Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
JohnnyHowDoO'duya
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default I dont mean to be a grinch, but ...

Look, I understand there are some very worthwhile causes for us to donate time and money too but am I the only one sick of the bombardment at this time of year?

between the radio telethons and the never ending phone calls, its making me crazy.

We have a rule in the house, no matter how good a cause or how good a deal, we will not buy or donate anything from unsolicited knocks on the door or ring of the phone.

We give to charity all year long, we don't wait for Christmas to do it and we do it through established channels, not when we get asked on the phone.

I am not saying these organizations don't serve a very important role in filling gaps for those in need but I am sick and tired of the constant bombardment.

Clearly it must work for them, just like it works for other telemarketing organizations and Nigerian scammers because if it didn't, they would find other means.

Anyhow, maybe its a rant only shared by myself but enough is enough.

Also, lets not wait until Christmas to support those in need, Mary and her kids don't just need a Jacket in December, they need shoes in June too.

Give all year, don't wait for Christmas and to those organizations who are making phone solicitations, and if you are going to bother me, can you at least not be an assembly line with your automated dialers and voice recordings?
JohnnyHowDoO'duya is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyHowDoO'duya For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't forget that sometime between now and probably.. Dec 23rd I am guessing, a charity will be allegedly ripped off of some small amount of money, toys, or food and a whole whack load of donations will come in to replace it all a thousand times over after the story is run in every media outlet in Calgary.

I am sure there are legitimate thefts, but this is becoming like clock work in Calgary. I find it hard not to be skeptical when every year Salvation Army Santa guy has his donation pail stolen.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does it grind your gears?

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
JohnnyHowDoO'duya
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Does it grind your gears?
I suppose it does? Whats up?
Old 12-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHowDoO'duya View Post
I suppose it does? Whats up?
Woosh!
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
JohnnyHowDoO'duya
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Woosh!
Clearly!!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

I agree with your rant but it would belong here:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=90831

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Clearly!!
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=90831

Whoops. Beaten by seconds.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I look at these things differently. I'm absolutely not referring to the OP but I find when people say they donate all year long so they don't donate for unsolicited requests, they may not donate to charity at all. We donate all year long, and also give to charities when people show up at my door for causes I support. We have also canvassed for a couple of those charities (cancer foundation and heart-disease research, I think it was).

My wife and I have lost three parents to dreaded cancer so we donate to cancer research. When the cancer lady, and similar people show up at my door, I give them 20 bucks. I donate to the United Way, to Christian missions work, to our church, often for cancer research and to local school projects because schools are under funded. At this time of year, we donate to the food bank, Santa's Anonymous and certain others.

We feel this stuff is very important. We may not have Champion's income or lifestyle but we're fortunate to be blessed with more than we need and feel privileged to be able to share some with others who are less fortunate. These charities would be in a big pickle if not for generous givers.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I look at these things differently. I'm absolutely not referring to the OP but I find when people say they donate all year long so they don't donate for unsolicited requests, they may not donate to charity at all. We donate all year long, and also give to charities when people show up at my door for causes I support. We have also canvassed for a couple of those charities (cancer foundation and heart-disease research, I think it was).

My wife and I have lost three parents to dreaded cancer so we donate to cancer research. When the cancer lady, and similar people show up at my door, I give them 20 bucks. I donate to the United Way, to Christian missions work, to our church, often for cancer research and to local school projects because schools are under funded. At this time of year, we donate to the food bank, Santa's Anonymous and certain others.

We feel this stuff is very important. We may not have Champion's income or lifestyle but we're fortunate to be blessed with more than we need and feel privileged to be able to share some with others who are less fortunate. These charities would be in a big pickle if not for generous givers.
That's all true, but not the whole story.

I have our monthly donations to our preferred organizations coming out of our bank account via direct deposit every month on the first. I feel that allows me to:
1) Pick the charities I think do the most good
2) Allow for the most amount of my money to get to the actual "cause," since none of it is going to pay canvassers/telemarketers/mailouts/fundraising overhead, etc.
3) Allow the charity to have a more consistent income they can budget to, instead of worrying every month how the most recent campaign is going

I think by doing that I end up giving more than the "$20 every time someone comes to the door" crowd, and it gets used more efficiently. My two cents only, since obviously charities are able to raise money that way or they wouldn't do it.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
JohnnyHowDoO'duya
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post

Fair enough and your community including myself thanks you for your contributions.

I don't contribute at the door because there are far too many scammers. We set aside money every month for charity and as opportunities come up to donate, we do.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #12
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I give a small portion of my paycheck to the organizations I support. If I could afford more, likely I would just increase those contributions.

The only thing that gets my money that isn't part of that, is the $20 I drop for poppies.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #13
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I give donations right off of my paycheck, but I will always give anyone who comes to my door $20. Charities that is, religious folks I chase off at gunpoint. I think canvassing for charities has got to be a tough job, so I give to them. The only thing I don't do these days, is fill out personal info for tax receipts or anything else. I just make sure they have ID and give them the money.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:19 AM   #14
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

People just seem to be more into "giving" at this time of year. They are more generous with charitable organizations in December than any other time of the year. So the charities have to take advantage of that largess. And I don't begrudge them whatever means they need to raise funds for a good cause. I'd put "being asked for donations to charity" about 975th on my list of things that annoy me about the Christmas season.

The constant BUY, BUY, BUY!!!! begging by the STORES is far more annoying in my book. I wish the season was more about giving to the less fortunate rather than giving to ourselves and our immediate family.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #15
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Look, I understand there are some very worthwhile causes for us to donate time and money too but am I the only one sick of the bombardment at this time of year?

between the radio telethons and the never ending phone calls, its making me crazy.

We have a rule in the house, no matter how good a cause or how good a deal, we will not buy or donate anything from unsolicited knocks on the door or ring of the phone.

We give to charity all year long, we don't wait for Christmas to do it and we do it through established channels, not when we get asked on the phone.

I am not saying these organizations don't serve a very important role in filling gaps for those in need but I am sick and tired of the constant bombardment.

Clearly it must work for them, just like it works for other telemarketing organizations and Nigerian scammers because if it didn't, they would find other means.

Anyhow, maybe its a rant only shared by myself but enough is enough.

Also, lets not wait until Christmas to support those in need, Mary and her kids don't just need a Jacket in December, they need shoes in June too.

Give all year, don't wait for Christmas and to those organizations who are making phone solicitations, and if you are going to bother me, can you at least not be an assembly line with your automated dialers and voice recordings?
And yet you're championing all sorts of largesse towards the NHLPA this time of year.

Move to the country. We almost never get anyone knocking on our door. Only the occasional religious folk. And with caller ID, we almost never pick up the phone if we don't recognize the number.

Problem solved.

It's probably not an exaggeration to say I put in some hundreds of hours through the year volunteering for a particular non-profit, including the use of regular work hours, as well as donating cash to other charities.

"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" - Bugs Bunny.

Cowperson
Old 12-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #16
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Seeing as how the 'quick question' thread is toast I'm going to take a flyer and ask here ....

Anyone have any idea where to buy a Christmas tie in Vancouver? So far I've checked The Bay, Zellers, typical mall stores, and various Christmas pop-up stores. No luck.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #17
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dollar store. They seem to always have them.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #18
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
Seeing as how the 'quick question' thread is toast I'm going to take a flyer and ask here ....

Anyone have any idea where to buy a Christmas tie in Vancouver? So far I've checked The Bay, Zellers, typical mall stores, and various Christmas pop-up stores. No luck.
I bought some lame comedy ones at WalMart.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote