Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
johnnyrocket03
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default SHAW - Sports Packages

Tried to search...couldn't find anything similar

So I went to order NFL Sunday Ticket this year as i wanna catch as many games as possible, and was informed by the "lovely" CSR at Shaw informed me that my Motorola HDPVR that i got just after Christmas was not sufficient for this service as the US networks are apparently filming in a format of HD that the box does not support.

You can take them in and switch 2 of them out for new Motorola models and then they give you the third for half off but i thought i would just let anyone know in case they were looking to order Sunday Ticket and i'm sure they will also be doing this for Centre Ice.

Last edited by johnnyrocket03; 08-30-2010 at 12:39 PM.
johnnyrocket03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Call back and see what a different CSR says? Or call and say you are going to cancel because Bell is going to give you a free HDPVR for switching over?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got 3 new PVR's free for signing up for Sunday Ticket,thought it was a great deal.All games in HD too.

Edit-I exchanged 3 for free.

Last edited by chummer; 08-30-2010 at 01:03 PM.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
johnnyrocket03
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Call back and see what a different CSR says? Or call and say you are going to cancel because Bell is going to give you a free HDPVR for switching over?
I spoke to a friend who works at Future Shop and he confirmed that the new HDPVR is required to keep up with the new format.

I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone else that was gonna order Sunday Ticket and hadnt bought a new Shaw box in the last couple months.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocket03 View Post
I spoke to a friend who works at Future Shop and he confirmed that the new HDPVR is required to keep up with the new format.

I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone else that was gonna order Sunday Ticket and hadnt bought a new Shaw box in the last couple months.
They used to offer the new box when you ordered Sunday ticket, but they ran out of stock because the response was way bigger than they expected
Old 08-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
johnnyrocket03
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
They used to offer the new box when you ordered Sunday ticket, but they ran out of stock because the response was way bigger than they expected
For me it was just more of the hassle of having to drive down there and everything.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

the US networks are apparently filming in a format of HD that the box does not support

What does this mean? Do we all need new boxes to watch future HD programs?
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing I can think of is that the new Moto boxes can decode MP4. Don't know about the Pace ones.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
Fobby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The new compression method is MP4.. the new box is so much better then the 3416s..
Fobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
MJM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Shaw just put my cable bill up. When I called them and said listen, I have the largest cable package you offer, internet, and phone and you put my bill up while other companies offer me a technology you can't offer (telus) and will offer me a free HDPVR to switch (Bell), it's about time you do something to keep me a customer. The CSR did nothing. Essentially said switch if you want. If they want to lose a $240 a month customer, fine by me. They seem to have turn to morons over night.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
johnnyrocket03
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
the US networks are apparently filming in a format of HD that the box does not support

What does this mean? Do we all need new boxes to watch future HD programs?
Personally I would think that this is the direction its headed. I had no idea there were different formats of HDTV. I am by no means an expert in the area though.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
johnnyrocket03
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobby View Post
The new compression method is MP4.. the new box is so much better then the 3416s..
Can you elaborate on this a little? whats the difference?
Old 08-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #13
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM View Post
Shaw just put my cable bill up. When I called them and said listen, I have the largest cable package you offer, internet, and phone and you put my bill up while other companies offer me a technology you can't offer (telus) and will offer me a free HDPVR to switch (Bell), it's about time you do something to keep me a customer. The CSR did nothing. Essentially said switch if you want. If they want to lose a $240 a month customer, fine by me. They seem to have turn to morons over night.
They did nothing because you were confrontational. I just had my bill halved and the new Moto PVR and Extreme thrown in free for 3 years.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #14
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparantly,due to high demand,the offer is limited to 2 PVR's.I've heard they are out of the Motorola's and trying to push the Pace(which I would avoid).

Good discussion here-

NFL Sunday Ticket
Old 08-30-2010, 12:59 PM   #15
JohnnyO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I signed up for NFL Sunday ticket this weekend, and got my 2 Motorola HD-PVR boxes replaced with 2-1TB Pace boxes. You have to go to the Shaw retail office. (DT or Barlow. McLeod) I think they are out of the 500GB Motorola boxes. The reasoning for the hardware upgrade is the NFL is using MPEG4.
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #16
Fobby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocket03 View Post
Can you elaborate on this a little? whats the difference?
The reason why NFL sunday ticket and NHL center ice is moving to MP4 is because it's a better compression method.. so more channels can be delivered in HD. Meaning more NFL and NHL games will be delivered in HD.

The 3416 does not support the MP4 standard. The new Motorola box does, and the 500GB one supports the expander as well.

The 3416 buzzes even when the PVR is not turned on. The 3416 also experiences sound cutoff and picture cutoff with HDMI. The new Motorola box suppose to have virtually eliminated the problem during testing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fobby For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #17
johnnyrocket03
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
I signed up for NFL Sunday ticket this weekend, and got my 2 Motorola HD-PVR boxes replaced with 2-1TB Pace boxes. You have to go to the Shaw retail office. (DT or Barlow. McLeod) I think they are out of the 500GB Motorola boxes. The reasoning for the hardware upgrade is the NFL is using MPEG4.
Ive heard there are tons of issues with the Pace boxes?
Old 08-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #18
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new Moto box is way better than the 3416. No Audio or video drop offs so far and it's so much more responsive. The 3416 used to respond so slowly to remote input.

The new Moto also comes with an HDMI cable instead of component and also has an IR extender.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #19
Fobby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I heard the new moto box is much faster on Video on Demand as well.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #20
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

NHLCI will be in MPEG-4 as well,hopefully it will mean all games are in HD.

Another reason to do the swap.