Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2024, 08:54 PM   #81
fastpuck
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Sounds like he will be fined or banned from IIHF for signing a contract with a sanctioned country Russia.
fastpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 09:00 PM   #82
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpuck View Post
Sounds like he will be fined or banned from IIHF for signing a contract with a sanctioned country Russia.
Does that really matter since Russia is banned from IIHF competitions anyway?
Old 05-28-2024, 09:11 AM   #83
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'll go with at worse average asset management from Conroy at this point.

Worst case a 5th round pick turns into 9 games played for your team, which is a pretty average result. I randomly looked at the 2001 draft for example as one of the more recent drafts where there would certainly be no active 5th round picks left. there were 34 players picked, averaging 83 games, but only 10 of them played more than 1 game. So better result than average quantitatively, worse than average qualitatively. Kind of a push in a round where you are rolling the dice.

Best case, Mark Giordano. Come on down.

Reality remains to be seen, but a sensible risk none the less.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 10:14 AM   #84
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ones of the other things I looked at when this trade was made is that they were adding a player type that they were lacking in their system. Most of the Flames D prospects that we all tend to like are the ones smaller stature, but can skate. I think Conroy saw the need to get someone that played a heavier game. Risk was well worth it. At this point I think it is a bit of a bonus that he is going to develop in the KHL. With the number of Dmen that we have coming down the pipe I think the Flames are going to struggle finding playing time.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 10:43 AM   #85
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

After much consideration, I have decided that this signing is a good thing for me personally. Now I don't have to put any effort in to learning to spell Okhotyuk.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 10:51 AM   #86
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Does that really matter since Russia is banned from IIHF competitions anyway?
It's not that, specifically. It's that CSKA in particular is not allowed to participate in player transfers until 2026 because of the way they handled the Fedotov situation. Fedotov himself his banned for a handful of years from IIHF competition which I think will be extended to Okhotyuk as well. That part seems inconsequential right now due to Russia's overall ban but I think that ban is coming to an end.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2024, 06:18 PM   #87
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Doesn't sound like he will come back.

In this article:
https://www.sports.ru/hockey/1116314...e-xvatalo.html

He says he doesn't like living in the US/ North America and has been asking to go back to Russia for 3 years now. Too many cultural differences.

He said while he was in NJ, every year he tried to leave but the team wouldn't let him.

He also said he didn't get a fair chance and already felt out of place in Calgary.

Last edited by sureLoss; 08-24-2024 at 07:06 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2024, 06:23 PM   #88
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kid wanted to go home. fair enough. Best of luck.

As for the CGY part, he already had his foot out of the door so it didn't really matter what they tried . He got a couple games in and likely found out he was going home anyways and just left it at that.
Old 08-24-2024, 06:55 PM   #89
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Doesn't sound like he will come back.

In this article:
https://www.sports.ru/hockey/1116314...e-xvatalo.html

He says he doesn't like living in the US/ North America and has been asking to come back to Russia for 3 years now. Too many cultural differences.

He said while he was in NJ every year he tried to leave but the team wouldn't let him.

He also said he didn't get a fair chance and already felt out of place in Calgary.
To each their own I guess.

Ovechkin and countless other Russians managed it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2024, 07:00 PM   #90
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

We should file a grievances with the league to get our pick back. If San Jose knew and they probably did that’s bs. Grier continues to be a clown.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2024, 07:03 PM   #91
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
We should file a grievances with the league to get our pick back. If San Jose knew and they probably did that’s bs. Grier continues to be a clown.
I don't think Craig Conroy is a whiney lil bitch. He wouldn't be so petty.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2024, 07:06 PM   #92
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Do svidaniya, Okotoks.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2024, 07:07 PM   #93
Ped
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post

Why? He played out his contract. That's all the right Calgary had to keep him.

And he doesn't want to live in the US; it's entirely possible that Conroy thought living in Canada might be able to sway them. A fifth round pick is really negligible, which meant he didn't much value at all. Maybe this is why.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2024, 07:14 PM   #94
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

No more deals with Oiler jock sniffer Grier.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2024, 07:23 PM   #95
Your Calgary Flames!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
To each their own I guess.

Ovechkin and countless other Russians managed it.
We aren’t all built the same.

Best of luck to him.
Your Calgary Flames! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2024, 08:17 PM   #96
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Why? He played out his contract. That's all the right Calgary had to keep him.

And he doesn't want to live in the US; it's entirely possible that Conroy thought living in Canada might be able to sway them. A fifth round pick is really negligible, which meant he didn't much value at all. Maybe this is why.
Good take on the situation. Kid leaving for Russia at end of year and everyone probably knew it. Give him a try and see for yourself if he changes his mind especially since Canada is different than the USA like you say. Works out, great, if it doesn’t, nothing really lost given the value of a 5th rounder (which can be easily replaced with a trade down). I like the fact they tried it on a kid with upside instead of an expiring ufa. Conroy probably knew the parameters and it was a calculated gamble that doesn’t impact the long term trajectory of the team.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2024, 08:27 PM   #97
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Good take on the situation. Kid leaving for Russia at end of year and everyone probably knew it. Give him a try and see for yourself if he changes his mind especially since Canada is different than the USA like you say. Works out, great, if it doesn’t, nothing really lost given the value of a 5th rounder (which can be easily replaced with a trade down). I like the fact they tried it on a kid with upside instead of an expiring ufa. Conroy probably knew the parameters and it was a calculated gamble that doesn’t impact the long term trajectory of the team.
That, and Conroy acquired how many other defencemen after Okhotyuk? Bean, Bahl, Parekh, ignoring the late picks. There was no guarantee he would get any of those players. The depth chart looks quite different now than it did in March.