Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2024, 01:37 PM   #9661
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Saw My Penguin Friend at the cheap theater yesterday. Good little movie. Great for $5.

About a Penguin that got kind of lost on some sort of migration and ended up at this dude's place in Brazil. The guy became friends with the penguin and the penguin came back to him for 6 months every year for several years. Makes we want my own penguin.
What in the....are you just hiding in a movie theater? Who hurt you?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 01:41 PM   #9662
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I think they were talking more about how before the movie even ended they put it in the corner on a small screen and had a giant ad for Big Bang Theory as the main component
This is why all movies go on my Plex server, even if I already have access to them through Netflix or Disney+. Higher quality uncompressed 4K, vastly superior user interface, and no bull#### advertisements. Plex really is the only way to go if you want the full quality of Blu-Ray with the convenience of streaming
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2024, 01:45 PM   #9663
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
It will be a garage penguin
At least it would have a lake to swim in.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 04:34 PM   #9664
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something I've noticed across all streaming services too is the fades to black do an extra frame dip to true black before seemingly cutting back to the footage and a more faded black. It's super distracting and annoying to me.
Old 09-24-2024, 07:20 PM   #9665
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Speak No Evil is fun because the family's reactions to the escalating madness is like they threw some normies from the theater audience into the film.

A horror Home Alone of sorts. McAvoy plays the psychopath like no other. Absolute legend.
I also saw Speak No Evil. Agree, McAvoy nails it. Good acting all around in this one. Found the pacing a little off..The storey left my eyes rolling a little with the way it all unfolded.

The message is that the real horror is being married to a total beta cream puff.
Old 09-24-2024, 07:59 PM   #9666
scotty2hotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
This is why all movies go on my Plex server, even if I already have access to them through Netflix or Disney+. Higher quality uncompressed 4K, vastly superior user interface, and no bull#### advertisements. Plex really is the only way to go if you want the full quality of Blu-Ray with the convenience of streaming
I still don’t understand the point of Plex or how it works.

I fear I have reached the age of ‘too old for new technology’.
Old 09-24-2024, 08:25 PM   #9667
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
I still don’t understand the point of Plex or how it works.

I fear I have reached the age of ‘too old for new technology’.
I don't know if it's an age thing. The people I know who have Plex servers, myself included, enjoy setting up computers. It's pretty easy to set up but it takes some dedication beyond just wanting all your media readily available in one place.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 11:31 PM   #9668
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I use Jellyfin to stream from my computer for movies I've downloaded. But I'm also a physical media guy, especially when it comes to 4Ks.

Of course much like vinyl records, they've just exploded in cost with every boutique restoration company putting out collector editions I try and stay away from so I don't go bankrupt.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2024, 12:24 AM   #9669
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Transformers One was fun, although more on the bland side.

I think I fell asleep for between five and 20 minutes, and when I asked the person I went with afterwards what I missed, she was like "the blue guy arrived and...I don't know" so I suspect they weren't that into it.

I've seen a number of origin stories centered around Optimus and Megatron's beginnings told through various mediums. This was not my favourite. Even so, 3/5.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2024, 06:47 AM   #9670
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsAnOutrage View Post
I also saw Speak No Evil. Agree, McAvoy nails it. Good acting all around in this one. Found the pacing a little off..The storey left my eyes rolling a little with the way it all unfolded.

The message is that the real horror is being married to a total beta cream puff.
I suggest you watch the original if you liked this remake. It's essentially the same move but without the Hollywood ending. I think the remake did some things better
Spoiler!
but the original was much more creepy, atmospheric, and tense with with a more fitting ending.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2024, 07:52 AM   #9671
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I use Jellyfin to stream from my computer for movies I've downloaded. But I'm also a physical media guy, especially when it comes to 4Ks.

Of course much like vinyl records, they've just exploded in cost with every boutique restoration company putting out collector editions I try and stay away from so I don't go bankrupt.
It doesn't help that 4K disks are region free, especially because Europe is putting out some amazing packages. I'm addicted to Second Sight now, everything they put out is a banger. I justify it because I tell myself 4K is the last format I'm buying movies on..... unless 8K becomes a thing
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2024, 12:21 PM   #9672
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay I don't know if it's a change in me or if there was a different cut of the movie that I saw originally, but last night I watched Alien with my roommate for the first time since I saw it the first time 9 years ago. It's one of my favourite movies. But I really didn't enjoy it as much last night and felt I kinda oversold it to be honest. There were parts I totally forgot about or maybe were trimmed shorter in a version I watched before I don't know. It was on Disney+, does anyone know if it's a re-edit from the original?

Anyways, kinda disappointed me. Going to watch Aliens now since I've never actually seen it because I liked the first so much that I didn't want to experience the difference tone of the 2nd.
Old 09-25-2024, 05:23 PM   #9673
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

You are in for a treat. Game over, man.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2024, 07:04 AM   #9674
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
You are in for a treat. Game over, man.
Anyone that's watched the movie knows the reference but it illustrates just how good the casting was in Aliens. Even the bit characters were memorable. When I think back at the movie I still vividly recall the interactions of Hudson, Gorman, Vazquez, etc. I think that's one area where Romulus could have been better.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2024, 08:07 AM   #9675
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Aliens is great, obviously a classic for a reason. I can see why people enjoy it more than the first for sure. "Game over man" a classic line no doubt, but my favourite quote from Paxton was "What do you mean they cut the power?! They're f***ing animals!"
Old 09-26-2024, 08:47 AM   #9676
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Instead of listening to a pug like me, here is one of the greatest directors of all time giving some recommendations and telling great stories for 30 minutes.

Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote