Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2021, 08:24 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Predators 3 Flames 2 (OT)

Game Takes: Predators 3 Flames 2 (OT)

- Flames out play the Preds but can't finish
- Powerplay goes 1/6
- Winning goal in overtime after Backlund pulled down?

Sorry it's late guys, daughter had a late game!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:05 AM   #2
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thought that the third period the Flames looked more like last years team. Struggled with making passes and too much individual effort or trying to be fancy instead of straightforward hockey. A third period similar to the first in terms of style and they win.

Looked like a pick play and interference on Tkachuk in overtime, but then again he is not a very strong skater so I doubt he even gets back in the play without the delay. Might be why the refs never called it.
Old 11-03-2021, 09:07 AM   #3
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Could Kylington be our Gio replacement? He looked really good last night.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:07 AM   #4
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
Thought that the third period the Flames looked more like last years team. Struggled with making passes and too much individual effort or trying to be fancy instead of straightforward hockey. A third period similar to the first in terms of style and they win.

Looked like a pick play and interference on Tkachuk in overtime, but then again he is not a very strong skater so I doubt he even gets back in the play without the delay. Might be why the refs never called it.
But why does that even matter? A penalty is a penalty.

I am more annoyed with the play before. I thought the trip on Backs was blatant and embarrassing that it wasn’t called.
Old 11-03-2021, 09:09 AM   #5
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another nice write up, thanks.

My observations:

I also didn't think the "pick" on Tkachuk in OT was really worthy of a penalty.

I also didn't get a good look at the trip on Backlund but assuming he was hauled down, anything that results in an odd man rush like that needs to be called. On balance the Flames were treated fairly by the officials but if they missed that, it cost them a chance for another point. I haven't gone looking for a definitive replay because what's the point I guess.

Gaudreau has been awesome as you say, even though he was pointless last night. I feel that every game he has played with purpose and energy. The days of his line being stuck in their own zone are gone right now, even in the opening loss to the Oilers. He is also very dangerous on the PP. Remember earlier in his career when some would say his skills didn't really translate to the PP? The Flames are slinging the puck around beautifully and he is terrorizing the other team. Frankly it's a shame this resurgence is happening in a contract year because it does cast some doubt as to what is behind it. I would love to give all the credit to some clarity from the coaching staff with regards to what to work on during the offseason and the team playing with speed, but don't want to be naïve either.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #6
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---Hatrick--- View Post
But why does that even matter? A penalty is a penalty.

I am more annoyed with the play before. I thought the trip on Backs was blatant and embarrassing that it wasn’t called.
The Flames had a 6-2 advantage in penalties drawn/ taken. 5-2 in judgement penalties. (Josi delay of game)

That is a huge difference that is outside the norm especially that any time that you touch an opponent with your stick COULD be called a penalty.

just using last night as a sample

wings-habs 2-1
sens-wild 4-4
stars-jets 2-4
rangers-canucks 5-6
sabres-sharks 2-1
devils-ducks 5-7
yotes-flyers 0-3

The Flames 6-2 pp advantage really sticks out. Just NHL reffing at its finest. There was no expectation that the refs would make it 7-2 in OT unless it was a delay of game or too many men.

The call on Tkachuk could be interference as Josi was headed to the bench for a line change and Chucky blocked his way as he is apt to do.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:27 AM   #7
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
The Flames had a 6-2 advantage in penalties drawn/ taken. 5-2 in judgement penalties. (Josi delay of game)

That is a huge difference that is outside the norm especially that any time that you touch an opponent with your stick COULD be called a penalty.

wings-habs 2-1
sens-wild 4-4
stars-jets 2-4
rangers-canucks 5-6
sabres-sharks 2-1
devils-ducks 5-7
yotes-flyers 0-3

The Flames 6-2 pp advantage really sticks out. Just NHL reffing at its finest. There was no expectation that the refs would make it 7-2 in OT unless it was a delay of game or too many men.

The call on Tkachuk could be interference as Josi was headed to the bench for a line change and Chucky blocked his way as he is apt to do.
the Flames definitely had a highly skewed PP advantage- to be expected likely as they were carrying the play most of the night

at that point I get those who might say 'oh the flames need another PP do they?' or 'they would just waste the PP anyways' or whatnot. at that point I don't even care if the Flames get a PP per se, its more the fact that (depending on your perspective) either one or two of the Flames 3 players on the ice were taken out of the play due to fouls- I just want the play blown dead. call Backlund for diving or Tkachuk for being Tkachuk along with the Preds penalty if you want ( for the record I'm not saying it was a dive) just blow the play dead

I know its a weird take, can't believe I'm proposing it but there must be some sort of middle ground between 'dont' want to give one team too many penalties' and 'oh well do whatever you want'
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:49 AM   #8
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

wings-habs 2-1
sens-wild 4-4
stars-jets 2-4
rangers-canucks 5-6
sabres-sharks 2-1
devils-ducks 5-7
yotes-flyers 0-3

When one team is running roughshod over their opponent they tend to draw penalties.

Is there a call against Nashville that you think was unfair?
Old 11-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #9
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

wings-habs 2-1
sens-wild 4-4
stars-jets 2-4
rangers-canucks 5-6
sabres-sharks 2-1
devils-ducks 5-7
yotes-flyers 0-3

The car is unlocked and the back door is open.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:59 PM   #10
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
When one team is running roughshod over their opponent they tend to draw penalties.

Is there a call against Nashville that you think was unfair?
No. Pretty well all penalties that are called can be justified. There are many, many pretty much exact same plays that don't draw a Penalty.

Do you think that there were any penalties that could be called against the Flames that were let go?

The nature of the game can be changed by a penalty call. Having 6PPs really keeps the roughshod momentum going one way.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 02:01 PM   #11
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Flames lose?

ricardodw posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2021, 02:18 PM   #12
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
No. Pretty well all penalties that are called can be justified. There are many, many pretty much exact same plays that don't draw a Penalty.

Do you think that there were any penalties that could be called against the Flames that were let go?

The nature of the game can be changed by a penalty call. Having 6PPs really keeps the roughshod momentum going one way.
Keep on mining I guess.

I know when the Flames are heavily out played I expect them to take more penalties than the opposition as a rule.

Are you suggesting the egg came first? That the Flames only dominated because they had more powerplays?
Old 11-03-2021, 02:34 PM   #13
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames had a 6-2 advantage n penalties drawn/ taken. 5-2 in judgement penalties. (Josi delay of game)

wings-habs 2-1
sens-wild 4-4
stars-jets 2-4
rangers-canucks 5-6
sabres-sharks 2-1
devils-ducks 5-7
yotes-flyers 0-3

You know what else stands out? That the Flames had the highest XGF% of any game that has taken place this entire season at all strengths and the 7th highest XGF% at 5v5.

The Flames absolutely pumped the Predators and penalties were if anything skewed to the Preds favour.

I mean, that is if penalties are based on game play and not some sense of "keeping it even" by refs.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2021, 03:08 PM   #14
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I know you like to go against the grain on this forum, but the play I’m talking about was blatant as can be and literally created a 2 on 1 going the other way in OT. It doesn’t really matter what team has had more PP’s in the game. A penalty is a penalty, especially one so obvious to call.

The nature of the game can also be changed by a non call in 3 on 3 OT, as you can see from last night.