Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Clay Wilson

Found a good article written by Vicki Hall of the Herald who talks to Clay Wilson about his future in hockey and with the big club.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...109/story.html

Quote:
“I love my job,” he says. “There are times obviously with the travel and some of the other things you deal with that you get a little down. But at the end of the day you’re playing something you love for a living.

“Getting in some games in the NHL keeps the dream alive.”

The Flames clearly subscribe to Wilson’s dream. General manager Jay Feaster signed the lanky rearguard last summer to a two-year deal with a catch.

In the 2012-13 season, Wilson’s contract becomes one-way — which means he makes the NHL minimum of $525,000 regardless of whether he plays in Calgary or Abbotsford.

The Flames also risk losing the puck-moving rearguard on waivers if they demote him to the farm.

“The way things work now, nothing is set is in stone,” Wilson said. “Even though it’s a one-way contract, there’s no reason why I can’t end up back in Abbotsford.

“So I still have to work extremely hard this off-season and come ready in training camp to show them I can help the team in Calgary.”
Quote:
“He’s like the Energizer Bunny,” said Heat head coach Troy Ward. “He just keeps going. And he’s a warrior. He plays the game with a little reckless abandon.

“He loves to have the puck around him and touch the puck all the time. He loves to join the rush, because he’s got a big engine.”

In five games with the Flames this season, Wilson played it safe with the intention of proving he won’t be a defensive liability for the big team.

“You guys saw him as a very tame guy up there,” Ward said. “When you watch him down here — and this is part of his problem — is that people have always labelled him as a not great defender. Because a lot of people say he has always had to defend as a back-checker. He doesn’t have the posture of a defenceman.

“What’s to say you can’t have a defenceman backchecking? You just have to change the rules. We embrace it here.”

Under Ward’s system, Wilson can pinch and join the rush.

But when he comes back, he needs to follow the rules for sliding back into his defensive position in place of the forward who dropped back to cover.
At the beginning of the season I had a bit of a hate on for Wilson because he was soft, avoided contact, embellished, and would sometimes lay on the ice to try and get a call. That lasted about two weeks before the coaching staff told him to cut that crap out. Then, it was like watching a whole different player.

He's very gifted offensively. His offensive instincts are second to none and he thrives under Ward's system without giving up much defensively.

The unfortunate part is that I don't know where he fits in on the defensive end with Calgary. If they are able to trade Babchuk, Wilson would fit in nicely there. Under the right system, Wilson is not a liability like some people might think.

I hope he gets an extended chance with the Flames next season because he's such a fun, smart player to watch.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm inpressed with Wilson, regardless of his age. I'd like to see him up with the big team next year. Who knows... maybe Feaster re-arranges the entire defensive setup to accomodate both Smith and Wilson. Two cheap, really good signings. I think Wilson is ready.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wilson's offensive talent has always been well known, he's always one of the top d-men in the AHL in points. He was never a good defensive player in Florida's system though

He may be getting up there in age butbhia development was huge this season with Ward, everything I've seen and heard make me think he'll be a serious contender for an NHL spot

Everything Ward has said and done with that team make me really want him in Calgary next year, great coach and motivator
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Clay Wilson is going to be our Brian Rafalski!
But yes, I would really like to see him play up with the Flames next season, although it seems like the management is moving away from a gritty defense, which is still needed.
Our d core:
Bouwmeester-Butler
Gio-Brodie
Smith-Babchuk
Wilson

I would think we'll probably also re-sign either Sarich or Hannan.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Our d core:
Bouwmeester-Butler
Gio-Brodie
Smith-Babchuk
Wilson
I could see Feaster going after Carle to move Butler down to the 4-5 position. Carle is the type of player Feaster likes...fast, mobile, puck moving...I think Feaster, while putting together an offer on Suter, will have a strong offer going for Carle.

Bouwmeester - Giordano/Carle
Carle/Giordano - Butler
Brodie - Smith
Wilson/Babchuk

...Man, that's soft. None of them are really "physical" and about 2 are willing to hit intentionally.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
Gary83
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
I could see Feaster going after Carle to move Butler down to the 4-5 position. Carle is the type of player Feaster likes...fast, mobile, puck moving...I think Feaster, while putting together an offer on Suter, will have a strong offer going for Carle.

Bouwmeester - Giordano/Carle
Carle/Giordano - Butler
Brodie - Smith
Wilson/Babchuk

...Man, that's soft. None of them are really "physical" and about 2 are willing to hit intentionally.
Yeah, agreed.

Alot of teams will be chasing after Suter and Parise, I hope the Flames use that to pursue some of the better quality guys that might be getting swept under until Suter makes a decision.

A guy like Jackman out of St. Louis would be a nice, physical top 4 addition if he doesn't re-sign.

Carle obviously.

O'brien would also add some more toughness and grit to the D-corps.

If the price was right on Oduya I wouldn't mind him getting signed either.
Gary83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

We can't afford to have Bouwmeester, Butler, and then bring on a guy like Carle. That is just too soft.

Brodie plays physical but isn't very big. Giordano is more successful but he also lacks size. Smith and Wilson aren't physical. Hannan and Sarich are UFA.

So I think Calgary has to rework their D.

I would love to see Calgary pursue Schenn in Toronto. RH shot, some offensive upside, big minutes, and he is a big physical D that doesn't sacrifice mobility. I would also like to see them keep Sarich rather then go after Jackman. Sarich has the RH shot and is a capable depth D. If they don't keep him I would like Jackman over Hannan if the price is right.

If they manage that then I would love if they could offload Babchuk some how and Make a play for either Wideman / Carle. Both are good offensive D that can play minutes. Carle is a better overall player and a bit younger. But Wideman has that RH shot. I probably prefer Carle as he is younger and has more future upside.

That lets you trade Bouwmeester or Butler. Personally I keep Bouwmeester as I would like to see what he has under a new coach and with some additional defensive depth.

That leaves:

Bouwmeester-Schenn
Giordano-Carle
Brodie-Sarich
Smith-Wilson

I think that is a pretty mobile D with a good blend of size and offense. I think Schenn would excel as Bouwmeester as a partner. Sarich is a good mentor for Brodie. And I think Gio/Carle would be a great tandem and complement each other very well.

As for Wilson. I think he deserves a shot to make the club. But with Brodie and Smith already on board it will be tough. I don't think a team with Smith, Brodie, and Wilson on at the same time is going to be very good.

Last edited by kehatch; 05-01-2012 at 04:25 PM.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ we should NEVER deal with the Leafs again....never.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
We can't afford to have Bouwmeester, Butler, and then bring on a guy like Carle. That is just too soft.

Brodie plays physical but isn't very big. Giordano is more successful but he also lacks size. Smith and Wilson aren't physical. Hannan and Sarich are UFA.

I would love to see Calgary pursue Schenn in Toronto. RH shot, some offensive upside, big minutes, and he is a big physical D that doesn't sacrifice mobility. I would also like to see them keep Sarich rather then go after Jackman. Sarich has the RH shot and is a capable depth D. If they don't keep him I would like Jackman over Hannan if the price is right.

If they manage that then I would love if they could offload Babchuk some how and Make a play for either Wideman / Carle. Both are good offensive D that can play minutes. Carle is a better overall player and a bit younger. But Wideman has that RH shot. I probably prefer Carle as he is younger and has more future upside.

That lets you trade Bouwmeester or Butler. Personally I keep Bouwmeester as I would like to see what he has under a new coach and with some additional defensive depth.

That leaves:

Bouwmeester-Schenn
Giordano-Carle
Brodie-Sarich
Smith-Wilson

I think that is a pretty mobile D with a good blend of size and offense. I think Schenn would excel as Bouwmeester as a partner. Sarich is a good mentor for Brodie. And I think Gio/Carle would be a great tandem and complement each other very well.

As for Wilson. I think he deserves a shot to make the club. But with Brodie and Smith already on board it will be tough. I don't think a team with Smith, Brodie, and Wilson on at the same time is going to be very good.

Not saying i want Schenn, but you left out what it would take to get him? Other than Kipper i don't see it.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post

Not saying anything against physical defensemen, but I think transition oriented, fast defense is where Feaster is heading. Being able to lay someone out (or hit intentionally) is secondary in most of his defense moves.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Not saying anything against physical defensemen, but I think transition oriented, fast defense is where Feaster is heading. Being able to lay someone out (or hit intentionally) is secondary in most of his defense moves.
He and Wisebrod have also said they need to be harder to play against and Sarich and Hannan are UFA. Can't see them replacing Hannan or Sarich with Wilson.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Reminds me of the day when we had a defense that featured Phil Housley, ZZ, james Patrick butter soft and completely not intimidating in any way

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

When Clay was called up this season, he was the extra D-man for basically an entire week and soaked in everything like a sponge. Then, when he slotted in, he looked perfectly suited to the third pairing. Hopefully that (and some playoff success) set him up for a good season next year.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post: