Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2024, 01:07 PM   #1
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:
Default What legislation would you enact?

This is a thread for discussion what you would change if you had the power to.

This would apply to local community, municipal, provincial and federal.

For me, I dislike our disposable society. It’s ridiculous that it is super expensive to repair something like a fridge leaving you with the choice of replacing the entire thing or the parts costing the same.

I’d legislate a right to repair law that would require companies to provide parts at a reasonable cost. Dumping a small appliance for example because a small part breaks shouldn’t have to happen.

I’m positive that there will be discussion about different proposals and costs associated with it, so I figured it would be a good thread.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 01:11 PM   #2
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would introduce and encourage foreign competition for the main Canadian oligopolies in the banking, telecom, airline and grocery sectors.

The companies we have are not the ones we deserve.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 01:18 PM   #3
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
It’s ridiculous that it is super expensive to repair something like a fridge leaving you with the choice of replacing the entire thing or the parts costing the same.
I'm of the opinion that cars have become so overengineered and technically complex from companies trying to outdo each other and raise prices in the process, that if a car company decided to release a very base model, removing all the frills, making it simple to repair and service, and sold it as their 'economical' solution to today's pressures for the common person... they would make a goddamn killing in the market. Basically a license to print money IMO.

Great thread topic btw!
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 01:22 PM   #4
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Modular designed cars. Only replace the parts you need, DIY. Aptera solar cars will more or less work this way. Need more laws to encourage this, particularly for consumer affordability and sustainability.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 01:24 PM   #5
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drinking in public laws akin to those in the UK.

I wanna be able to have a beer on the C-Train heading to a concert or dinner or a game.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 01:34 PM   #6
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I'm of the opinion that cars have become so overengineered and technically complex from companies trying to outdo each other and raise prices in the process, that if a car company decided to release a very base model, removing all the frills, making it simple to repair and service, and sold it as their 'economical' solution to today's pressures for the common person... they would make a goddamn killing in the market. Basically a license to print money IMO.

Great thread topic btw!
A lot of that complexity is a result of government regulations of various kinds: safety, emissions, fuel economy, etc.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 01:41 PM   #7
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Modular designed cars. Only replace the parts you need, DIY. Aptera solar cars will more or less work this way. Need more laws to encourage this, particularly for consumer affordability and sustainability.
This would also dramatically reduce insurance rates (or should)...

I think we touched on this a while back in the automotive thread, but things like the rear bumper on a Chrysler Pacifica are so large that any accident involving them could easily get into write-off territory on a car that's only a few years old (due to depreciation).
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 01:48 PM   #8
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd legislate significant changes the driver's license program.

First, I'd keep it so that your license has to be renewed every 5 years. However, if you are younger than 70, you'd be required to take and pass a driver's test every 10 years. Over 70, every 5.

At your retest, you get 3 tries. If you fail all 3 tries, you either get your license automatically suspended for a year before you are allowed to retake it, or you get to go in front of a judge and convince them to let you try one more time before the 1 year suspension.

You would be required to take a driver's ed course that has 2 parts before being given a license. One part in the summer, one in the winter.

Licenses from other countries don't transfer over. You will need a Canadian DL to drive in Canada.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 01:48 PM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would eliminate Bike Lanes, re-enact the prospect of Debtor's Prison and make the homeless and indigent ride bicycles hooked up to generators for electricity.

If the Government wants to give out free drugs they should use that drug-addled energy to generate electricity!

And then they can build monuments to my Greatness! Granted, those are going to come down eventually, likely during some sort of riot or coup or invasion but thats a problem for later!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 02:03 PM   #10
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would end supply management. At this point it's basically a legislated transfer of money from everyone (disproportionately affecting the poor who spend the highest % of income on basic groceries) to wealthy quota holders.

