Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Anyone have Sonos?

I'm thinking about getting some kind of Sonos system for my wife for Christmas. I already have a decent system setup in the basement but she always complains she'd like "speakers" on the main floor of the house. With wireless, I know not to expect 9/10 sound quality, but I'm sure it would be fine for her needs. She's pretty non-techie, so even turning on the existing system is a bit challenging for her. I also really don't want to wire another zone from existing one so I thought Sonos might be the answer.

My biggest dilemna really is deciding what way to go. Our main floor is pretty small (townhouse), roughly 550-600 sq.ft. I thought of going with the play 5's, but maybe the play 3's or even 1's might just be good enough?? I also have a couple nice, old 80's vintage Polks (monitor 5's) that I thought I could use. They're good sounding little speakers and all I guess I'd need is the connect amp. The thing with that though is that little amp is $600. I could get a couple Play 1's for less or for only $60 more, have a couple Play 3's. Also would have hard wired speakers.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has Sonos and how do you like it? Considering my situation, what setup would you go with?
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #2
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bought two Play 1's. One for the bedroom and one for the living room. They are really powerful little speakers.

Sound is awesome and I love using the app (especially with Songza and GooglePlay integration).

Looking to keep adding to my system with a 3 and maybe even a 5 at some point, but there are no issues with the sound strength of the 1. Strongly recommend.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
maverickstruth
Backup Goalie

Exp:

We got started with Sonos last year for Christmas, and absolutely love it.

It sounds like our situation is similar to yours; we have a townhouse with about the same main floor square footage. What we ended up with is a Playbar and a Play 3 on the main floor, and then another Play 3 upstairs.

Originally we'd thought to use the Play 3s for surround speakers, but decided to spread them out across multiple zones since it was more than enough coverage. You definitely would be fine with a 3 for your main floor; I often just have that on (usually turned almost all the way down!) and no problems.
maverickstruth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maverickstruth For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good info guys, thanks.

I'm thinking a pair of Play 1's might do the trick and then add whatever down the road. Maybe add a "Connect" to my existing system as well. If I'm using a CD player connected to existing system, would the "Connect" allow that source to be transmitted to the Play 1's upstairs?

Edit...Just looking at the connect manual on Sonos web site. Apparently it will transmit external sources as well. Awesome!

Last edited by Buzzard; 11-23-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
The_Penguin
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I have a single play 3, would like to upgrade it to 2 for better stereo separation in the living room. Quite happy though, it's a great system, albeit pricey.

A family member has a couple of Sonos connect amps he got for a good price on Kijiji, and in-ceiling speakers, they sound great.
The_Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Love my sonos system. I have a play 5 to cover the kitchen and living room. It gives out good sound but I think I will move to ceiling speakers and a sub eventually. The play 5 is very directional with its sound...it doesn't really fill the rooms with sound. I don't like to know where the music is coming from or have to change where I'm sitting to get the best sound...a great system should allow me to be anywhere in a room and not know where the actual equipment is located and get the best sound.

I have a connect connected to my audioengine computer speakers which are powered and it works great as another zone.

Only issue I really run into is it can't find my music library on my home server at times. I have to setup my library again when that happens. Sonos techs couldn't figure it out.

If you are thinking about getting the sonos soundbar be aware that it does not support DTS audio.

Before sonos my wife never really listened to music in the house but now she does all the time because of how easy it is. I find myself listening to more things than I did when I had an iPod dock.

My suggestion is to buy and try from best buy or future shop. Take advantage of their return policy to make sure you get the right solution.

Last edited by J Diddy; 11-23-2014 at 08:15 PM.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J Diddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How do they work for extending wifi range? I have an extender, but it's a PITA as we have a second SSID for the North end of the main floor.
I almost bought some a while back with the intention of using them as wifi extension and a secondary zone for my basement home theatre. Anyone remember if they had any crazy Boxing Day specials or know if there are Black Friday deals worth scoping ?
Old 11-24-2014, 06:54 AM   #8
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

We have SONOS and love it. The sound is awesome.

I would go with a Play 5 if you can. They are the best sounding speakers. We have a Play1 in our kitchen, and I kind of wish it was the Play3, as while the 1 gives good sound, it is not as near as rich as the Play5 (or likely the 3).
I think from my research, one Play5 is better than two Play3's in the same room. If you can afford two Play5's in one room, then you can set them up as left and right speakers and get some of the best sound you can get.

The main reason to go SONOS and pay the price is the ease of use and the ability to have different zones. We have an older house, so we can have different music in each room and they don't interfere. I still hope to get another Play1 for our bathroom and maybe a Play5 for our master bedroom.

As for CD's, that is very oldschool. With SONOS you will get a year free of Deezer, which is an online music streaming service. It will likely have every CD you own plus a million more and has the best sound of the streaming services. Also sign up for Songza (free), the sound is ok, but great for when you are not sure what you want to listen to. Your wife and you will control everything from your phones and/or iPads.

Last edited by Flames89; 11-24-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:01 AM   #9
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jahrmes View Post
How do they work for extending wifi range? I have an extender, but it's a PITA as we have a second SSID for the North end of the main floor.
I almost bought some a while back with the intention of using them as wifi extension and a secondary zone for my basement home theatre. Anyone remember if they had any crazy Boxing Day specials or know if there are Black Friday deals worth scoping ?
I am surprised your wifi doesn't reach though the whole townhouse. Maybe look at getting a better router or relocate it?
Pretty sure SONOS rarely goes on sale. It is a premium product.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:16 PM   #10
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does anyone know if these will be going on sale anywhere for Black Friday/Cyber Monday? I have been considering getting a 5 for awhile.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #11
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Does anyone know if these will be going on sale anywhere for Black Friday/Cyber Monday? I have been considering getting a 5 for awhile.
amazon is having a promo on right now....

http://www.amazon.ca/b?node=10188627011

the american one is better as you get credit to amazon but they pretty much never go on sale.

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node...-20&ascsubtag=
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cSpooge For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2014, 10:05 PM   #12
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll throw my $.02 in. I have a play 5 and a 3. The 5's are nice because they have an audio input. I have an airport express plugged in so i can stream from my phone to the express and it plays through my sonos. Overall, very happy with the system and sound.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:36 AM   #13
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
I am surprised your wifi doesn't reach though the whole townhouse. Maybe look at getting a better router or relocate it?

Pretty sure SONOS rarely goes on sale. It is a premium product.

Don't live in a townhouse, and it is centrally located in the basement. Lots of walls messing with my mojo I suppose. Sonos speakers do act as wifi extenders though correct?
Old 11-26-2014, 06:29 AM   #14
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I'll throw my $.02 in. I have a play 5 and a 3. The 5's are nice because they have an audio input. I have an airport express plugged in so i can stream from my phone to the express and it plays through my sonos. Overall, very happy with the system and sound.
You can stream from your phone to sonos regardless. It is all connected through the sonos base station.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:30 AM   #15
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jahrmes View Post
Don't live in a townhouse, and it is centrally located in the basement. Lots of walls messing with my mojo I suppose. Sonos speakers do act as wifi extenders though correct?
The sonos bridge does. So if you router is in the basement, the bridge on the main floor will essentially act as a second router for the Sonos equipment, thereby extending it.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #16
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
You can stream from your phone to sonos regardless. It is all connected through the sonos base station.
Without an airport express how do you send YouTube or siriusxm shows on demand (which the sonos app doesn't have) or anything else you are playing outside the sonos app to the sonos system? They don't have any native airplay support.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:08 AM   #17
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ah, right. I was thinking of music on your phone. Not streaming from internet through your phone, through SONOS.
I am surprised SONOS doesn't have a built in sirius controller yet, as they do with Deezer, Songza, Soundcloud, etc.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:08 AM   #18
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The sonos bridge does. So if you router is in the basement, the bridge on the main floor will essentially act as a second router for the Sonos equipment, thereby extending it.
The bridge will only talk to sonos devices using sonosnet. You can't use it to extend wireless to a laptop or tablet.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #19
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
The bridge will only talk to sonos devices using sonosnet. You can't use it to extend wireless to a laptop or tablet.
No, but it extends the wireless to the SONOS speaker you want to have in your back bedroom or whathaveyou
Old 11-26-2014, 11:30 AM   #20
The_Penguin
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpooge View Post
amazon is having a promo on right now....

http://www.amazon.ca/b?node=10188627011

the american one is better as you get credit to amazon but they pretty much never go on sale.

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node...-20&ascsubtag=
Looks like the same price as BestBuy, Future Shop etc.
The_Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote