Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2024, 10:47 PM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Honestly I ran into the same boat after basically not working for a long time, I had two opportunities suddenly pop up.

On job 1, they moved really quickly, like light speed, I did the first phone interview, then they reached out the second day and asked for an online interview, and then blammo on the day after that they wanted to do a scenario interview. then two days later, they said they really liked me a lot, and wanted to do a conditional offer.

The second one was slower, They did a phone interview, then I head nothing for 10 days then they got back to me, and wanted to do a group interview, then I had nothing for a week.

When I got the conditional from the first one I had to go through the back ground and references, that took a while because I had been self employed, and my references were with clients, and I had to prove I was self employed. But the offer was really good, but I suddenly got the feeling in the pit of my stomach that the background stuff was going to foul it up.

A couple of days after I started the back ground checks on the first one, I got a call from the second one, they made an offer, it wasn't as good as the first, and was a contract position for 12 months. But I told them I had to mull it over for a few days, I wanted to make sure the first one went through before throwing out the second, but I didn't tell the second that. When I cleared the background check on the first one a couple of days later and signed the formal offer, I phoned the second one and told them that I had accepted another offer for permanent employment and they understood.

If the second job was something you wanted to explore, be honest with them, its leverage, tell them that you are in active offer stage and see if you could speed up the process as you have a deadline of whatever many days later on the first.

If they really want you, they will absolutely accelerate the process if you are their ideal target.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 06:38 AM   #22
BigThief
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Take the best offer that work for you in the moment, if a better offer comes along the next day accept that and let the other offer know in a professional manner. Honesty is the best policy sure but you don't owe any of these companies anything. Take comfort in your coldness in knowing they'd do the exact same thing to you.
BigThief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 10:56 AM   #23
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
Honesty always wins. If job #1 is sending you an offer, you can tell them directly that you'll decide in a week or two because you are expecting another offer. Tell job #2 that you have an offer on hand and you're deciding in a week. I did exactly this in 2022 and everyone is still friendly.

I feel like you could leave the first part out with no repercussions. What would you gain by telling the first company you’re waiting for another offer to come in before deciding?
Seems safer to just say, “I’ll make a decision in a week or two” and leave it at that, while telling company #2 that you’ve received an offer and need to make a decision.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 10:57 AM   #24
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I literally laughed out loud at this, if I could pull that off it'd be incredibly impressive!

I think that has been attempted before with temporary success.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 02:56 PM   #25
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Accept the job then move to the second job if an offer comes in and is better.

“Being blacked balled” and “burning a bridge” are just excuses for average employees. If you are good at what you do take the best offer and look after yourself and your family.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 06:00 PM   #26
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Got offered the first job. Accepted the first job.

Lord knows when the second job process will be done, and it's not certain that it'd actually be better, and that's assuming that I'm the successful candidate.

Letting my current employer know was a lot more difficult that I thought it'd be. Really love where I'm at, get along famously with my boss. But this is a better position for me and my family, and going into a great environment as well.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 04:21 PM   #27
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'll start by saying I like my job, I like where I work, I like the people I work with. I've been there for a few years now, and am doing really well.

However, there are two positions that I have recently applied for as they both would be great working environments with more money, and benefits.

I say that as if I don't get either. I may not get either position. I'm happy where I'm at, and if I get one, I'd move but not due to anything negative.

My query is this:

Of the two jobs I've applied for, one application process is proceeding at a far faster rate than the other.

Today one of the positions contacted me about references after I interviewed earlier in the week.

The second position emailed today to say I've moved on to the next stage.

I want to make an informed decision.

If offered the first position I may not know for another few weeks/months about the second position.

I may not get the second position.

Not to sound full of myself, but I truly believe I'd be a frontrunner (if not the frontrunner) in each position.

Assuming I do get the first position, how do I handle it to keep the second position open without burning bridges?
Given you have noted that you really like your current place of work, your role and the people you work with, I'd strongly, STRONGLY suggest when you do have an offer, that you bring it back to your current place of work to share with them and ask them if they can do something to keep you. The market is hard right now for employers in finding/retaining good people. The grass isn't always greener on the other side and if you can get things balanced out where you currently are (even if not all the way), that still might be a better choice in my opinion since you don't know how things will be at the new company vs. you know how things are where you are right now.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 04:21 PM   #28
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol damn, I Was too late. Good luck in your new role!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 05:40 PM   #29
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Given you have noted that you really like your current place of work, your role and the people you work with, I'd strongly, STRONGLY suggest when you do have an offer, that you bring it back to your current place of work to share with them and ask them if they can do something to keep you. The market is hard right now for employers in finding/retaining good people. The grass isn't always greener on the other side and if you can get things balanced out where you currently are (even if not all the way), that still might be a better choice in my opinion since you don't know how things will be at the new company vs. you know how things are where you are right now.
Without getting into the complexities, it's not something that my current employer could match. The structure of the organizations are very different and due to the structure my current place, though fantastic, is not the right fit for me long term.

Old 05-25-2024, 01:07 AM   #30
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Without getting into the complexities, it's not something that my current employer could match. The structure of the organizations are very different and due to the structure my current place, though fantastic, is not the right fit for me long term.
Sounds like you chose WWE over AEW and are moving on from your independent promotion. Congrats man, can't wait to see you on national TV!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2024, 08:55 AM   #31
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Sounds like you chose WWE over AEW and are moving on from your independent promotion. Congrats man, can't wait to see you on national TV!
That analogy is pretty spot on.

Loving working in an indy promotion, but the change to go to work at a big company with guaranteed pay, and benefits.

Old 05-25-2024, 10:08 AM   #32
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Ya I just gave notice. Boss asked if there is anything they could do and I said probably not. Said he’d take me back if it doesn’t work out.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2024, 10:30 AM   #33
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Got offered the first job. Accepted the first job.

Lord knows when the second job process will be done, and it's not certain that it'd actually be better, and that's assuming that I'm the successful candidate.

Letting my current employer know was a lot more difficult that I thought it'd be. Really love where I'm at, get along famously with my boss. But this is a better position for me and my family, and going into a great environment as well.
im late to this too. And if a few months down the line you get accepted for the 2nd one, it's perfectly acceptable to take it. I hired a guy who had lost out on a better job but the 3 month probabtion for the original guy failed and they reached back out to him. I was perfectly fine with it.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote