Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2024, 08:06 PM   #241
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
There isn't a single player who does that in baseball. Maybe a pitcher but even then one player doesn't make that much of a marked improvement to a team this bad.
?
Instantly add an additional 40-50 HR and 40-50 SB (equalling a bunch more runs with a guy at second instead of at first, and less hidp), and you don't think that wouldve won the Jays a bunch of April and May games when their pitchers were giving up 3 or less runs but the Jays were getting 5 or less hits and scoring 1 or 2 runs?

Jays have 7 more wins at this point in the year and they would be wildcard 4th place. Nevermind the July sell off, the season was lost in April May and by early June they were done. But sheesh there were at least 7 games that they could've won in that 2.5 month stretch without Ohtani, never mind helicoptering in a player with a historical offensive season.

Last edited by browna; 09-19-2024 at 08:16 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2024, 09:10 PM   #242
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
There isn't a single player who does that in baseball. Maybe a pitcher but even then one player doesn't make that much of a marked improvement to a team this bad.
I mean, they aren't the White Sox either though. Subbing Ohtani for the mix of Turner/kirk/Springer we've gotten in the DH spot would absolutely have been a huge improvement. This team has lost a lot of close games, and even just the 30+ extra homers from the DH slot alone are probably good for like 5 extra wins. Add the steals, the rest of his hits, and giving some protection to Vladdy and I think they'd have the 7 extra wins they'd need to be tied for the last wild card spot.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2024, 09:30 PM   #243
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shohei is already a 7+ WAR player this year. Add 7 wins to the Jays and subtract 7 losses and we are tied for a WC spot.

Not to mention the domino effect that has on the lineup, and the confidence boost they would have started the season with. Add in a loud and full Rogers Center and yeah, they’re in the playoffs
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2024, 10:34 PM   #244
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, and buyers at the deadline for the bullpen injuries to Romano and any other gaps.

That all said, the ship has sailed. However, there is a player with even a larger WAR that's a free agent in 6 weeks or so; he wont pitch nor get 50 sb, but...
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2024, 11:14 PM   #245
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Yup, and buyers at the deadline for the bullpen injuries to Romano and any other gaps.

That all said, the ship has sailed. However, there is a player with even a larger WAR that's a free agent in 6 weeks or so; he wont pitch nor get 50 sb, but...
Yeah. Soto's age is a huge pro as well. He's young enough that he should be at a high level for quite awhile.

Santander would be OK also.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2024, 12:03 AM   #246
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate the Dodgers.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2024, 12:04 AM   #247
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
I haven't followed this MLB season at all.

But holy heck, what happened to the Rangers? I guess their title last year was a fluke after all...
Yeah this is kind of water finding it's level for the Rangers.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2024, 12:05 AM   #248
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I definitely want to try and get to a game where Ohtani pitches. The type of talent that comes around every 100 years.