Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:
Default Apple: The New Wal-Mart

Sorry, I had to. I saw this story about Apple passing Wal-Mart and I immediately thought of the "Apple: The New Microsoft" thread title. I figured this was a great time to flex my sarcasm muscle... (Muwahaha)

Anyhoo:

Quote:
Just days after reaching $200 billion in market capitalization, Apple has pushed past Berkshire Hathaway and Wal-Mart to take the third spot in market capitalization among publicly-listed U.S. companies behind Exxon Mobil and Microsoft. Apple and Wal-Mart remain neck-and-neck today, with minute-by-minute fluctuations in the two companies' stock prices causing them to rapidly swap positions.
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/12/...apitalization/
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

By the way... you guys know what's really awesome? I Googled Berkshire Hathaway to figure out why they're raking in so much coin without me ever hearing about them.

It turns out they have something to do with Warren Buffett, which kind of gives me all I need to know. That's not the cool thing though. The really awesome thing is that THIS is the website of a company that has a 202.66 billion dollar market cap: http://www.berkshirehathaway.com
Old 03-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Apple to me is like BMW. They're nice stuff. Overpriced for what they truly are, and are more of a status symbol for ######-bags to be seen with.
I have an iphone and like it. I do find people try to make sarcastic witty remarks everytime I take it out to call someone or something else (I am by no means someone who is constantly on their phone in public). sort of a "oh iphone hey big-shot" stupid remark.

Also while this is a apple thread, can someone explain to me what the difference between an apple and a mac is? Is it just like a Harley Davidson and a Hog? or like a Pepsi and 7-up?

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Temporary_User For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
By the way... you guys know what's really awesome? I Googled Berkshire Hathaway to figure out why they're raking in so much coin without me ever hearing about them.

It turns out they have something to do with Warren Buffett, which kind of gives me all I need to know. That's not the cool thing though. The really awesome thing is that THIS is the website of a company that has a 202.66 billion dollar market cap: http://www.berkshirehathaway.com
That, and the value of one share today is $123,000.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

When one of your shares costs $120,000 you don't need a flashy website.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
Also while this is a apple thread, can someone explain to me what the difference between an apple and a mac is? Is it just like a Harley Davidson and a Hog? or like a Pepsi and 7-up?
Apple is to Mac as Toyota is to Camry.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Apple to me is like BMW. They're nice stuff. Overpriced for what they truly are, and are more of a status symbol for ######-bags to be seen with.
I have an iphone and like it.
Wait a second... did you just call yourself a ######-bag with an overpriced phone?

(And asking about the difference between Apple and Mac is like asking the difference between BMW and Z3.)
Old 03-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have an iphone and like it. I do find people try to make sarcastic witty remarks everytime I take it out to call someone or something else (I am by no means someone who is constantly on their phone in public). sort of a "oh iphone hey big-shot" stupid remark.
Really? The iPhone has been out for a while now, it's not that big of a deal anymore. At least I think so and I have had mine for over two years. Now the hot ticket will be the iPad. Expect you're probably more liable to recieve female sanitary napkin cracks than "big-shot" remarks.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Really? The iPhone has been out for a while now, it's not that big of a deal anymore. At least I think so and I have had mine for over two years. Now the hot ticket will be the iPad. Expect you're probably more liable to recieve female sanitary napkin cracks than "big-shot" remarks.
No kidding. I felt pretty self-conscious pulling my iPhone out three years ago when I first got one. Nowadays, I couldn't care less. It's just another phone.
I mean, there's like 30 million of them out there (at last count). I wonder if these same people ever stop and stare when they see something just as common... like... a house cat.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I am a ###### because I have a mac? How does that work? I also have a PC, or three. And I am very happy with my mac. I did not realize I was a ###### if I bought a computer with a different operating system. Did I mention I also have a little computer running linux? I also listen to Cannibal Corpse in case you needed more ammo.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Wait a second... did you just call yourself a ######-bag with an overpriced phone?
Not really. Instead of BMW maybe the Hummer would be a better example as they are often both looked at as vehicles for ######s. Some people buy a hummer to use it for their intended use (off-road) some buy it just to be seen with the latest or coolest (their perception) thing.

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #12
expatflame
Formerly FlamesFaninChina

Exp:

I love Apple and all their products. Seriously, how can people enjoy using PC products? I cringe every time I have to work on Windows Vista.
expatflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

If you think their website is insane, you should read their letters to shareholders - mind bowing for their disclosure, informal warmth, admission of mistakes and lessons learned, etc - seems like truly a unique organization, although you can't help but wonder, like Apple, where they will end up when their magnanimous leaders retire or die.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #14
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
That, and the value of one share today is $123,000.
There's a B class that's affordable by mere mortals.

And know Geico? It's run by him.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #15
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatflame View Post
I love Apple and all their products. Seriously, how can people enjoy using PC products? I cringe every time I have to work on Windows Vista.
PC: If you're using Vista, you're doing it wrong.

I do things on my PC that are simply impossible on a Mac. Well, I mean a Mac could do them, but I'd have to turn it into a PC first. I plays games that don't exist for Mac, run software that doesn't exist for Mac, and use hardware that doesn't have drivers for Mac.

The things that Mac does do better, I either don't do very much or the difference isn't that big.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #16
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
If you think their website is insane, you should read their letters to shareholders - mind bowing for their disclosure, informal warmth, admission of mistakes and lessons learned, etc - seems like truly a unique organization, although you can't help but wonder, like Apple, where they will end up when their magnanimous leaders retire or die.
Yeah I was reading some of that stuff. There's some pretty interesting links there. Some of those Shareholder letters read almost like a letter to a friend. Crazy stuff indeed.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #17
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I look at being pretentious as a badge of honour.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #18
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I laughed when I first went to their site years ago as well. Its pretty funny!

The other cool thing about the three companies you put here are that two of them are worth their market cap (or more) and the other one is Apple
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #19
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone explain what a Market Cap is? I am sure I could google it and figure it out, but I know Slava is looking to take a break from banging out his next newsleter so...
Old 03-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #20
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I wouldn't use the analogy to BMW, they actually are amazing cars to drive, and I don't own nor plan on owning one.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote