Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2023, 10:01 AM   #1
oilfanforever
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Going sober

Lurking the board this morning, and came across a couple posts related to alcohol, so thought I would throw the question out there - has anyone given up booze? And if so, what tactics did you use, or advice do you have?

For a bit of background, I don't have any dependencies, but as I get older it juts doesn't seem as worth it. Having socialized with booze my whole adult life, I am finding it difficult to go sober, and post pandemic socializing a lot, therefore drinking more.

I recently saw some statistics out of the UK that are showing younger generations giving up booze at huge rates. I think you can see this in all of the non-alcoholic drinks hitting the market.

Perhaps it's just me, but feels like society is slowly turning it's back on booze, and I want in.

Tips and tricks much appreciated.
oilfanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to oilfanforever For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 10:05 AM   #2
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just... don't really drink much any more. Same as you, I don't have a dependency, I just don't really like the wasted money and feeling crappy when I've had a few drinks. It's tough on your liver and feels like kind of a waste.

It might sound ridiculous, but socially, I've found having a go-to non-alcoholic drink is helpful. It's reliable and your social circles just understand that is what you'll order when you meet up for a drink. "Diet Coke with a lime" is my go-to, and you put just enough effort into ordering it that no one really questions it. After 2 or 3 times it just becomes commonplace. I gave this tip to my wife who sometimes struggles with the social pressure to order a drink when she doesn't want one and now everyone just knows she will order a ginger ale and doesn't really question it.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 10:09 AM   #3
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfanforever View Post
Lurking the board this morning, and came across a couple posts related to alcohol, so thought I would throw the question out there - has anyone given up booze? And if so, what tactics did you use, or advice do you have?

For a bit of background, I don't have any dependencies, but as I get older it juts doesn't seem as worth it. Having socialized with booze my whole adult life, I am finding it difficult to go sober, and post pandemic socializing a lot, therefore drinking more.

I recently saw some statistics out of the UK that are showing younger generations giving up booze at huge rates. I think you can see this in all of the non-alcoholic drinks hitting the market.

Perhaps it's just me, but feels like society is slowly turning it's back on booze, and I want in.

Tips and tricks much appreciated.
I bet a lot of people who have quit or begun to drink less have just switched to pot.
I wonder how many people are sober sober.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 10:11 AM   #4
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went sober for a few years. I don't have any particular trick. I would just tell people "I don't drink" and that was that. It wasn't generally a big deal, and saying those words relieved any social pressure.

Quitting drinking was also fantastic for my health. I lost weight, felt much less inflamed generally, and it supported a pretty healthy lifestyle.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 10:11 AM   #5
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I bet a lot of people who have quit or begun to drink less have just switched to pot.
Wouldn't shock me if a lot of younger people are quitting because it's just too damn expensive to drink now, especially with the increasing disparity between costs of living and wages.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 10:14 AM   #6
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am 36 and can count on one hand the number of times I've been drunk since 2014. Did not switch to pot, I'm just... sober sober.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 10:14 AM   #7
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Hah.. this is me. With my wife suffering from long covid, neither of us drink much. If she has more than a glass of wine she has a flair of symptoms, so I just kind of stopped as well. In truth I had a really bad hangover like 2 years ago and I just didn't want to feel like that anymore, so I really tapered off drinking.

NA beers are generally pretty terrible, there is something missing in the body of the drink that can't be replaced. But Phillips Iota is pretty good I have to say (local for me too). In the summer I also really like having a shrub.

I like the cannabis drinks that are like 3.5mg because I can have a few and be social and not get instantly stoned.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:15 AM   #8
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Good for you!

I quit drinking this year and my life has improved immeasurably.

If you're struggling and want some good advice or a bit of an online support community, I highly recommend the Reddit sub - /stopdrinking
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:15 AM   #9
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Wouldn't shock me if a lot of younger people are quitting because it's just too damn expensive to drink now, especially with the increasing disparity between costs of living and wages.
not just younger people.
I like to drink and am going to continue to drink.
but I hardly drink anymore and the sole reason is money as I simply can't afford it. Any extra money I would have spent on booze is easily spent on groceries.

Once in a while the guys will buy me a few and once in a blue moon I get a case of PC brand beer for $13.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:17 AM   #10
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I am 36 and can count on one hand the number of times I've been drunk since 2014. Did not switch to pot, I'm just... sober sober.
that's cool.

It just bugs me when people rail on about the evils of drinking while sitting there stoned out of their head.

To me, if you say you're sober, it means you don't take any drugs. not just alcohol.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:26 AM   #11
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The negative health effects of alcohol are profound. It's a far cry from sobriety, but if you want something cheaper and way healthier, than weed is a great choice.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:27 AM   #12
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been sober for 25 years now. Living in the US for a year with all that cheap liquor almost killed me.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:32 AM   #13
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been reducing how much I drink the last 9ish months. I didn't like how over 2020 I slide in more casual weekday beers when I didn't really drink week days before. I've been on a tour of near beers and found some I like, that almost do it, and some I don't like as much. Those have been helpful. I decided to Dry January, mostly to prove to myself that I can do it, and I sort of hate how much better I feel and am sleeping. I'd never really drink to the point of being hella drunk/wasted anymore, but still.

I was at my parents last weekend and they had wine for dinner, that was probably the hardest test I've this month. But I did it

EDIT: CBC did an article on this the other day
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:33 AM   #14
Just a guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I also have stopped for about 25 years. Just felt one day that it wasn't worth it and stopped. There have been many occasions where there was pressure to do so, especially in international work environments, but I would just say that I don't drink. It is much better received these days then 25 years ago.

My tip is just be true to yourself. It is okay to have a drink occasionally, but you will find the desire goes away fairly quickly once you get out of the routine of drinking.
Just a guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just a guy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 10:35 AM   #15
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a good time to start thinking about it if you live in BC. As of April 1st, 2023, the liquor tax on alcohol is going up to 50%.

I don't think it's a good thing to be honest. Alcoholics are not going to stop, it is just going to make them poorer.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:40 AM   #16
Just a guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It's a good time to start thinking about it if you live in BC. As of April 1st, 2023, the liquor tax on alcohol is going up to 50%.

I don't think it's a good thing to be honest. Alcoholics are not going to stop, it is just going to make them poorer.
Agree that if you are at the alcoholic stage, then you likely need support to quit.
Just a guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:42 AM   #17
Spuds_Buckley
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
Good for you!

I quit drinking this year and my life has improved immeasurably.

If you're struggling and want some good advice or a bit of an online support community, I highly recommend the Reddit sub - /stopdrinking
I quit drinking about 3 months ago and no regrets. You may not have a dependency now, but as time goes on many drinkers do.

The Reddit sub above is great, would definitely recommend as well. I would also recommend reading the book "This Naked Mind" by Annie Grace.
Spuds_Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds_Buckley For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 10:44 AM   #18
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you don't have a dependency then just... don't drink. I'm not being facetious here, but if you don't want to drink then when you go out with friends, just drink something non-alcoholic. Pop or diet pop, iced tea, coffee, tea, non-alcoholic cocktails, or non-alcoholic beer.

As for ways to motivate giving it up, I will routinely cut out alcohol completely when I have fitness goals I'm trying to hit. If you're physically active or trying to be, you could use that as your justification.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 10:50 AM   #19
Texas
Farm Team Player

Exp:

If you are considering giving up alcohol, I would encourage you to watch this. Not preachy, but just sobering from the facts.

I've never been a big drinker, but it has always impacted my mood the next day negatively, so I would go in these months-long alcohol "pauses". I finally realized why call it a pause, and just stop all together. The 30 minute buzz is not worth it for me personally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkS1pkKpILY

Last edited by Texas; 01-17-2023 at 10:56 AM.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:57 AM   #20
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

I will be sober 6 years on February 2nd. Did not switch to weed, which I also used to partake heavily in. Definite addiction issues here, and addiction can latch onto anything. Simply quitting drinking won't suffice if you have addiction problems.
MillerTime GFG is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post: