Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Sump pump near Fuse Box

Hey guys. Looking into buying a home and I'm getting conflicting information here. The house has a sump pump in the basement, but the fuse panel is on the wall right beside it. I'm being told by my father that this is an issue because if the house floods, you'll be walking in water to disable anything in the fuse box. My realtor on the other hand is saying that this is a common thing and not an issue. The house was built in 2013 and obviously passed inspection.

Any advice by those in the home building profession would be great!
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:57 PM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I've learned anything from Fight Club I have learned that this is okay.

But I honestly dont know.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #3
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
if the house floods, you'll be walking in water to disable anything in the fuse box.
Unless your fusebox is mounted on the wall of the stairwell going into the basement, which would never be the case, same thing could be said about any house.

Sounds to me like your father is tendering an opinion and doesn't know for sure. Like you said, the place is recently built and passed inspection. I think you are worrying about nothing.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 02-12-2015 at 01:15 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #4
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The realtor is right.

If it is a concern for you, have an electrician install a box on the outside your house to shut off the electricity inside. Many homes in High River have done this.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:34 PM   #5
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buy some rubber boots.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:56 PM   #6
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

I couldn't feel confident saying either way 100% however as already mentioned, regardless of where the fuse box is located, you are going to be walking through water to get to it so I would side with your realtor.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd burn down the house and start over.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #8
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
The house has a sump pump in the basement, but the fuse panel is on the wall right beside it. I'm being told by my father that this is an issue because if the house floods, you'll be walking in water to disable anything in the fuse box.
You're going to have to buy a house with a tilted foundation to avoid that issue.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
The realtor is right.

If it is a concern for you, have an electrician install a box on the outside your house to shut off the electricity inside. Many homes in High River have done this.
What good would that do? Most of the water in High River is on the outside to begin with.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #10
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

hip waders.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #11
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

The sump being beside the panel is a good thing. Ideally your HWT and furnace are there too, and if you develop the basement, you have everything in the mechanical room, instead of having the panel in some cupboard in the spare bedroom.

In new houses, the sump is almost always located near the rest of the mechanical.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #12
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's completely fine. Every motor must have a disconnect within a certain distance of it or within line of sight for servicing reasons. It is entirely ok and if you wish to read up on it, take a look at the disconnecting means in section 28 of the CEC.

Source: Jman Electrician and Electrical Engineering student.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:38 PM   #13
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

A sump pump should have no relation to the house flooding, sump pump should be pumping the water in the basement bathroom into a septic tank that is near ground level. House flooding should not have anything to do with sump pump, if the sump pump fails you stop using the basement bathroom. You will know if the sump pump fails, it's fairly obvious.

I had to fix the one at my family's cabin when a little bastrd flushed his underwear down the toilet. If the basement floods you'll be standing in water to access the breaker in any house.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:55 PM   #14
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

When water floods something, it tends to oddly always be level. So no matter where the water comes in, your basement is flooded to the same level by the fuse box. So who cares??
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #15
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
A sump pump should have no relation to the house flooding, sump pump should be pumping the water in the basement bathroom into a septic tank that is near ground level. House flooding should not have anything to do with sump pump, if the sump pump fails you stop using the basement bathroom. You will know if the sump pump fails, it's fairly obvious.
Not trying to be a stickler but you are referring to a lift station that pumps sanitary up and out of the house, normally to the sewer. Totally different animal.

The sump pump is very effective in preventing flooding from ground water saturation and rising levels, the sump, by code is to discharge to the exterior of the building and not to sanitary or storm sewer.

OP: there is nothing wrong with your sumps location.
Methanolic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Methanolic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2015, 05:28 PM   #16
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What good would that do? Most of the water in High River is on the outside to begin with.
The Alberta govt made it a requirement for anyone who was getting DRP (Dead Redford promises) money.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:26 PM   #17
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanolic View Post
Not trying to be a stickler but you are referring to a lift station that pumps sanitary up and out of the house, normally to the sewer. Totally different animal.

The sump pump is very effective in preventing flooding from ground water saturation and rising levels, the sump, by code is to discharge to the exterior of the building and not to sanitary or storm sewer.

OP: there is nothing wrong with your sumps location.
Interesting, the plumber that installed the thing called it a sump pump.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #18
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I had to fix the one at my family's cabin when a little bastrd flushed his underwear down the toilet. If the basement floods you'll be standing in water to access the breaker in any house.
The sump pump does not deal with sewage that's drained out the soil pipe. I don't see a problem with the sump being close to the electrical panel. Either way if your house is flooded that high you will be having problems anyway
scottish_flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:16 PM   #19
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

So a sump is meant specifically for dealing with flooding? Wonder why a plumber wouldn't know.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:46 PM   #20
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
So a sump is meant specifically for dealing with flooding? Wonder why a plumber wouldn't know.
Sump pumps are used where basement flooding happens regularly and to solve dampness where the water table is above the foundation of a home. Sump pumps send water away from a house to any place where it is no longer problematic, such as a municipal storm drain or a dry well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sump_pump