Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Jon Stewart leaving the Daily Show

http://www.avclub.com/article/jon-st...ly-show-215070

Quote:
Ending one of the most venerable and trusted careers in making a complete mockery of the news, Jon Stewart has announced that he is stepping down as host of The Daily Show. According to sources who were there (some of whom are already passing word along on social media), Stewart let the news slip at the taping of today’s episode, telling those in the audience that he’s retiring. No word yet on when exactly he’s leaving, whether this means he’s ending his time in the anchor chair to focus on being a Serious Movie Director now, or just how much this is Brian Williams’ fault. Presumably all of this information will be revealed in time—and delivered by Stewart himself tonight on your television. We’ll update when we have more.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. It really was just a matter of time but that sucks.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

A shame
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:11 PM   #4
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stewart couldn't do it forever. Hopefully guys like Oliver and the new guy who took over Colbert's slot keep the accountability in tact that Colbert and primarily Jon Stewart started.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:23 PM   #5
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Stewart couldn't do it forever. Hopefully guys like Oliver and the new guy who took over Colbert's slot keep the accountability in tact that Colbert and primarily Jon Stewart started.
I've been pretty disappointed with Wilmore. It's a shame because I had such high hopes for him. Jon's going to be hard to replace.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:52 PM   #6
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I've been pretty disappointed with Wilmore. It's a shame because I had such high hopes for him. Jon's going to be hard to replace.
I came here to say I hope they find someone better than Wilmore.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #7
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Comedy Central will even try to replace him. Or simply cancel Wilmore and do something different with the entire hour.
Finger Cookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #8
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Losing him and Colbert so close together sucks... Those two guys have gotten me through some bad times. No matter what I could count on them to make me laugh.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #9
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Jon was not the first host. Remember Kilborn?

I heard NPR interview Jon in November about the possibility of him ever leaving the Daily Show. Will see if I can find it ....

http://www.npr.org/2014/11/19/365222...the-work-we-do

Stewart talks about his future hosting the show known for its political satire.

"It is unclear to me," he tells Fresh Air's Terry Gross. "The minute I say I'm not going to do it anymore, I will miss it like crazy."

Last edited by troutman; 02-10-2015 at 06:58 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:51 PM   #10
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

If Ghostbusters can be women, how about a female host?

Like Tina Fey.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2015, 07:02 PM   #11
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Losing Colbert was bad enough, but now Stewart so shortly after? Man this sucks, my entire late night TV routine is dying. Larry Wilmore's show isn't even close to the quality of TDS or Colbert Report, and every other late night show follows the exact same formula and it's done to death

Ugh, now I'm kinda pissed that John Oliver already has his own show. Yes Last Week Tonight is absolutely fantastic, but it's only once a week, and Oliver was a perfect host for The Daily Show when Stewart was doing his movie. If he had taken over permanently I don't think they would have lost a beat, but now I don't know who can fill those shoes and not be a disappointment

EDIT: And I just realized that means no Jon Stewart for the 2016 election, BOO! Him and Colbert were the only guys that made the insane American election cycle entertaining. Now I'm just depressed

Last edited by Hemi-Cuda; 02-10-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #12
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those will be some big shoes to fill.

But I think it's a good time. Leaving while he still has it. The height of his popularity has passed anyway, but he'll leave behind him a show that's a cultural icon. He lead that show from rather cheap laughs to a platform of actually relevant social criticism. Hosting that show could be the chance of a lifetime for a smart comedian.

I would also hope they give it to someone a bit less established than, say, Tina Fey. The show made Jon Stewart a name and will instantly make the next host a big name (for a while at least). It does not need a big name host. And I think it would work better if the host is a bit more of a fresh face with some fresh axes to grind.

Didn't they use to have a pair of hosts at some point? I could see them going back to that format.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:14 PM   #13
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Those will be some big shoes to fill.

But I think it's a good time. Leaving while he still has it. The height of his popularity has passed anyway, but he'll leave behind him a show that's a cultural icon. He lead that show from rather cheap laughs to a platform of actually relevant social criticism. Hosting that show could be the chance of a lifetime for a smart comedian.

I would also hope they give it to someone a bit less established than, say, Tina Fey. The show made Jon Stewart a name and will instantly make the next host a big name (for a while at least). It does not need a big name host. And I think it would work better if the host is a bit more of a fresh face with some fresh axes to grind.

Didn't they use to have a pair of hosts at some point? I could see them going back to that format.
The only two hosts have been Craig Kilborn and Jon Stewart, and Stewart himself was already quite well known before taking over. He's also probably second only to Saturday Night Live for the amount of careers he's launched in movies and comedy
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #14
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

When Jon Oliver came in to replace him, he did an amazing job. It really sucks to see Jon go, but I am hopeful that they will be able to find someone to replace him. The suggestion of Tina Fey is interesting. There are so many good comedians out there.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:25 PM   #15
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Stewart himself was already quite well known before taking over.
Obviously you don't give a flagship comedy show like that to someone without a track record, but Tina Fey is probably among the best known comedians in the world right now. She was the star of an internationally succesful multi-award winning critically acclaimed comedy drama show that lasted for seven seasons, which is a long time for any series.

Jon Stewart had his own MTV talkshow for a couple of seasons. There's a pretty big difference between what Jon Stewart was and what Tina Fey is.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2015, 08:03 PM   #16
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kilborn was the first host, but Stewart really steered the show in the direction that it is in now. It's hardly even the same show any more.

I didn't realize Colbert left his show too. Was never really a fan of it any way. I always like Stewart though, but haven't watched the show in at least a year.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #17
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
When Jon Oliver came in to replace him, he did an amazing job. It really sucks to see Jon go, but I am hopeful that they will be able to find someone to replace him. The suggestion of Tina Fey is interesting. There are so many good comedians out there.
Can't Jon Oliver take over? Daily show is a bigger platform than his current one
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:31 PM   #18
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Kilborn was the first host, but Stewart really steered the show in the direction that it is in now. It's hardly even the same show any more.

I didn't realize Colbert left his show too. Was never really a fan of it any way. I always like Stewart though, but haven't watched the show in at least a year.
He didn't just leave his show, he was signed on to take over for David Letterman. You didn't see that anywhere?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #19
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Can't Jon Oliver take over? Daily show is a bigger platform than his current one
John Oliver has a two year contract with HBO that isn't even a year old. Even if he could just up and leave at any moment he has a great gig and HBO is a great platform.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2015, 08:54 PM   #20
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if that Egyptian "Jon Stewart" can take over. I think Bassem Youseff has been on the daily Show a few times, including yesterday. He could potentially be decent.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote