Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:
Flames Backlund set to sign?

Swedish link

Some Swedish translation would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 04-19-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
PixelRevolt
Draft Pick

Backlund and Mylläri is a priority
VIK Hockey and general manager Leif Rohlin is trying to put together the strongest team possible for the 2008/2009 season. The latest news is that Mikael Backlund has been offered a new contract.
Mickis (nickname for Backlund) has been offered a contract but it looks like Calgary wants a say in it, Says Rohlin.
What does it mean for VIK hockey?
-We'll see what happens but it might turn out like with Patrik Berglund last year (Berglund is leaving to play for St Loius). Calgary might make an offer for Mickis and then he'll play another season with us, says Leif Rohlin.

The rest only deals with VIK hockey in general and I am too drunk to type any more

PixelRevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
Ayrahb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It seems, from a really bad InterTran translation, that his Swedish team GM is talking about putting together the next year's team. Something about waiting to see if the Flames bring Backlund over, maybe?

Then again, the words "housewife" and "sheep" also showed up in that translation.

EDIT: Pixel beat me to it. I guess the translation wasn't that bad.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Thanks PixelRevolt

Wasn't quite sure what to make out of the online translator as it tends to be garbled.

Whether Backlund comes over to North America next season remains to be seen, but getting him on a Flames contract is the first step. Sounds like that's underway.

Thanks for clearing up his Vasteras contract status as well.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:49 AM   #5
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be absolutely psyched if Backlund comes over next year
Old 04-19-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do we have a translation yet?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:06 AM   #7
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

VIK = Vasteras = 1 level below SEL?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:54 AM   #8
PixelRevolt
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
VIK = Vasteras = 1 level below SEL?
Yeah. Västerås actually made it to the qualification round for the SEL (4 teams from Allsvenskan (second tier) and 2 teams from the SEL compete for 2 spots in the SEL) much thanks to Berglund and Backlund. They only won one game out of ten there but I think it was a successful season in their eyes. With Berglund gone I'd imagine Västerås is doing everything in their power to keep Backlund.
There was another thread where someone mentioned that Färjestad (one of the top teams in the SEL) had an interest in Backlund. Färjestad is in the middle of a major restructuring of their team where they did not offer new contracts to a lot of their veteran players. I think there's a very good chance that they'd go for Backlund and with Håkan Loob as GM it would work out pretty well for Calgary.
PixelRevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamca View Post
Do we have a translation yet?
I wasn't drunk or hung over, but I still missed the translation from PixelRevolt...oops! Really tired this morning...that's my excuse.

Not knowing a ton about Swedish elite teams, I would guess that the Flames would rather see Backlund start the '08/'09 season somewhere in North America.

The kid has so much potential, I'm having a hard time not wanting him to wear the Flaming C at least in pre-season next year and then assign him to QC, but that may not be the best development for Backlund.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamca View Post

Not knowing a ton about Swedish elite teams, I would guess that the Flames would rather see Backlund start the '08/'09 season somewhere in North America.
Sutter has said that he holds sweden hockey in high regards. He doesn't mind him playing over there (dub probably would be better but swedish pro is good too). I took his comments to mean that he isn't hurting himself....unlike if he was in college not playing enough games or in Russia/Switzerland, where the competition isn't up to snuff.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:28 PM   #11
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^
The way I understand it is, in Russia or Switzerland the young guys practise with the team but often hardly get any ice time. This is what happened to Ramholt and slowed his progress.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:49 AM   #12
loknessmonsters
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

From what I heard about Ramholt he played a regular shift in Swiss elite league. He also played well. I saw him play 6 games at a high level 4 years ago and he was the best player on the ice for the Swiss team at the WJC in Helsinki. He played a ton and he was always out against the best players from the other teams. I can't believe that he hasn't made the NHL yet and since I haven't seen him since the year after he was drafted I can't really comment on his progress since then.
loknessmonsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:31 PM   #13
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loknessmonsters View Post
From what I heard about Ramholt he played a regular shift in Swiss elite league. He also played well. I saw him play 6 games at a high level 4 years ago and he was the best player on the ice for the Swiss team at the WJC in Helsinki. He played a ton and he was always out against the best players from the other teams. I can't believe that he hasn't made the NHL yet and since I haven't seen him since the year after he was drafted I can't really comment on his progress since then.
Yeah, that WJC was in 04 when Ramholt was playing in Cape Breton and getting lots of ice time. IIRC the reason Sutter was so gung ho for him to come to NA was he was playing in the Swiss Elite league as a 17 and 18 year old but rarely saw the ice. He wasn't happy when Ramholt went back, though I guess he got lots of ice after. I think it just comes down to that the Russians and Swiss have a different philosophy on developing players than Sutter does and not the quality of the leagues.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:31 AM   #14
Claeren
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loknessmonsters View Post
The biggest difference between the NHL the levels immediately below, IMO, is not 'skill' but rather is 'decision making under pressure'.

Lots of players have skill, but being able to make the right decisions with the puck time after time when a fast and skilled player is taking away your space and options is the hard part.

Even a lot of NHL players have trouble with it!

A lot of players in those leagues have skills, the problem is that they are afforded too leasurely a pace and too much space on the ice and it hurts their decision making skills under pressure - the exact same skill they need to develop for the NHL. No wonder it is not just seen as 'not a good thing' but even an outright bad thing for a young players development!

Claeren.
Claeren is offline   Reply With Quote