Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2024, 11:16 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default CaptainCrunch's all time top 10 favorite TV series.

I haven’t done a top 10 list for a long time and thought that I would jump in and rank my top 10 favourite series of all time. Some of these are old, some are never, some ended way to soon, and some came to a satisfying conclusion.

To make this a more difficult challenge, I thought I would ban Star Trek and Star Wars from the discussion.
I’m going to split this into 3 parts. Feel free to list your own, or debate how bad my taste is, but here we go.
Part 1 (10 to 7) – Captain Crunch’s all time favourite TV series.

10) V – 1983

A series that came from a pair of popular mini-series. V only lasted one short season as a series. The plot was based around what happens if Aliens come to earth and offer their friendship, in exchange for some simple resources like water, they’ll jump our technology, cure our diseases and end war and suffering.

Would you trust them? Or would you listen to the conspiracy nut down the street that says they’re not on the up and up. V attempts to answer those questions.

When you look back at the effects they don’t age well, but for the time they were state of the art. V was lead by a solid cast of actors including Marc Singer, Michael Ironside, a deliciously evil Jane Badlar and a pre Freddy Krueger Robert England.

This was a series that combined the best of 80’s cheese with some serious imagery and discussions. The Aliens right down to their symbols are comparable to Nazi’s, who like to eat people.

Sadly the show only lasted one season, by the end of the series the writers had written themselves into corners and the story lines became rather nonsensical. However this is a show that could go on for a few years, it did inspire a 2009 remake, that took things more seriously, but it could never match the first time series.

Best Episodes
  • Liberation
  • Breakout (S1E3)
  • Visitors Choice (S1E6)
9) Tour of Duty – 1987-90

One of my favourite series that was created at the height of the Vietnam war movies like Full Metal Jacket, Platoon and others. The series follows a platoon of rookie soldiers in Vietnam led by veteran Sargent Zeke Anderson and Lt Myron Goldman. Tour of Duty tackled serious issues beyond the death of squad mates, as it challenged conscripted soldiers, PTSD, drug abuse, war crimes, desertion and cowardice in the field. Shot in Hawaii, it did a good job of showing the unpleasantness of the Vietnam jungle. The cast of actors was really strong, but most of the actors didn’t have stellar careers after the end. The series ended on a really satisfying note as it followed some of the soldiers home where they had to deal with their experiences in the Jungles of Vietnam.

Best Episodes
  • Pilot (S1E1)
  • Under Siege (S1E14)
  • The Hill (S1E21)
  • Terms of Enlistment (S2E9)
  • Payback (S3E21)
8) Firefly 2002-03

One of the many series that was cancelled way before its time. Firefly was a great combination of science fiction and Western. What carried this show was the strong writing of the now disgraced Joss Whedon, and the cast lead by Nathon Fillion. This was a true character study, and each of the characters had different issues and secrets. The effects were good for a time, and you could almost call the ship Serenity another character on its own. The sharp dialogue and incredibly character development made this a great series that ended way too soon.

Best Episodes
  • Our Mrs. Reynolds (S1E3)
  • Jaynestown (S1E4)Objects in Space
  • (S1E10)T
  • rash (S1E13)
7) Space Above and Beyond 1995-95

A really interesting concept of Marine pilots in space fighting a war against a ruthless enemy. Another show that was cancelled after its only season, but could have been so much more. The show addressed the whole war is hell scenario, but also addressed racism, humanities really dark side, and also laid the seeds that the Humans and not the Aliens were the true villains. The series ended with serious season 1 cliff hangers that was never resolved including the possible deaths of multiple cast members. I loved the set design and effects for the time and It showcased the best spacefighter design in the Hammerhead fighter.

Best Episodes
  • Mutiny (S1E4)
  • Choice or Chance (S1E9)
  • Tell our mom's we done our best S1E21

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2024, 12:06 AM   #2
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

V would be on my top 10 for sure. I collected and read all the comics and novels too... I think I'm due for a re-read.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
V
Old 07-30-2024, 12:32 AM   #3
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was pretty young when V came out but have some memory of it. I recall Robert Englund was in it and played kind of a goofy character which I thought was funny because he was supposed to be Freddy Kruger to me.

I also remember kids at school pulling the sandwich meat from the sandwiches, and saying "mousey" and tilting their heads up before eating it. Did kids at other schools do that, or was it just kids in my weird town?
Old 07-30-2024, 01:52 AM   #4
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I'm a huge fan of the old Sci-Fi TV series from the 60's

The Invaders:

Quote:
The Invaders is an American science-fiction television series created by Larry Cohen that aired on ABC for two seasons, from 1967 to 1968. Roy Thinnes stars as David Vincent, who after stumbling across evidence of an in-progress invasion of aliens from outer space—the aliens disguising themselves as humans and gradually infiltrating human institutions—tries to thwart the invasion despite the disbelief of officials and the general public, and the undermining of his efforts by the aliens. The series was a Quinn Martin production.

The Time Tunnel:

Quote:
About The Time Tunnel: While conducting an experiment in time travel, scientists Dr. Tony Newman and Dr. Douglas Phillips find themselves whisked from time period to time period, while their colleagues back in the present desperately struggle to retrieve the two men. The pair frequently find themselves on the brink of a major historical event, and while the scientists back home can see the action unfolding wherever Newman and Phillips are, they are helpless to offer any aid.

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea:

Quote:
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea is a 1960s American science fiction television series based on the 1961 film of the same name. Both were created by Irwin Allen, which enabled the movie's sets, costumes, props, special effects models, and sometimes footage, to be used in the production of the television series.

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea was the first of Irwin Allen's four science fiction television series as well as the longest running. The show's main theme was underwater adventure. Voyage was broadcast on ABC from September 14, 1964 to March 31, 1968, and was the decade's longest-running American science fiction television series with continuing characters.

The 110 episodes produced included 32 shot in black and white (1964?65), and 78 filmed in color (1965?68). The first two seasons took place in the then future of the 1970s. The final two seasons took place in the 1980s. The show starred Richard Basehart and David Hedison.

Last edited by Dion; 07-30-2024 at 01:55 AM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2024, 01:56 AM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was a big fan of Stargate SG-1 growing up.

'Space Above and Beyond' is high on my list as well.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2024, 09:30 AM   #6
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed V a lot too as a kid. Didn't it get cancelled before a proper conclusion?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2024, 09:43 AM   #7
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure what part of this thread made me think of this, but I'm just gonna leave it here for fun:

Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2024, 09:51 AM   #8
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the exception of Firefly, I can't be the only one who has never even heard of any of these shows! I'm not sure which 10 would be on my own list, but in no particular order, it would include The Sopranos, The Wire, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Boardwalk Empire, but all of these are more recent.

Last edited by activeStick; 07-30-2024 at 09:54 AM.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2024, 10:01 AM   #9
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if I can lsit 10 but my favorites (in no particular order except #1) are:

MASH would be the top of my list.

Honorable mention:
Happy Days
NYPD Blue
Criminal Minds
CSI Vegas (the original one on CBS)

Sopranos but I'll put that with an asterisk since it is a streaming service series rather than network TV so not accessible to everyone.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2024, 10:03 AM   #10
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i'm trying to think back to shows that i really liked from years ago...
macgyver
chips
tour of duty
stargate (all of the different series)

about the only shows i watch now are the 'roadkill' ones on discovery velocity (roadkill, roadkill garage, faster with finnegan, faster with newbern & cotten) - they just crack me up with the dumb stuff they do... and well, muscle cars are awesome!
Old 07-30-2024, 10:12 AM   #11
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Space: Above and Beyond... Haven't heard that name in decades. I remember loving that show and was pretty bummed it only went 1 season.

Most of my favorite shows have been in the last 10 years. If we're talking somewhat forgotten 90s sci-fi, when I was a teenager I loved this one:

No idea how it would hold up now, but I should check out an episode just to see.

And when from I was slightly younger:

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2024, 11:26 AM   #12
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eerie, Indiana was a pretty underrated show. I haven't watched it since back in the day, so I am not sure how it would hold up today. I did see it on a Watch Mojo list of shows cancelled that shouldn't have been.
Old 07-30-2024, 11:49 AM   #13
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I don't know if I can lsit 10 but my favorites (in no particular order except #1) are:

MASH would be the top of my list.

Honorable mention:
Happy Days
NYPD Blue
Criminal Minds
CSI Vegas (the original one on CBS)

Sopranos but I'll put that with an asterisk since it is a streaming service series rather than network TV so not accessible to everyone.
Maybe it’s a generational thing but those, while not all would be top 10, are all favourites. MASH is my #1.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2024, 11:59 AM   #14
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Space: Above and Beyond was great! From the makers of the X-files, iirc.

Chiggy von Richthofen was like Scar from Battlestar Galactica

Chigs, Silicates, Nipple Necks (aka Tanks). Very creative, and ahead of it's time.

Last edited by Canada 02; 07-30-2024 at 07:44 PM.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2024, 12:08 PM   #15
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taking Star Trek out of the equation makes it a bit more difficult, but here's some names:

M*A*S*H
WKRP in Cincinnati
SCTV
Twilight Zone
Trailer Park Boys
Babylon 5
Friday the 13th: the Series
Greg the Bunny
Fawlty Towers
Spitting Image

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2024, 12:20 PM   #16
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Not in order:

MASH
WKRP
All In The Family
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Community
SCTV
Arrested Development
Game of Thrones
Schitt's Creek
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2024, 02:31 PM   #17
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Batman TAS would be on my list. It was the perfect show at the right time in my life.

Deep Space Nine. I'm currently doing a rewatch, and am reminded how great it is.

Mad Men, Game of Thrones, and Stranger Things would make the list. Maybe For All Mankind.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2024, 06:18 PM   #18
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

My list begins and ends here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2024, 06:23 PM   #19
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chernobyl was so good that it was completely riveting despite the fact that we all knew what the ending generally would be.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2024, 09:40 PM   #20
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

If forced to name 10, in no order:

Mad Men
Star Trek TOS
Game of Thrones
WKRP
Better Call Saul
Sopranos
The Wire
All in the Family
Twilight Zone
Lost
Friday Night Lights

I guess that's 11. Not including shows like Band of Brothers, Chernobyl or True Detective S1.

HM to Succession and The Americans.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote