Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Which Heat Players Make the Big Club?

I am assuming the season actually gets played. Which AHL players do you see making the Flames roster opening day regardless of AHL injuries.

Called Up Opening Day - Regardless of Injuries
Brodie: No question. He was a full time Flame to finish the season and has improved his play over the off season
Baertschi: He was already penciled in to the roster. After his play with the Heat I can't see him not making it.
Horak: I personally thought he would start the season with the Heat. But how can the Flames site merit and not bring him up based on his ridiculous play? I don't think they can.
McCarthy: It was already heavily implied by Hartley that he wanted McCarthy on the Flames roster. He has been very good with the Heat. And the Flames need more size.

Routine Guys - Only for Injury Support:
Aliu: Quick easy call-up
Bouma: See above (when healthy)
Byron: Depends on his play
Nemisz: See above

Occasional Call Ups - Rewards or Excessive Injuries:
Reinhart: I think he will get a few games to help his development. Not more.
Street: I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a couple of games.
Bancks: I think he gets rewarded with a game or two if injuries hit
Walter: Another guy who might get rewarded with a game or two
Piskula: Desperation call-up
Breen: Desperation call-up
Kolanos: Desperation

Last edited by kehatch; 11-04-2012 at 07:53 PM.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Opening Day Roster
Bouma - Bottom line/13th forward
Brodie - Top 6 D
Baertschi - 3rd line
Horak - 3rd line
Irving - Backup goaltender
McCarthy - 7th D

Call ups
Aliu - Could work up to 4th line agitator
Byron - Emergency bottom 6 forward
Nemisz - Emergency bottom 6 forward

Breen - Reserve D
Kolanos - Reserve forward
Piskula - Reserve D
Reinhart - Reserve bottom 6 forward
Old 11-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I think Walter has made a stronger case to be up with the Flames than most people realize. I would put him in the Routine guys for sure.

He certainly needs to be considered before Krys Kolanos who has reminded me of a disinterested Alexi Kovalev this season.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty much agree with Kehatch on who should start with the big club. Thing is i did not think Horak or MCcarthy would make the opening day flames roster a couple of months ago. So now who sits? On D would have to be Smith or Sarich ( or both). On forward Stempniak?
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Pretty much agree with Kehatch on who should start with the big club. Thing is i did not think Horak or MCcarthy would make the opening day flames roster a couple of months ago. So now who sits? On D would have to be Smith or Sarich ( or both). On forward Stempniak?
If those two guys do make the roster things are going to be interesting (if people are healthy). Just as interesting is what is left with the Heat roster.

Breen, Piskula, Callahan, and McKelvie have been the other regulars. Lamb, Tuzzolino, and Martin are also both available. That is a pretty dreadful D even when the NHLers get sucked out of the league. Though Carson may find himself on the roster.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames currently have 47 NHL contracts

McCarthy and Walter would really need to outperform for Feaster to burn contract spots he has intended to save for college free agents
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post

McCarthy and Walter would really need to outperform for Feaster to burn contract spots he has intended to save for college free agents
Walter is already signed to a 2 way contract and counts as one of the 47 contracts.

http://www.capgeek.com/flames/reserve-list/

Last edited by sureLoss; 11-04-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post

Walter already has an NHL 2-way contract. Adding McCarthy still leaves 2 for free agency. And that is assuming other players aren't unloaded / bought out.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Oh and Feaster will also probably want to save a spot on the reserve list for John Ramage.

As it is 4th year in college, signing Ramage to an ELC as soon as his NCAA career is done will cost a reserve spot.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #10
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think most of those players will at least get a shot or 2 at some point whenever play resumes. Last season had to have been the most callups the Flames had ever had in a long time. I'm liking that Feaster is at least giving the prospects a taste and all of them seemed to have fit in quite nicely. I think that's a testament to the job that coaching staff in Abbotsford are doing.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #11
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I think Walter has made a stronger case to be up with the Flames than most people realize. I would put him in the Routine guys for sure.

He certainly needs to be considered before Krys Kolanos who has reminded me of a disinterested Alexi Kovalev this season.
Don't want to derail the thread, but you are spot on.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I find it unlikely that McCarthy would make the Flames. He's certainly nowhere near a lock and IMO isn't as likely to make the roster as many other players. The OP mentions that McCarthy brings size, not sure if we're talking about the same McCarthy but he is very much an average sized defenseman. Breen would add size to the Flames. Yes McCarthy is having a good season so far points wise but that should be expected of a long time pro who was drafted in the first round 13 years ago. I think he has a chance but he shouldn't be anywhere near the Baertschi, Brodie, Horak category IMO.

The Flames defense currently includes Bouwmeester, Giordano, Wideman, Butler, Sarich, Smith and likely Brodie. That leaves Babchuk on the outside looking in and McCarthy not really having a chance to crack that top 7-8 unless a real injury crunch happens.

Almost sure things to make the Flames:
Brodie
Baertschi
Horak

Possibilities:
Aliu
Bouma
Byron
Nemisz

Long shots or severe injury recalls:
Reinhart
Street
Bancks
McCarthy
Breen
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will go with none, just because I don't see a season starting this year.

But with guys coming off the books next year I can see Baertschi, Brodie, Horak, Reinhart and Irving making the team out of camp in 2013/14
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #14
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
I will go with none, just because I don't see a season starting this year.

But with guys coming off the books next year I can see Baertschi, Brodie, Horak, Reinhart and Irving making the team out of camp in 2013/14

The only way i see Irving on the flames for the 2013/2014 season is if Kipper retires or is traded. Sounds like Ramo will be on the flames 2013/2014 for sure.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #15
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
The only way i see Irving on the flames for the 2013/2014 season is if Kipper retires or is traded. Sounds like Ramo will be on the flames 2013/2014 for sure.
I don't expect Kiprusoff back if there is no season. I also think Flames management things higher of Irving than people around here think.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #16
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames have a LOT of trust in Ward's judgment, particularly after his performance as a development coach last year.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #17
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
I don't expect Kiprusoff back if there is no season. I also think Flames management things higher of Irving than people around here think.

I hope you are right about the bolded part because i like Irving. I am just going by what Feaster has said this off season. Feaster pretty much said that had things gone his way, Ramo would have been the back-up to Kipper this season. Irving would have either been traded or left for Europe if that had happenned.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #18
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Opening Day Roster
Bouma - Bottom line/13th forward
Brodie - Top 6 D
Baertschi - 3rd line
Horak - 3rd line
Irving - Backup goaltender
McCarthy - 7th D

Call ups
Aliu - Could work up to 4th line agitator
Byron - Emergency bottom 6 forward
Nemisz - Emergency bottom 6 forward

Breen - Reserve D
Kolanos - Reserve forward
Piskula - Reserve D
Reinhart - Reserve bottom 6 forward
Hopefully the team doesn't look at it like this.

The Flames have wallowed in mediocrity for a long time now, if they want to affect real change, then they need to stop thinking so conservatively.

Why can't Horak and Baertschi be top line forwards (if they deserve it and outplay the older guys in camp)? Brodie could play on your top 2. Let the vets play the lesser minutes and let the kids play the majority, what's the worst that can happen, you miss the playoffs again and your future gets real development time?

I'm confident though, Hartley has shown in the past that he prefers to let youth step up and excel...

Iginla isn't a top line player any more, but on the second/third line, playing against lesser defenders on a regular basis... he'd be lethal.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #19
KOgear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Too many guys to slot.

LW - C - RW

Tanguay - Camellleri - Iginla
Glencross - Cervenka - Hudler
Bartschi - Backlund - Hork
Comeau - Jones - Jackman
Bouma - Stajan - Stempniak
Alui - Byron - Neimez

Bouwmeester - Wideman
Girodano Butler
Brodie - Sarich
Smith - Babchuk
Mccarthy

Kipper - Karlson - Ramo - Irving
KOgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #20
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am going to go out on a limb here and say Sven will play the whole season in the AHL unless injuries get him called up. Far too much forward depth and not enough centers. The most likely candidate would be Horak followed by Brodie. Just a guess of course but there are too many one way contracts and for Sven to get a full time Slot someone will need to be traded i.e Stempniak, Comeau, Jackman, Stajan. Stjan being a Center and with negative trade value I do not see him being dealt.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote