Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:
Default Flights to Asia - recommendations

I'm planning a trip back to Thailand with some friends at the end of January and trying to get a flight booked. The lowest prices I'm finding are with Delta and Air China, anyone have any experiences with either for long haul flights? I've gone with Air Canada in the past which was great (Calgary > Tokyo on a brand new Boeing 777), but that's a few hundred bucks extra this time around with a lengthy layover in Tokyo. I'm prepared to spend the extra money though to avoid the horror stories I've heard from American companies, and I know nothing about how good the Chinese ones are
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

if you go AC 9 to Narita and then take TG 677 (Thai Airways) or NH 807 (ANA) to Bangkok you should only have a couple hour layover in Tokyo. It's worth the extra couple hundred imo. The ANA flight will likely be a new 787 too. The ANA flight from Narita to Bangkok was legitimately the best flight I've ever been on, and I hate flying. Great service, great food, huge roomy plane.

Last edited by nik-; 12-15-2015 at 10:31 AM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:49 AM   #3
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Trying going through Vancouver to Haneda with ANA. That may help reduce the cost, and it goes on sales sometimes. Use Google Flights or Sky Scanner to help.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i hope you are planning to spend at least one night in bangkok (oriental city)
Old 12-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #5
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It may be a little more but support our YYC-NRT flight. It will still be operated by a 767 at that time, it's switching to a 787 Dreamliner later in 2016.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:38 AM   #6
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

We traveled to Thailand this past March and April. We went Calgary to Vancouver to Hong Kong to Koh Samui. The Cathay Pacific flight from Vancouver to Hong Kong was fantastic. We weren't in first class, and taking that into account, I can't imagine the service, comfort, and entertainment offerings being much better on any other airline. No complaints.

On a side note, don't rent a scooter over there. Just don't.........
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #7
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Check the YYC Flight Deals page on Facebook.(I cant log in right now for some reason)
They had posted a deal last week for extremely cheap flights out of LA. I think it was $527 return. It was on ANA Air.
So, you pay whatever the cost to get to go YYC-LAX, and then on ANA you do LAX-NRT-BKK for $527 return.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #8
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd go with Air Canada to Tokyo and then ANA to BKK.
Nothing wrong with the 767, I actually prefer the 2-3-2 seat configuration.
I flew ANA in August and they were the best airline I've ever flown on.

If you go through Hong Kong avoid Air Canada as they use the HD 777, I've heard horror stories about it.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:19 PM   #9
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Suite class on Singapore Airlines is pretty nice, and a real steal at $15000 US return.

DISCLAIMER: Lovely lady not included
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:45 PM   #10
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Actually I forgot about the crapload of Petropoints I had saved up on my card which can be used for flights on itravel2000.com. Calgary > Tokyo on Air Canada, then Tokyo > Bangkok on ANA. On the way back it's Bangkok > Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific, then Hong Kong > Van > Cgy on Air Canada. Shortest layovers I could find, and I was able to bring a $1280 round trip ticket down to $780 after using up all my points. Total win I think
Old 12-15-2015, 01:47 PM   #11
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've flown there with Air Canada, United, Cathay Pacific and Air China? or China airlines? I can't remember. The best is Cathay Pacific. Hot stewardess' serve you hot towels, a very good meal and they bring around haagen daz ice cream. Granted this was a very long time ago (8 years or so?)

Air Canada has gotten considerably better from before. They have a solid entertainment system, but the food is just a meh.

United wasn't bad either. I can't really notice a difference from Air Canada. Both have good entertainment selections. Although I think they are now moving from the head back tv to bring your own. I didn't like it because they don't have power plugs for every seat and you need to hold your device in your hands. Gets tiring on your neck and hands after a while.

And I would rank Air China last. Their entertainment is just brutal if you can't understand Chinese. For a 10+ hour flight, you need movies. Unless you have an iPad and all that technology stuff.

If you have the chance to fly Asian airlines like Singapore, Malaysia, or Cathay, by god do it! Totally different experience than what we're used to.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #12
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
We traveled to Thailand this past March and April. We went Calgary to Vancouver to Hong Kong to Koh Samui. The Cathay Pacific flight from Vancouver to Hong Kong was fantastic. We weren't in first class, and taking that into account, I can't imagine the service, comfort, and entertainment offerings being much better on any other airline. No complaints.

On a side note, don't rent a scooter over there. Just don't.........
Don't know about Koh Samui, but renting a scooter on Koh Chang is an absolute must. Less than $5 per day and one of the largest islands in the country to bomb around on, total blast
Old 12-15-2015, 01:50 PM   #13
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is Koh Chang tourist wise? Less busy? I was thinking of doing Koh Chang and Koh Samet when I go back.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #14
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
How is Koh Chang tourist wise? Less busy? I was thinking of doing Koh Chang and Koh Samet when I go back.
Less busy, but seems to be getting more well known each year so who knows how long that will last. There's several different beaches with hotels, restaurants, and bars around, kind of like mini-towns. Lonely Beach is the most popular with the backpacking crowd and there's always a party scene there. White Sand Beach seems more family oriented with larger resorts, but there's still quite a few bars and a decent nightclub. I've stayed there a couple times and just taken the scooter down to Lonely Beach to do some partying, cops really don't seem to care if you're half-cut riding on those things as long as you're wearing a helmet
Old 12-15-2015, 02:11 PM   #15
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
On the way back it's Bangkok > Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific, then Hong Kong > Van > Cgy on Air Canada.
I hope you're not a big person Hemi, because that HKG to YVR flight is anything but comfortable on that Air Canada Flight.

The 777s that they use on the Hong Kong to Vancouver flight are the ones that are 10 abreast in Economy.

Personally, I don't think I'm anywhere near a definition of a big guy at only 5'7", and slightly over average weight for someone that height. The economy seats on that flight just felt uncomfortably tight.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #16
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Don't know about Koh Samui, but renting a scooter on Koh Chang is an absolute must. Less than $5 per day and one of the largest islands in the country to bomb around on, total blast
Oh it's extremely affordable and fun, until it's not. Sketchy road rules, traffic mayhem, driving on the opposite side of the road, no available auto insurance while there (travel insurance doesn't cover 2 wheeled vehicles). I'm still dealing with dental work to the tune of $25k 8 months later (thankfully this is covered up to 80% by work benefits).

If you're in an accident you're almost always sure to be the one found at fault rather than a local - reasoning being if you hadn't come, the accident wouldn't have happened. You're then in the position of having to negotiate with the local/"victim" and the police as to how much you're liable to pay for "damages and injuries", from which the police will take their cut after negotiations and payment are complete.

Many people do it with no issues I'm sure - just be aware of what you are and aren't covered for and what the consequences of an accident will be.

Last edited by Ruttiger; 12-15-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #17
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually I forgot about the crapload of Petropoints I had saved up on my card which can be used for flights on itravel2000.com. Calgary > Tokyo on Air Canada, then Tokyo > Bangkok on ANA. On the way back it's Bangkok > Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific, then Hong Kong > Van > Cgy on Air Canada. Shortest layovers I could find, and I was able to bring a $1280 round trip ticket down to $780 after using up all my points. Total win I think
If you're returning on AC's HD 777 I would upgrade to premium economy.
It's about $250 more and well worth it on that 14 hour flight.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #18
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
I hope you're not a big person Hemi, because that HKG to YVR flight is anything but comfortable on that Air Canada Flight.

The 777s that they use on the Hong Kong to Vancouver flight are the ones that are 10 abreast in Economy.

Personally, I don't think I'm anywhere near a definition of a big guy at only 5'7", and slightly over average weight for someone that height. The economy seats on that flight just felt uncomfortably tight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
If you're returning on AC's HD 777 I would upgrade to premium economy.
It's about $250 more and well worth it on that 14 hour flight.
Good to know, thanks. Is that flight always full? I've had success in the past asking the front desk for a row to myself if the plane isn't full, and I'm coming home on a Thursday which wouldn't seem to be a prime travel day. If that doesn't work, how far in advance do you need to ask for an upgrade?
Old 12-15-2015, 04:12 PM   #19
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I went with Delta, on the way there it was SeaTac-Narita- Bangkok.

I really like Delta they have good service, and Narita is their Western Pacific hub so all the flights coming in and out are synchronized so that you don't have to spend too much time there. Literally like enough time to use the washroom and get some food and then it was back out. The only problem was on the way home they routed me through Minneapolis which is kind of out of the way.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:25 PM   #20
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good to know, thanks. Is that flight always full? I've had success in the past asking the front desk for a row to myself if the plane isn't full, and I'm coming home on a Thursday which wouldn't seem to be a prime travel day. If that doesn't work, how far in advance do you need to ask for an upgrade?
If you go to Air Canada's website and plug in your date you can see how many empty seats there are. I just checked on Thursday the 28th and premium economy is now twice as much as economy so it must be filling up.