Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2024, 10:14 AM   #3461
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
No.

Just change the title to "We apologize hockey gods for angering you"

And then lock the thread

Based on the last three games, I'm convinced that the hockey gods are dead.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 10:51 AM   #3462
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
Based on the last three games, I'm convinced that the hockey gods are dead.

Oh they're not dead. They just hate Flames fans and get a kick out of torturing us. The hockey gods are laughing their asses off right now.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2024, 03:21 PM   #3463
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
No.

Just change the title to "We apologize hockey gods for angering you"

And then lock the thread

Like Oilers went 44-15-5 after this thread was started and are now 1 win from the greatest comeback in NHL (maybe sports) history.

Drastic measures need to be taken and this thread just happens to coincide with the start of it all.
Old 06-22-2024, 04:32 PM   #3464
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Just start a new thread and this one will die off. It’s not gonna affect anything but if it makes people feel better go for it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 04:36 PM   #3465
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

So here's just my personal thoughts on this thread. Far from official by any means.

I've commented in the mod chat since about v3 of this thread it should probably be shut down, as it hasn't been adding anything to the board for a long time. Mostly because it went from normal rivalry banter to everyone trying to be a hack Mike Richards. It didn't make the Board better.

I don't believe in juju or anything, but I do believe that you should try to always push more positive energy out into the universe than negative, and between this thread and the daily OOT threads hate watching the Oilers, there was a lot of negativity coming from the board towards that team up north that went beyond rivalry IMO. I mean during an early round, someone posted about their fans being pigs and offering surprise they knew the words to O Canada. I mean, c'mon. Y'all are better than that.

Combine that with how things have gone down here the past x years, and yeah, a lot of negativity. Does it affect the Flames, Oilers, or anything? Hell no, but it can kinda feel like that Ghostbusters II thing about the river of negative slime under NYC. These threads are that river of slime under CP.

That's a long way to say that it'd be nice if this thread died naturally and there wasn't a replacement for it. And maybe some of the childish nicknames that don't have root in reality anymore for McDavid probably should also go by the wayside.

Listen, I don't have an NFL team, but I tend to watch players I enjoy. Right now, that's Pat Mahomes. Even though I'm ambivalent towards the Chiefs, I just want to watch him play because seeing him do things few other QBs can do, and run Andy Ried's offense in real-time, is a lot of fun on Sundays.
I'm trying to take the same approach with McDavid, MacKinnon, and a few others - but I've really begun to appreciate McDavid's game. He's become a 200-ft player in these playoffs, and saying that he's only in it for his mcpoints and personal glory is pure bs. No reason for this thread, or the OOTs to essentially be NHL flat-earthers repeating things that aren't fact.

Yeah, it's rough, but it's a lot better for mental health since - as my therapist says - we shouldn't worry about things we can't control, and the fact of the matter is the most talented hockey player any of us may ever see is 3 hrs up hwy 2, and we can't control that.
It doesn't make you less of a fan, but I'd posit that if your entire identity around the Flames is more about hating Edmonton, then maybe you should try finding better ways to bring positivity into the universe.

I'm a gay man in my 40's now, I'm supposed to give out advice, either that or I'll just start reading more, since it's fundamental.

Last edited by MRCboicgy; 06-22-2024 at 04:49 PM.
MRCboicgy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2024, 05:04 PM   #3466
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with everything you said but can we at least change ‘Mud’ to ‘Blood’?
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 05:05 PM   #3467
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

If other fans don't want me to call them pigs they shouldn't throw bottles at each other in the Moss pit, or get into dozens of fist fights.

Last edited by White Out 403; 06-22-2024 at 05:45 PM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 05:40 PM   #3468
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't get why we just don't close it and change the name for now.

What reason is there to keep it?
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2024, 06:32 PM   #3469
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

We could call it “Look who’s Oinking”.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 06:54 PM   #3470
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
I agree with everything you said but can we at least change ‘Mud’ to ‘Blood’?
Are you calling the Oilers a bunch of filthy Mudbloods? Well done Malfoy!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 07:00 PM   #3471
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton =

That is all.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2024, 07:13 PM   #3472
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
So here's just my personal thoughts on this thread. Far from official by any means.

I've commented in the mod chat since about v3 of this thread it should probably be shut down, as it hasn't been adding anything to the board for a long time. Mostly because it went from normal rivalry banter to everyone trying to be a hack Mike Richards. It didn't make the Board better.

I don't believe in juju or anything, but I do believe that you should try to always push more positive energy out into the universe than negative, and between this thread and the daily OOT threads hate watching the Oilers, there was a lot of negativity coming from the board towards that team up north that went beyond rivalry IMO. I mean during an early round, someone posted about their fans being pigs and offering surprise they knew the words to O Canada. I mean, c'mon. Y'all are better than that.

Combine that with how things have gone down here the past x years, and yeah, a lot of negativity. Does it affect the Flames, Oilers, or anything? Hell no, but it can kinda feel like that Ghostbusters II thing about the river of negative slime under NYC. These threads are that river of slime under CP.

That's a long way to say that it'd be nice if this thread died naturally and there wasn't a replacement for it. And maybe some of the childish nicknames that don't have root in reality anymore for McDavid probably should also go by the wayside.

Listen, I don't have an NFL team, but I tend to watch players I enjoy. Right now, that's Pat Mahomes. Even though I'm ambivalent towards the Chiefs, I just want to watch him play because seeing him do things few other QBs can do, and run Andy Ried's offense in real-time, is a lot of fun on Sundays.
I'm trying to take the same approach with McDavid, MacKinnon, and a few others - but I've really begun to appreciate McDavid's game. He's become a 200-ft player in these playoffs, and saying that he's only in it for his mcpoints and personal glory is pure bs. No reason for this thread, or the OOTs to essentially be NHL flat-earthers repeating things that aren't fact.

Yeah, it's rough, but it's a lot better for mental health since - as my therapist says - we shouldn't worry about things we can't control, and the fact of the matter is the most talented hockey player any of us may ever see is 3 hrs up hwy 2, and we can't control that.
It doesn't make you less of a fan, but I'd posit that if your entire identity around the Flames is more about hating Edmonton, then maybe you should try finding better ways to bring positivity into the universe.

I'm a gay man in my 40's now, I'm supposed to give out advice, either that or I'll just start reading more, since it's fundamental.
Well thank you for your insights

Sure, a day may come when we dismiss juju and higher forces of evil and roll with the punches.

But it is not this day!

Burn the thread.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post: