Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #1
Loyal and True
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Don't you dare trade Sam Bennett.

I don't post often these days but I am very concerned with sentiment heard on radio (once in awhile) regarding hypothetical trade of Bennett (plus picks etc) to acquire a Mark-Stone-UFA-type rental.

This would be a huge mistake!

Bennett is 22 and an RFA. As a left shot winger he is obviously behind Gaudreau and Tkachuk on the depth chart. Does that make him a bust 4th overall pick? Hell no. Flames are blessed to have Johnny and Matthew, and having Bennett as 3rd LW (perhaps 2nd line RW)is a huge asset long term.

True, Bennett has not developed as rapidly as other top picks, but he has had quality young assets on his team that needed their share of opportunity.

No need to rehash reasons why he is where he is on the depth chart. The fact is, he is now finding his role on a cup contending team (yes they are).

October was not good for Mr. Bennett. Then Nov 1 came and Janko gets run over by Ian Cole, and Sammy finds his niche. 17 PIM later and look what you have.

In 43GP since, Sammy has 9G 11A and 20 points and 56 PIM (edit- excluding 17 PIM above) which are usually the good kind of PIM. That is almost 20G and 40P pace over 82 games plus the hard hitting, drop the gloves, stand up for teammates guy this team needs long term. Mix in the occasional iconic mustache and I don't know what else to say.

Nevermind whether he has another 4 goal game or hits 40 goals in a season like some people hoped. This guy is a playoff performer and you don't want to throw this away for a single playoff run in 2019.

Just Don't Do It.

Last edited by Loyal and True; 02-19-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Loyal and True is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 76 Users Say Thank You to Loyal and True For This Useful Post:
#22, ---Hatrick---, 4X4, Allos, ASP#26525, automaton 3, Azhouse, belsarius, BeltlineFan, bigrangy, Boblobla, Bunk, Burner, Chingas, ComixZone, cral12, danny darko, DaQwiz, DazzlinDino, DeluxeMoustache, Dion, dissentowner, DuffMan, Fire, FlamesNation23, FlatLandFlamesFan, Francis's Hairpiece, Gaskal, Glassplat, GoFlamesGo, GranteedEV, GreenHardHat, Groot, Hey Connor, It's Mess, Iceman57, jeffporfirio, JohnnyTitan, Jore, kbvall, KevanGuy, KipperFaNaTic, kkaleR, Love, midniteowl, Mightyfire89, Mitt31, MonsieurFish, MrMike, Nehkara, Nyah, OldDutch, OldSam, Phaneuf_Phan, Plett25, pope04, redflamesfan08, Rickbo, Scroopy Noopers, sekimet, shadowlord, SmoggyFlamesFan, SnipeShow, Snuffleupagus, SOMBRI2, Split98, Stillman16, Superfraggle, Teroy, Thor, Torchdemall, UKflames, Vinny01, wired, Wolfman, Yobbo, Yrebmi
Old 02-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #2
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope the Flames keep Bennett but everyone is available for the right price. Even Chucky who will become available if his asking price is too high.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed I hope they lock up Sam to a respectable long term deal this summer and he breaks out like Lindholm and the contract is a pure steal. That is how teams win cups
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 11:42 AM   #4
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Treliving clearly loves Bennett.

I think Peters likes him too.

Rest easy OP. I doubt he's going anywhere.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett has the potential to bring the edge I think the Flames need to make any noise in the playoffs

I also really hope he's on this roster in March
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #6
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

The Flames would be nuts to trade Bennett. He's exactly the kind of player you need for the playoffs. He still needs to work on his consistency and confidence, but he's taken over several games this year.

If anything, the Flames should be looking to acquire another Bennett-like player.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 12:20 PM   #7
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Brodie + Bennett + Jankowski

Duchene + Stone
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #8
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

Duchene + Stone
Old 02-19-2019, 12:30 PM   #9
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

Duchene + Stone
Where to begin?

1. That would not get it done.

2. Even if it did it doesn't work cap wise now or going forward.

3. Unless we win the Cup we just lost three good assets for nothing.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 12:50 PM   #10
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i think the other thing we have to think about with trades is "how does losing (insert players name here) impact locker room chemistry"

yes, the flames currently have warts, but if you make a trade that moves out two or three guys, you are changing the team chemistry and to me that is the hardest part about a GM making a trade at this time of year.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:04 PM   #11
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Seems like Treliving sees Bennett as a core player. I doubt he’s going anywhere.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #12
Camronius
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ok, I won't.
Camronius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Camronius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #13
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camronius View Post
Ok, I won't.
Hear hear. Me neither. Brad Treliving on the other hand...
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:11 PM   #14
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Some excellent points, OP. I go back and forth on Bennett, seemingly on a game-to-game basis sometimes, and it is good to take a step back and remember that he is only 22. That ridiculous mustache must have aged him in my mind.

I think you are right. Trading him at this point would be hasty, especially as we would be selling at a lower point. Better to wait it out, and see how he develops over then next 2-3 seasons. At present, the team should be able to sign a relatively friendly RFA extension. Say, 3 years @ $3.0-3.5M a season?

I'd love to add Stone, even for the short run, but not at the expense of Bennett. Brodie, Dube & this year's 1st?
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #15
Loyal and True
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camronius View Post
Ok, I won't.
Promise me that you wouldn't DARE
Loyal and True is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Loyal and True For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #16
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brad Treliving please read?
Old 02-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #17
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal and True View Post
I don't post often these days but I am very concerned with sentiment heard on radio (once in awhile) regarding hypothetical trade of Bennett (plus picks etc) to acquire a Mark-Stone-UFA-type rental.

This would be a huge mistake!

Bennett is 22 and an RFA. As a left shot winger he is obviously behind Gaudreau and Tkachuk on the depth chart. Does that make him a bust 4th overall pick? Hell no. Flames are blessed to have Johnny and Matthew, and having Bennett as 3rd LW (perhaps 2nd line RW)is a huge asset long term.

True, Bennett has not developed as rapidly as other top picks, but he has had quality young assets on his team that needed their share of opportunity.

No need to rehash reasons why he is where he is on the depth chart. The fact is, he is now finding his role on a cup contending team (yes they are).

October was not good for Mr. Bennett. Then Nov 1 came and Janko gets run over by Ian Cole, and Sammy finds his niche. 17 PIM later and look what you have.

In 43GP since, Sammy has 9G 11A and 20 points and 56 PIM (edit- excluding 17 PIM above) which are usually the good kind of PIM. That is almost 20G and 40P pace over 82 games plus the hard hitting, drop the gloves, stand up for teammates guy this team needs long term. Mix in the occasional iconic mustache and I don't know what else to say.

Nevermind whether he has another 4 goal game or hits 40 goals in a season like some people hoped. This guy is a playoff performer and you don't want to throw this away for a single playoff run in 2019.

Just Don't Do It.
This couldn't go into the random thoughts thread? or the trade speculation thread? Not sure why your opinion deserves a new thread. Should we create another thread for why he should be traded?

Some fans don't mind trading him for a Mark Stone type of players. Others like you, don't want to trade him. All of your points have been mentioned tons of times in the trade speculation thread and many others.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:27 PM   #18
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sam Bennett was one of our best forwards in that 2017 first round against the Ducks. He seems to unleash his full power in April.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #19
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bennett's always been a beast in the playoffs since he was 18 year old Sam Bennett. Dude's a prime breakout candidate like Lindholm last year. I'd rather watch him do that here instead of elsewhere, especially considering all the other things he brings to the table
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jore For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 01:46 PM   #20
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

After reading about the cancer thing, it's no surprise he's taking longer to progress.