Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:
wranglers Horak on fire in Abby

Nice to see he's finding his stride. Hopefully he can keep up the same pace for the whole season and be ready for a top 6 role when the NHL & NHLPA finally get their shiznit together.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...189/story.html

Quote:
Sven Baertschi figures he is one lucky cat for drawing fellow Calgary Flames prospect Roman Horak on the road with the Abbotsford Heat.Assigned to Abbotsford because of the lockout, Baertschi has three goals and eight points in seven games. In other words, the top prospect in the organization is living up to expectation.
No one, however, predicted the defensive-minded Horak would share the team lead in scoring with Baertschi. But sure enough, the Chilliwack Bruins product is right up there with his roommate with eight points.
Even more impressive? the unassuming Horak is tied with Drayson Bowman, of the Charlotte Checkers, for the league lead in goals with seven a piece...
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

I was listining to Troy Ward this morning on the FAN960 while driving to work. He was asked if it was Horak riding Baertschi's coat tails to collect these 7 goals and 1 assist he has.

Ward responded that it is ALL Horak thus far, that he has played right wing, center and left wing this season. Also added that Horak has only played one game on Sven's line and has played on lines 1,2,3 and 4 throughout the season. It was great to hear.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
Kaine
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Very good to hear and very impressed with both players. I always liked Horak and really hoped he would find that next level, so hopefully he does this seasons. Baertschi is the real deal and I think we all knew that.

Damn I miss hockey...
Kaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Horak will never be a star but he looks to have potential as a versatile 3rd line mainstay in the NHL.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

This creates more pressure on backlund IMO

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to handgroen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
This creates more pressure on backlund IMO
Whats interesting is that Backlund is on a 1 year deal which will expire at the end of this lockout, assuming the whole season is gone which I already am.

Maybe he might be one to come back next year after the lockout and find out there isnt a place for him.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Whats interesting is that Backlund is on a 1 year deal which will expire at the end of this lockout, assuming the whole season is gone which I already am.

Maybe he might be one to come back next year after the lockout and find out there isnt a place for him.
If this season washes, which I agree it will, then Backlund is likely done in Calgary. Might get a look in Detroit, but if not, I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up out of the NHL completely.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Tom has 2 points in 7 games and is an even 0. He has also been quoted as saying that he isn't sure the Blue Jackets can offer him the proper playing time he needs so far this season, like they didn't even give him a chance to make the pro roster! And as for that has a short list of team (singular on purpose) he feels he would benefit playing for.

Yea I went there, you wanna fight about it?
Old 10-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
If this season washes, which I agree it will, then Backlund is likely done in Calgary. Might get a look in Detroit, but if not, I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up out of the NHL completely.
I wouldnt be surprised either. He really doesnt seem to have much 'fit.'

Maybe one of the lower end clubs like Columbus or maybe Nashville would consider taking a flyer on him for $1M/1yr, which isnt a bad idea, but unless he shows that hes in one of the top 2 centre spots he may not stick here.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-31-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
Calamity
Lifetime Suspension

good for him. Not sure if it will transfer to the NHL or not, last year he looked like a boy against men most of the time.
Calamity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity View Post
good for him. Not sure if it will transfer to the NHL or not, last year he looked like a boy against men most of the time.
True - but that's because he was.

What I like about Horak is that he understands that he isn't Gretzky and that he needs to learn how to play in the NHL in order to earn a job.

He has the intelligence and the desire to learn how to be a solid NHLer. And he is very coachable. I just wish he had a little more edge.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund will still be an RFA if the season is lost. He can't simply sign with another team.

He will no doubt be given another similar 1 year deal if the season is lost.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
Samiz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All thanks to Tim Erixon
Samiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I keep reading this thought on here, reminds me of how many people thought Giordano would also never play in the NHL again, hell one poster was so sure he went so far as to say he would eat his pubes if Gio ever played another game in the NHL. Now he is arguably our best D man.

I think Backlund is highly underrated around here and people will be eating pubes.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
hell one poster was so sure he went so far as to say he would eat his pubes if Gio ever played another game in the NHL.
who was that again?

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #16
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ren
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:19 AM   #17
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Ren
Wasn't Ren for Phaneuf being traded?
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
I keep reading this thought on here, reminds me of how many people thought Giordano would also never play in the NHL again, hell one poster was so sure he went so far as to say he would eat his pubes if Gio ever played another game in the NHL. Now he is arguably our best D man.

I think Backlund is highly underrated around here and people will be eating pubes.
Well, that had nothing to do with a lockout and I dont think the two situations are comparable.

I think Backlund still has talent, but man, this has nothing to do with him going to Sweden or anything like that. Hes got 46 points in 138 NHL games in 4 seasons and he is very oft injured.

He may play in the NHL again, but he also may be one of those guys that needs a change of scenery to make it happen and really be successful. If he wants it to be in Calgary he has to step up and he has to do it now or whenever the NHL resumes assuming he still has a spot.

Theres a reason he only got a one-year deal. But if Horak is penciling his name in for that 3rd line center spot then Backlund has to grab either #1 or #2.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Every time I heard Horak interviewed last year I was thoroughly impressed. He comes across as the most coachable player on the team, and just eats up what the coaches are asking of him and doesn't ask questions. Even when he wasn't in the lineup, he didn't get all mopey, just talked about the things the coaches had asked him to work on, and how he'd be doing that until he got another crack.

I'm glad him and Sven get some time with Troy Ward, I think it could be great for both of them, and hopefully Hartley can work some magic with them whenever we get a season.

EDIT: I also loved his comments after the golf tournament debacle "I'm not going because the team leaders told me not to.... sooooo...."
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #20
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Erixon in Columbus, lol.

Punk.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote