Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2024, 11:15 AM   #4741
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
That's the real nice thing about an Iginla, or even an Eiserman pick (personally I think Eiserman would be a nice grab. They are both almost eligible for next years draft with late birthdays. It actually makes Eiserman's totals that much more impressive in my mind, notwithstanding the eventual flight risk of drafting him, and the questionable attitude others have mentioned.

When its you bringing up Eiserman I get a little nervous, he is one of the guys I would truly be disappointed if the flames selected him. Not my kind of player.
shotinthebacklund is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shotinthebacklund For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2024, 11:15 AM   #4742
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best player available. Every time.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 11:18 AM   #4743
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Best player available. Every time.
Sure. But who's list are we deciding it's BPA every time? If the Flames list isn't in line with Bobby Maks, then what?

Say the Flames do take Helenius at 9 and Dickinson is there? Is that BPA? Or are we gonna go off about how so and so was there and they took THAT guy?
Old 06-25-2024, 11:24 AM   #4744
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Sure. But who's list are we deciding it's BPA every time? If the Flames list isn't in line with Bobby Maks, then what?

Say the Flames do take Helenius at 9 and Dickinson is there? Is that BPA? Or are we gonna go off about how so and so was there and they took THAT guy?
So silly...............of course we are.

And we will do so, based on many factors, multiple lists, personal preferences based on youtube highlight packages and such.............
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 11:30 AM   #4745
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only player I'm not keen on in the top 12-15 is Eiserman. That's it. I'll be pretty happy with any other. Even Iggy jr. Just the fan stuff is too much for me surrounding the kid.

That being said, I'm convinced junior won't be there at 9.
Old 06-25-2024, 11:30 AM   #4746
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I mean that comes down to the scouts. There's no way to know who will be the best but you trust your scouts and pick the top rated player.
Should position play a role in it? Sure if you need a tie breaker, but you don't pass up a top line W for a top 6 C because of the position he will play for you 4 years from now
Old 06-25-2024, 11:34 AM   #4747
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://soundofhockey.com/2022/06/06...l-draft-picks/

Based on this chart

28 = 158.84
41 = 89.15
total = 247.99
Closest match is the Blackhawks at #18 (248.82).

Would it be worth it to make the trade?
Somebody at 18 that is a more sure fire pick?
Would the Hawks want two kicks at the can in their rebuild situation?
Old 06-25-2024, 11:37 AM   #4748
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post

Based on this chart

28 = 158.84
41 = 89.15
total = 247.99

18 is great territory. If there's a Connelly or Hage or....Jiricek you make it happen. There's a lot of quality meat on the bone still at 18-24.
Old 06-25-2024, 11:42 AM   #4749
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post

Based on this chart

28 = 158.84
41 = 89.15
total = 247.99

I like that too, but the only thing is that 41st overall is in a range that Bob thinks nets you just as good a player as the 28th overall pick. So that 41st is undervalued and the 28th is overvalued by his rankings.
Old 06-25-2024, 11:55 AM   #4750
YyjFlames
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
It's absolutely batsh*t crazy to me that the Flames fanbase would lose their collective marbles if they picked someone other than Iginla at 9 if he made it there . I hope they don't pick him even more now because of this lunacy.
The Flames fanbase will lose its collective marbles regardless of who they pick at number 9.

We shouldn't this year, with all the quality in the top 12, but we will. It's one of the endearing parts of this board; irrational hot takes!
YyjFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 12:00 PM   #4751
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Sure, but do you take a significantly worse player because of position?

You're extremely unlikely to get a franchise player at #9.
I think you would have to go out of your way to take a significantly worse player at 9. There is a group of players closely bunched where the Flames pick.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2024, 12:02 PM   #4752
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
I mean that comes down to the scouts. There's no way to know who will be the best but you trust your scouts and pick the top rated player.
Should position play a role in it? Sure if you need a tie breaker, but you don't pass up a top line W for a top 6 C because of the position he will play for you 4 years from now
I think position will indeed play a part in who they pick at 9 on draft day. The group they're picking from is pretty close. Unless it's a player they didn't think would get to them.
Old 06-25-2024, 12:04 PM   #4753
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotinthebacklund View Post
When its you bringing up Eiserman I get a little nervous, he is one of the guys I would truly be disappointed if the flames selected him. Not my kind of player.
To ease your fears, I have never heard anything specific about targeting Eiserman or anything. Now Yakemchuk on the other hand... I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was our pick at 9 if they can't grab another pick in the 10-15 range. Thats the current Flames goal and the 28 pick is in play along with roster players to jump into that range of the queue.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2024, 12:05 PM   #4754
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I think trading up to the top 20 will be hard. McKenzie explains it best:

Quote:
It seems there’s a divide of sorts between the top 20 on TSN’s list and the next group of as many 20-plus prospects. Famous last words, but it would be shocking if the first 20 on our list aren’t surefire first-rounders. Beyond that, though, the prospects ranked 21-32 would appear to be somewhat interchangeable with those ranked 33 to 50.

In particular, there’s very little separating the six players from No. 33 to No. 38 — Charlie Elick, Egor Surin, Nikita Artamonov, Dean Letourneau, Matvei Gridin and Jesse Pulkkinen — with those ranked from around No. 25 to 32.

And all but two prospects between 40 and 52 received at least one first-round vote.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 12:14 PM   #4755
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think position will indeed play a part in who they pick at 9 on draft day. The group they're picking from is pretty close. Unless it's a player they didn't think would get to them.
If it comes into play as a tiebreaker, like I said have at it.

But if you're looking at Iginla ranked at 7, and Helenius at 10, dont pick the center just because he is one.
Old 06-25-2024, 12:32 PM   #4756
YyjFlames
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I think trading up to the top 20 will be hard. McKenzie explains it best:
Kind of could go either way with how that's written: a team might feel comparable value in a number of players in the 21-50 range to the guys available to them at 15-20 -- and so they might be willing to trade out for two kicks at the can.
YyjFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 01:21 PM   #4757
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
To ease your fears, I have never heard anything specific about targeting Eiserman or anything. Now Yakemchuk on the other hand... I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was our pick at 9 if they can't grab another pick in the 10-15 range. Thats the current Flames goal and the 28 pick is in play along with roster players to jump into that range of the queue.

eases fears by naming the only other player I am also a little afraid of haha, lovely. I mean sure, at 10-15 range maybe. Just not at 9. I worry catton might struggle for a few years, I worry yakemchuk could be a bust... Eiserman I worry about everything other then scoring goals.

Im all in for Lindstrom, Iginla, Buium. assuming others are all gone. fingers crossed.
shotinthebacklund is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft