Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Meet "badBIOS", cutting edge virus?

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013...jumps-airgaps/

Fascinating story about what seems to be a real state of the art virus.

Quote:
Ruiu observed more odd phenomena that seemed straight out of a science-fiction thriller. A computer running the Open BSD operating system also began to modify its settings and delete its data without explanation or prompting. His network transmitted data specific to the Internet's next-generation IPv6 networking protocol, even from computers that were supposed to have IPv6 completely disabled. Strangest of all was the ability of infected machines to transmit small amounts of network data with other infected machines even when their power cords and Ethernet cables were unplugged and their Wi-Fi and Bluetooth cards were removed. Further investigation soon showed that the list of affected operating systems also included multiple variants of Windows and Linux.

"We were like, 'Okay, we're totally owned,'
Itse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hal did this
Old 10-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's scary!
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Anyone else see this chick at the mall?

CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ Only reason why that movie was even worth watching.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

How the hell are machines communicating with each other with no power? Or zero network access for that matter? Did zombie Nikola Tesla write this virus?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

No network access is a bit harder to explain, but no power is a little bit easier to swallow. I assume they didn't remove cmos battery.

Actually, if the other computer is on, I could totally understand basic network communication as well, especially if it has wifi.

Last edited by Rathji; 10-31-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

If you read the article, they are communicating via ultrasonic noise from speakers to mics in other computers which is already an established working concept.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I think I missed the last half of the article. I read that they had tested the ultrasonic networking, but missed the part where they figured out that that's how the virus was communicating for sure.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
How the hell are machines communicating with each other with no power? Or zero network access for that matter? Did zombie Nikola Tesla write this virus?
They were laptops, running off battery.

The rest of that article is hard to read. So, he got two laptops infected with viruses from usb drives (not unheard of) and they set up some kind of network between each other using a mic/speaker?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
and they set up some kind of network between each other using a mic/speaker?
Yep. Clever actually. The only way to stop the virus from spreading was removing the network card, wifi, bluetooth, speakers and mics.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Yep. Clever actually. The only way to stop the virus from spreading was removing the network card, wifi, bluetooth, speakers and mics.
That was the part that I didn't quite get. For the virus to infect another computer, the victim computer would need to have its microphone enabled and some software to actually convert the audio to some form of data that could be used to actually do something. The system as described, sounds like both computers need to be pre-infected with this mic/speaker virus and then those two can just communicate with each other, but it still seems isolated to those two computers.

I guess the greater danger would be, being able to just stick a thumb drive into some random computer and being able to grab data off it due to the virus.

I guess this is not significantly different though than how old dial-up BBSs operated, so could get some decent data rates at least.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #13
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I bet it's some kind of social engineering stunt, he's going to say "look at this group of people that responded in this way to this information" or something, I doubt the virus exists.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #14
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The system as described, sounds like both computers need to be pre-infected with this mic/speaker virus and then those two can just communicate with each other, but it still seems isolated to those two computers.
That's how I read it. But this would allow a computer that has been partially infected (or partially cured) to become fully infected by getting the files it needs from the ultrasonic network.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #15
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a boring rebuttal to the story.

http://www.rootwyrm.com/2013/11/the-...ysis-is-wrong/

Quote:
So what do I think? I think that A) a number of security experts flapping their gums are good at security and know nothing about how hardware works and B) it’s absolutely not a BIOS/Firmware level piece of malware. There are far, far too many blatant and obvious detection points. There is no way it could hop from Apple to PC, or even PC to PC or Macbook 2013 to Macbook 2011. (Forget Macbook to Mac Pro.)
I’m not saying that UEFI or BIOS is secure – I’ll get to that in another post – but I am saying that calling it badBIOS is wrong. It’s absolutely not. Either it is an extremely limited piece of BIOS malware or it is occurring at the OS and escaping detection through previously unknown methods. Half the claims made regarding what it does (disabling registry editing, etc.) are so far from reasonable and possible with the BIOS it makes me facepalm. Point blank, these things are absolutely not possible, period. This is something going on at the OS level, the end.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #16
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a clever idea, but how it could ever cause mass infection is beyond me, if close proximity of the computers is a requirement. It would be great if your intent was yo steal information from one computer. Otherwise it seems like stars have to align precisely for this to work reliably.

And on that note, why would any respectable computer authority be sticking questionable thumb drives into their computers?
Old 11-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #17
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think the "quality" of a virus isn't based so much how easily it can infect a computer as it is how difficult it is to detect/remove. Viruses will tend to attack similar vulnerabilities - social engineering hacks (like thumb drives) or software exploits. As mentioned before, this virus doesn't infect through sound waves, but it can help heal itself through sound waves, which is what makes it novel. Isolating an infected computer doesn't just mean unplugging a network cable, but potentially disabling the microphone and/or removing nearby computers.

Not necessarily a "game changer", but the idea could lead to more dangerous viruses in the future. One can imagine if there was a vulnerability in a piece of software that did use the microphone/speakers - maybe iTunes, or Skype, say - then, depending on the vulnerability, there might be a chance that an infection could occur over sound waves. Essentially, this increases the "attack surface area".
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #18
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Turns out that a couple people examined his files and evidence that he posted online, and to summarize, they essentially recommended a mental health day for Dragos.

I will see if I can find the links and post them later.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #19
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Turns out that a couple people examined his files and evidence that he posted online, and to summarize, they essentially recommended a mental health day for Dragos.

Yeah.

Boring.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #20
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013...alware-claims/
The Following User Says Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post: