Fulham and Leicester probably in the mix and close to going down. Forest a wildcard.

Hard for me to see anybody else winning other than City this year either, Arsenal didn't really do anything this summer to close the gap, a solid prospect CB from Bologna but that is an area they really didn't need reinforcements, they had the best defence in the league last year. They had a real chance to clear out some dead wood and add reinforcements but it seemed like they asked for way too much for guys like Nketiah and scared clubs off. I think Fulham overpaid for ERS with his injury history and they got a bit lucky there at least. But they are still very good and hopefully it's a close, entertaining battle between those two.

Liverpool are aging and didn't do anything at all to reinforce. Newcastle could really take a step forward on the pitch if they quit nickel and diming over Guehi, but I hope they don't and it seems like they won't. Hopefully Chelsea are hilarious to watch again, quite enjoyable seeing them get their ass handed to them after completely destroying transfer market values and drop a B and chasing their heart and soul out of the club in Gallagher it's hard to see them being anything but worse.

Last edited by Matty81; 08-13-2024 at 04:38 PM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2024, 12:41 PM   #20
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

As of yet neither Arsenal (striker) or Man City (Rodri backup) have addressed their biggest weakness. But Arsenal got 89 points last year without a striker, so stands a reason they can do it again. Can Man City get 90 points if Rodri misses any meaningful time? Very doubtful. So I would say Arsenal are slight favorites to start. Rest of the league is pretty in flux, you could envision any number of permutations for who finishes third-12th.