It's also a regional transfer program in disguise. Western Canadian farmers would be internationally competitive (see beef farmers for example). If the walls came down we'd be exporting dairy from Alberta. Quebec dairy farmers maybe not so much.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 02:12 PM   #11
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Easy: upper age limits on voting. You cant vote until you’re 18 and also can no longer vote once you’ve reached mandatory retirement age. Gotta stop letting the people leaving the restaurant order for the next table.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 02:19 PM   #12
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cyclists on the roads with no lights.
On the spot fine.

Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 02:22 PM   #13
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Size restrictions on vehicles. Suburbans, Tahoes, Jeep Wagoneers, etc. would cease to exist. 3/4 tonne trucks would cease to exist. 1/2 tonne trucks would be size limited so we don't get this ever increasing size of vehicles.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 02:25 PM   #14
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Price labelling would be done the EU way; no posting prices pre-tax/pre-fees. What you see on the shelf is what you pay at the transaction, end of story. That includes purchases online as well. Enough of this stupidity where you can literally go through 2-3 prices sequences before you see the final price. If something is posted for $11.99 on the shelf, that is what you pay at the till. If the seller wants to mark it up to make up for the tax difference so they can still make their $11.99 that is their decision. But the final price you pay MUST be the final price posted. I'm so sick and tired of trying to explain to newcomers why the price you see on the shelf does not match at the till and looking like a ####ing idiot trying to explain it.

I would ban tipping on all digital pay terminals. If you want to leave a cash tip in the jar at subway for the worker, fine. But it must be your decision to leave it. It cannot be posted on the terminal where you have to select it away. Restaurants can leave the tip options on the receipts as is, but they'd have a special exception that you have to apply for and be approved so you can put tips on your terminal. Frankly I'd start to fully shift away from tipping as well; only a select few industries such as sit down meals that apply for a "tipping" permit are allowed to have them on their transaction terminals. Therefore that discludes places like ordering from a kiosk, massage parlor, mechanic, whatever other bull#### puts tips on their transaction terminals.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 02:28 PM   #15
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd love to propose transformative laws that magically fix housing, the economy, etc... but I'm really not smart enough to do that. So my suggestions are things that wouldn't cost a lot, would benefit most Canadians and don't really fall into a left-right divide.

Ban exorbitant preset tipping options on debit machines. I'm tired of seeing machines start at 20 percent and up. Either have the suggestions at max out at a 10-12-15% option, or have the customer type in the percent themselves. Canadians are too nice, and we're being taken advantage of.

Ingredient and nutrition labels on alcohol. I'm shocked this is not already a thing.

Ban self checkout donation solicitation for companies with sales >$5 million unless the company matches the donations. If Loblaws cares about the children so much (and we all know they truly do), they can ask for and match my donation. Otherwise, screw off.
1991 Canadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 02:34 PM   #16
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Canadian View Post
If Loblaws cares about the children so much (and we all know they truly do), they can ask for and match my donation. Otherwise, screw off.
What grinds my gears are food donation bins at Superstore. I look behind me at the endless rows of overpriced food and think, 'you first, go nuts'.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 02:45 PM   #17
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Easy: upper age limits on voting. You cant vote until you’re 18 and also can no longer vote once you’ve reached mandatory retirement age. Gotta stop letting the people leaving the restaurant order for the next table.
I disagree, while I understand that voters making decisions they wont need to deal with being a bad thing, but seniors are a vulnerable population and not giving them a voice could have dangerous consequences.

The issue is more that young people are not voting and leaving the balance of power out of wack.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 02:48 PM   #18
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

My soft proposal: Mandatory 20 hours community service for every instance of littering accidental or otherwise.

My actual thought: anyone who purposefully dumps garbage should be shot on sight.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 02:49 PM   #19
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Rewards for re-using parts of a hour/penalties for disposing of quality home building materials. It pains me to see a loader destroy a house and drop all nice timber, copper, and plumbing in the dumpster. I'd like to see a new industry where a team comes in to strip everything valuable out of a house before the demolition.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 02:50 PM   #20
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Increase highway speed limits to 140. It's fkn joke they haven't changed since we were all cruising around in Chevettes, Omnis and Cordobas.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: