Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2016, 07:15 PM   #1
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Horace and Pete - Louis CK

Horace and Pete

Louis C.K. announced in August that he was taking an "extended hiatus" from his acclaimed FX series Louie in order to work on other projects. Saturday brought the surprise-release of one of those extracurricular activities as the comedian sent out a simple email to fans announcing the arrival of his dramatic, darkly humorous new series Horace and Pete, starring C.K. and Steve Buscemi in the title roles. The show's first episode is available to purchase now for $5 at C.K.'s official site.

Last edited by To Be Quite Honest; 02-02-2016 at 09:38 PM.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2016, 03:13 AM   #2
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

After watching the first episode I'm sadly recommending you pass. It's an art piece, but most will not like it and, even though the cast is frickin' amazing it's some of the slowest dialogue and pacing I've seen recently. If it was .99 cents an episode I'd say experiment with it, but $5 is too much and I don't want Louis experimenting on this when Louie is suffering.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:00 AM   #3
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just watched this series and it was unlike any I've seen before. It was very dour and felt like a play more than tv. The characters are well written and the cast top notch. The performances were probably the best element with Alda and Buscemi stealing the show. It made me think, cry, and laugh (very few laughs, but good ones).

It was never offered to any networks and wasn't promoted at all ;LCK wanted people to go in completely cold. Even the episode lengths were inconsistent. I heard about it on the WTF podcast (don't listen as there is a major spoiler there) so I didn't get the intended experience.

It won't be for everyone. Half way through the first episode I was considering tapping out but before I knew it, I had blown through 4 episodes. I think the most intriguing thing to me was that it was so anti-TV that I wanted to see where it would go. Having worked in a bar and being around day drinkers also had me sucked in because the depiction was so accurate. The dude has a wide creative range.

If you don't want to download it, keep your eyes open for it as he may sell it to a network.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #4
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I enjoyed it. Very different though, like burnin_vernon said.

Basically a depressing play.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:09 AM   #5
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was good, but I definitely needed a hug afterwards. That was some pretty dark ####.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:08 PM   #6
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

I liked it, one of those kind of shows that's all about the micro details, the small expressions and verbal exchanged are very complex and well thought out. Very much a character drama that requires buying into the world they live in.

Most of all I think it means to make the audience question certain behaviors. Pete is a very complex character that hides a lot of emotion right under the surface. The show focuses on Pete while Horace serves to explore his narrative.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote