Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2016, 12:58 PM   #1
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Is Dennis Wideman Tradeable this Summer?

I would like to start with 2 things:

1st- I don't hate or dislike Wideman. I just want to make room for our younger/new D-man.

2nd- It's very possible I'm the only one interested in this being a thread.

So my stance is obviously in favor of moving the contract to free up space on the roster and cap.

Is there a trade partner out there and what is the return...or cost?
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #2
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

if we retain i think theres a chance some team might bite
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesforcup For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #3
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am a Widedog fan. He's had a very bad year, but he can (and has shown last season) be ever so much more than this. That being said, I think the only way he's not a Flame next season is if the team chooses to buy him out.
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

If we retained 50%... I think a handful of teams would see value in him. As bad as he's been this season, he was fantastic last season. At $2.6M for 1yr, he'd be low risk.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #5
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

They've been unwilling to retain salary, it seems so it's pretty hard to trade him. He would be a more natural trade deadline trade than an an offseason trade.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 01:08 PM   #6
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I may be in the minority but I think we can definitely move him in the summer. Burke in an interview with Leah Hextall in the 1st intermission of the Coyotes game said that teams inquired about his availability at the deadline but that they weren't interested in moving him at that time. So obviously there's interest as there should be.

GM's value guys who are proven top 4 defensemen more highly than a lot of fans do. Just analyze the deals done at the trade deadline and on July 1st every year. These GM's realize that the going rate for veteran top 4 defensemen is quite high and are prepared to pay that salary. So for them Wideman's 5+ million isn't going to be as big of a deterrent as some fans think it should be. Wideman has value.

Fans are going to argue he's had an abysmal season. It hasn't been great but if you look at the history of the NHL you find a lot of GM's willing to give players second, third, fourth, etc chances. There's always the idea that a player just needs a change of scenery or we could utilize him better than the Flames because we need his point shot more than they do, etc. So has his bad season tanked his value? Not as much as fans think it should have. He'll still have value.

As such I think he could possibly be traded without retaining salary. If we retain salary or take a bad contract back then he's EASILY tradeable IMO.

Good thread, I know a lot of posters won't see the issue the same way but I do think it would help our cap situation quite a bit if Treliving moves him this offseason. I do think there is a high chance of it happening.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 01:12 PM   #7
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Proven top 4 veteran defenseman capable of 30+ points in a bad season and 50+ points in a good one.

It also doesn't hurt that he's a right hand shot.

Also, the guys only got one year left on his deal. It's like he's carrying around an albatross contract with another 3-5 years on it.

Yes, he's tradeable IMO.

The bigger question for me is, does Wideman allow himself to be traded, he has a full NMC after all.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #8
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I may be in the minority but I think we can definitely move him in the summer. Burke in an interview with Leah Hextall in the 1st intermission of the Coyotes game said that teams inquired about his availability at the deadline but that they weren't interested in moving him at that time. So obviously there's interest as there should be.

GM's value guys who are proven top 4 defensemen more highly than a lot of fans do. Just analyze the deals done at the trade deadline and on July 1st every year. These GM's realize that the going rate for veteran top 4 defensemen is quite high and are prepared to pay that salary. So for them Wideman's 5+ million isn't going to be as big of a deterrent as some fans think it should be. Wideman has value.

Fans are going to argue he's had an abysmal season. It hasn't been great but if you look at the history of the NHL you find a lot of GM's willing to give players second, third, fourth, etc chances. There's always the idea that a player just needs a change of scenery or we could utilize him better than the Flames because we need his point shot more than they do, etc. So has his bad season tanked his value? Not as much as fans think it should have. He'll still have value.

As such I think he could possibly be traded without retaining salary. If we retain salary or take a bad contract back then he's EASILY tradeable IMO.

Good thread, I know a lot of posters won't see the issue the same way but I do think it would help our cap situation quite a bit if Treliving moves him this offseason. I do think there is a high chance of it happening.
I agree he has value, and I also agree that he's not as useless as lots of people make him out to be. But I think good teams are probably set up already as far as guys with Wideman's skill set are concerned, considering the price tag. But at the trade deadline they will be looking for depth, and his pro-rated salary won't be as big a problem.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:15 PM   #9
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

We ought to pair him with Brodie the rest of the year. The problem he's had this year is that he hasn't had a mobile partner.

Russell was a mobile partner, but that pairing was getting killed in possession and Hiller's inability to track pucks through traffic was killing them on goals against.
Engelland... not that mobile
Smid... not that mobile
Nakladal... not that mobile
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 01:17 PM   #10
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
We ought to pair him with Brodie the rest of the year. The problem he's had this year is that he hasn't had a mobile partner.

Russell was a mobile partner, but that pairing was getting killed in possession and Hiller's inability to track pucks through traffic was killing them on goals against.
Engelland... not that mobile
Smid... not that mobile
Nakladal... not that mobile
Kevin ain't bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 01:29 PM   #11
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Burke in an interview with Leah Hextall in the 1st intermission of the Coyotes game said that teams inquired about his availability at the deadline but that they weren't interested in moving him at that time.
Seriously? Someone offers you a used roll of tape for Dennis Wideman you jump all over it. It is crazy to think they "didn't want to move him at that time." Exactly what time is better? Any time you can get someone to take on a piece of garbage like Wideman you make the deal. But then again, there was probably a cost attached to moving him they were not prepared to cough up. I would think it is going to cost a 2nd rounder or a pretty good prospect to move Wideman and his boat anchor of a salary.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 01:29 PM   #12
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Kevin ain't bad.
Could be a decent pairing, though I'm not sure if Jokipakka is all that mobile. Wideman definitely dragged Nakladal down last night, though
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #13
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Seriously? Someone offers you a used roll of tape for Dennis Wideman you jump all over it. It is crazy to think they "didn't want to move him at that time." Exactly what time is better? Any time you can get someone to take on a piece of garbage like Wideman you make the deal. But then again, there was probably a cost attached to moving him they were not prepared to cough up. I would think it is going to cost a 2nd rounder or a pretty good prospect to move Wideman and his boat anchor of a salary.
Then you look at what Russell got as a rental and Wideman's value goes way up come March next year.
edslunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #14
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was Wideman's first game in 20 with the most negative media attention a hockey player has had in the last 5 years.

I'll cut him some slack and give him a few games to get his timing and endurance back.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:50 PM   #15
Matty81
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd actually expect a good return 50% retained. At least a 3rd probably a 2nd. He puts up points every year, right shot, lots of experience. He's a valuable commodity, just overpaid and unfortunately its a year where the cap will be stagnant.

Full ticket? More of an outside chance. Though I could see a swap where anyone willing to take on the contract just sends a warm body back.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #16
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I read this suggestion on that other board. Dennis Wideman to Vancouver for Ryan Miller. Miller isn't my first choice for a goaltender next year but I do see how it could work. Both are UFA's at end of season and cap hits are close. Wideman $5.25 million and Miller $6 million. Vancouver could use a right handed offensive defenseman and Calgary a veteran goalie that can be a decent #1.

Other possible landing spots for Wideman could be Florida or Toronto.
Svartsengi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:55 PM   #17
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's pretty safe to say that his value will be the highest at next year's deadline.

However, I think it would be better to move him in the summer. Even though you get less for him, it's time to move on.

And I don't think there's any doubt he has value. If the Flames were to retain one or two million, he would have a fair bit of value.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #18
Matty81
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also worth considering... Sorry for the multi post, but there is no need to move him. There is no RHD at the door in the system. The flames have a massive amount of cap space to play with. I did a quick look at general fanager and would guess that they'll have about 7-7.5 in free cap space after re signing gaudreau, monahan and colborne. Need two goalies and a bunch of depth/entry level guys which should be easy especially if ortio is 1.

Unless they want to add a big piece, there's no need to clear space, especially with another 15 mil or so off the books next year.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:01 PM   #19
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Schultz got a third - case closed
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 02:04 PM   #20
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

You would have to take back an equally over paid player IMO.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote