Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Local Laptop Supply...

Looking for a local laptop supplier.

I want / need a new one for work and would like to get Win 7 OS.

However because of the software I need for work I have been told I need a 32 bit version of Win 7.

Where can I go to get one of these.

Everything I have seen is either Win 7 Home version or 64 Bit Pro...
Old 07-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

32-bit Windows 7... what a waste
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I believe the Windows key is valid for either 32 bit or 64 bit installations.

So if the machine comes with the 64 bit version you can use the same key to install the 32 bit version on the machine.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions
Quote:
Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or from a 64-bit version of Windows 7 to a 32-bit version of Windows?

You can use the Upgrade option during Windows 7 installation, which preserves your files, settings, and programs, only if you're currently running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista and you want to upgrade to the 32-bit version of Windows 7. Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, you can only perform an upgrade to a 64-bit version of Windows 7. For more information, go to Upgrading to Windows 7: frequently asked questions on the Windows website.

If you want to move from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or vice versa, you'll need to back up your files and choose the Custom option during Windows 7 installation. Then, you'll need to restore your files and reinstall your programs. For more information about performing a custom installation, see Installing and reinstalling Windows 7#.

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-21-2011 at 09:26 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
GoFlamesGo89
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We have the same issue and have solved it by using virtual machines. Most computers are powerful to run a decent virtual machine these days, so we run a 32-bit OS under the main 64-bit. I believe windows 7 has virtualization built-in (may need one of the more expensive versions though, not sure).
GoFlamesGo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Why not just buy a laptop with no operating system and buy a Windows 7 key separately? I got one from someone on this forum for $25 when I posted for one. Keys and install CDs (you can download right from Microsoft) are for both 32 and 64-bit. It's up to you which one to install. If you are not sure, you don't even need a key to install and use Win7. You can install any version and use it for 30 days before it asks you for a key.

Buying OEM/Retail Win 7 or just a Win 7 key will allow you to install either 32 or 64 bit at will.

I avoid buying laptops in retail stores because you are forced to go with the hardware they have picked out and the OS they have installed. I've posted about this before but I just buy customized laptops online unless there is a really good sale in town. What is your price range?

As far as virtual machines go, yeah they are great but may not be intuitive for the average user. On my Windows 7 laptop I have Windows Server 2008, WinXP SP3, Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server, etc. all installed as virtual machines. You will need a lot of ram and a powerful i5 or i7 notebook CPU however.

I buy my laptops from http://www.fortnaxnotebooks.com/ which is run by a guy in Calgary but the laptop is customized and shipped from the US. I bought mine with no OS.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 07-21-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My Range is $ 1000 - 1500.00.

I will be using it for personal use as well so I would like the latest & greatest so to speak... Graphics / bigger HD etc...

Apparently I need the 32 bit to run my AB & other Control programming software.

I have been happily running with XP Pro for the last few years but want to upgrade.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
My Range is $ 1000 - 1500.00.

I will be using it for personal use as well so I would like the latest & greatest so to speak... Graphics / bigger HD etc...

Apparently I need the 32 bit to run my AB & other Control programming software.

I have been happily running with XP Pro for the last few years but want to upgrade.
You won't regret going to Windows 7.

I'm not sure if this will work but you could dual boot and have both Win7 32-bit and Win7 64-bit installed and just switch to the other one when you goto work. Since it's the same hardware, you might be able to use the same key twice and the key will work for either 32 or 64 bit installation...Or just use a virtual machine as pointed out above.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would probably go with a single install of a 32 bit system.

It is a work laptop that makes me money so it has to be reliable in that sense.

I can live with 32 bit performance for my personal stuff.

So ... Any local shops that can do this for me or should I just look online ??

I have been happy with Toshiba's and HP laptops in the past...
Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give me the $1500 and I'll get it up and running in no time.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
fleudian
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Go to Memory Express (they have a few locations in town). The staff know what they're doing, they can set you up just the way you need. For $1000-1500 you can get a very nice machine.
Store locations
Personally, I recommend Asus brand laptops.
fleudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleudian View Post
Go to Memory Express (they have a few locations in town). The staff know what they're doing, they can set you up just the way you need. For $1000-1500 you can get a very nice machine.
Store locations
Personally, I recommend Asus brand laptops.
Buying a high end laptop and Windows 7 from Memory Express will be more expensive than buying one online and you have limited choice but if you value retail customer service and easy returns, etc, that would be a decent choice.

For one thing I would never buy an operating system with a computer and just buy one myself separately as you can get Windows 7 for very cheap if you just buy a key and download the ISO from Microsoft.

As long as the laptop provided for you has the Windows 7 key included on it (usually always a sticker on the bottom of the laptop), even if it has been preinstalled as 64-bit, it should be possible to format the drive and use a 32-bit install CD and the same key. I have a 32-bit Windows 7 CD if you need but you can also just download it from Microsoft.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 07-21-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #12
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

SO for example...
this Toshiba :

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...32001(ME).aspx

I assume will have Win 7 64 bit installed.

How much approx would mem express charge me to re-install as a 32 bit.

Or is it easy to do on my own ?

I can call them but wanted to check the masses here first...
Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #13
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Easy to do on your own, but you will need to find a 32 bit Windows 7 Pro install disc.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Are you absolutely certain the software will not run on a 64 bit Win7 system? 32bit compatibility is very good and seamless, it's rare that a program can't be made to work.

Finding a 32bit ISO is not hard, just Google windows 7 home premium 32bit iso but be careful, there are modified versions out there.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #15
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Friends don't let friends buy Toshiba. Their current lineup is dreadful in my experience. Shipping machines with hard hanging BIOS bugs out of the box is something you should basically never see anymore. Chipsets, BIOS, system buses, etc, are commodity items these days and somewhere along the line Toshiba still manages to screw it up..
Old 07-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #16
fleudian
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Buying a high end laptop and Windows 7 from Memory Express will be more expensive than buying one online and you have limited choice but if you value retail customer service and easy returns, etc, that would be a decent choice.
I saved a couple hundred bucks when I got my machine there, as they will price-match online retailers.
fleudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #17
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
SO for example...
this Toshiba :

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...32001(ME).aspx

I assume will have Win 7 64 bit installed.

How much approx would mem express charge me to re-install as a 32 bit.

Or is it easy to do on my own ?

I can call them but wanted to check the masses here first...
This is Windows 7 32-bit directly from the Microsoft servers.

http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65732.iso

Do you know how to mount an ISO and burn it to a DVD? You just need to burn this image and the disc will be a Win7 32-bit disc.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #18
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks Hack,

I'm off to the US for few weeks come monday and my search will step up after that. If I don't find a good deal in Indiana.

Thanks everyone for the advice...