Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Shaw PVR help

I have had an old model Shaw PVR for a few years and I recently (4 days ago) bought a Shaw 500gb PVR from Future Shop, the interface seems to be exactly the same but I'm having issues with recording programs.

My problem is that when I record a program, it seems to record fine, the lights turn on and the program shows up in the list but when i try to watch it, nothing really happens. I push play and the screen doesn't change, the bar at the bottom doesn't switch to the program, nothing.

I called Shaw, and the person I talked to didn't really know anything about PVR's, all they could really tell me was that that's not how they are supposed to work (thanks for that), and that maybe I should try to take the box back to Future Shop and have them look at it.

Anyone have similiar problems before?
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe call shaw again? They should be more help than that. They might have to hit the box (reset it). If they can't get it going (with more help than you received previously), then bring it back.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I think Shaw has to add the new hardware to their network. Call back and see if they need to know the serial number or something on your PVR.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
I think Shaw has to add the new hardware to their network. Call back and see if they need to know the serial number or something on your PVR.
Yeah, the serial number on the new HD reciever/PVR will be different from your old one. The Shaw rep should have known that at least. Give this suggestion a try.

One tip for you guys if you want to get a free 500GB HDPVR is to call up Shaw saying that Bell or Telus is offering you a deal to switch to them and they will send you to customer service and they may offer you a deal. We got ours for free for a year in additional to all the tiers for free as well.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote