Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2024, 08:38 AM   #1201
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
I know there are plans for a redevelopment of Shouldice/Hellard field in the future. I would say Cavalry has outgrown that space but I think that would be a great venue for the Wild over McMahon if they get get a ~4000 seat stadium there. I’ve said it before that I’m surprised the Wild didn’t pursue that route already. Get some temporary bleachers on the other side, some turf upgrade and you’re now the big dog in a much better sized stadium. Partner with the Colts and get them to chip in for some of the costs too. Ah well. Maybe in the future
This x100. I understand why defaulting to McMahon happens, but it ignores the game day experience, and that's ultimately what keeps people coming back. An appropriately sized venue with simple stands is more sustainable than playing in an oversized venue where you sit miles from the pitch.

Think Halifax, but 1/2 or 1/3 the size. People won't dwell on the permanence of the facility because all they'll be talking about is the atmosphere.

I know that there's the folklore of Tommy going to Spruce Meadows and asking if they'd ever play soccer on there. And the rest is "history", so to speak. But I'm sure that a major factor was him and his cultural background knowing that McMahon would hinder the club's success, and it should not ever be considered. He knows that the little clubs in the UK (and around the world) don't rent from the big boys down the road because playing in empty stadiums is dreadful. They slap up some appropriately-sized stands and pack them in. Expand as needed. Game day experience is king.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2024, 09:00 AM   #1202
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Atco Field is taking on a character of its own. Every year the club has invested in the game day experience. They are in the pursuit of excellence. I'd love for them to let it sell out a year years running before putting in more seats.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2024, 09:28 AM   #1203
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know there are plans for a redevelopment of Shouldice/Hellard field in the future. I would say Cavalry has outgrown that space but I think that would be a great venue for the Wild over McMahon if they get get a ~4000 seat stadium there. I’ve said it before that I’m surprised the Wild didn’t pursue that route already. Get some temporary bleachers on the other side, some turf upgrade and you’re now the big dog in a much better sized stadium. Partner with the Colts and get them to chip in for some of the costs too. Ah well. Maybe in the future
Hellard and Encana fields were built specifically for gridiron with big donations from owners of the Stampeders at the time. That's a political battle soccer is not going to win.

What people may not realize is the Wild aren't exactly flush with cash so they go throwing money around to build a stadium. They are an extension of a community club that hopes investors jump on board. I don't think they have been that successful to date. I have heard they want to be part supporter owned but IMO that is an idea that people love until they have to open their wallets. Like anything around the game in this country....

With this new women's league it's really a matter of get it off the ground however you can and build from there. They need to get their feet under them. I don't think their main supporter base is the hardcore soccer crowd that cares that much about the stadium.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2024, 09:40 AM   #1204
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the end of the day people who want to go go, and people who don't make up excuses.

People complained about the Location of Spruce Meadows while I was driving up from Edmonton to catch games happily.

I just talked to a couple from pincher creek who drive up for games.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2024, 10:22 AM   #1205
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Hellard and Encana fields were built specifically for gridiron with big donations from owners of the Stampeders at the time. That's a political battle soccer is not going to win.

What people may not realize is the Wild aren't exactly flush with cash so they go throwing money around to build a stadium. They are an extension of a community club that hopes investors jump on board. I don't think they have been that successful to date. I have heard they want to be part supporter owned but IMO that is an idea that people love until they have to open their wallets. Like anything around the game in this country....

With this new women's league it's really a matter of get it off the ground however you can and build from there. They need to get their feet under them. I don't think their main supporter base is the hardcore soccer crowd that cares that much about the stadium.
The political side of things is very much changing down there and I really feel there is a massive opportunity for soccer to get involved and get a piece of the action at Shouldice. From what I know many people are sick of football people and their influence is dwindling. The only downside is having the City as a partner and dealing with their archaic field bookings.

Currently the Colts are the largest tenant at Shouldice and they have essentially negative money so I strongly feel the Wild could’ve made it work. To your point about their fan base not being hardcore fans and caring as much about the stadium experience is another reason to me that Shouldice could’ve made a lot of sense. But they made their decision with McMahon and I really hope it works out for them. I look forward to checking out their games! Being on the train line is a big plus. But every entity that has made McMahon their home other than the Stamps has failed (including gridiron) and the Stamps are beginning to feel it too. I know Dinos football has even explored leaving McMahon because of the stadium atmosphere. Atmosphere and fan experience is a big part of the league surviving and I fear the Wild are starting behind the 8-ball there. Spruce Meadows has largely nailed it and people are willing to make the trek to get there because the games are such a draw.

Best case would be the city/university eventually building something up at foothills athletic park and the Wild being able to get in there.

Sorry to derail the thread about the Wild and their location but it is an interesting discussion that we’re probably going to repeat many times
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2024, 10:25 AM   #1206
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

No worries, the more people talk about it the better. I never would have known about Cavalry FC if it weren't for CP.
Old 09-18-2024, 10:53 AM   #1207
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really the best bet for some type of new field is if the City of Calgary, Cavalry, Wild, Stampeders, and UofC come together on a solution that works for all of them with some type of joint build.

It also starts to have the required number of "events" that would make sense for investment.

Stampeders: 9 games
Dinos: 5 games
Cavalry: 20 games
Wild: 13 games

Suddenly you have 45-50 events which is a decent baseline, plus potential summer concerts or festivals or Canadian National teams games for both mens and womens at all age groups.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2024, 11:10 AM   #1208
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But every entity that has made McMahon their home other than the Stamps has failed (including gridiron) and the Stamps are beginning to feel it too. I know Dinos football has even explored leaving McMahon because of the stadium atmosphere. Atmosphere and fan experience is a big part of the league surviving and I fear the Wild are starting behind the 8-ball there. Spruce Meadows has largely nailed it and people are willing to make the trek to get there because the games are such a draw.

Best case would be the city/university eventually building something up at foothills athletic park and the Wild being able to get in there.

Sorry to derail the thread about the Wild and their location but it is an interesting discussion that we’re probably going to repeat many times
Lots of people complained about Spruce Meadows when the location was announced and Cavalry draws more and more people each year, and pay the highest prices in the league to do so. I don't think McMahon is a death knell by any stretch. It's not a long term solution but building a stadium is a lot more complicated than people think, especially when you try to bring together multiple groups with their own priorities.

I have no idea what to expect with the Wild. It could fail spectacularly like the Storm/Mustangs, or it could have a massive groundswell of support out of the gate. I imagine it will be somewhere in between. A women's soccer league has never been done in this country before so this is all new territory.

I'll be there at the first game in April with my daughter either way. She is who this league is for, not me.

Old 09-18-2024, 11:10 AM   #1209
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyways, Friday night's game is going to suck

https://twitter.com/user/status/1836443022344753462

Old 09-18-2024, 04:43 PM   #1210
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Anyways, Friday night's game is going to suck

https://twitter.com/user/status/1836443022344753462
With no Klomp or Kobza, I’m thinking that we’ll likely play a back 3 of Kamdem, Field and Montgomery with Aird (hopefully) as the right wingback and maybe Wahling on the left? I really can’t see a back 4 with Field and Montgomery as the lone CBs.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2024, 04:49 PM   #1211
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard Aird had an MRI today so wouldn't expect him for Friday. If we go back 4 maybe Tommy slides Shome back to RB and brings Daley in. The back 3 you mentioned with Shome and Gutierrez in midfield would be preferred.

Wahling has not been good lately. I know he'll get minutes because we are desperate but I don't think he's earned them. Pretty disappointing year on the wings.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2024, 04:59 PM   #1212
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Aird hurt!? Oh man. I don't even think we know how good this team could have been this season because they've barely played together. Just brutal. Not much runway to get everyone healthy and gelling before playoffs either.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2024, 08:28 AM   #1213
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like the salary cap is going up in 2025. No actual details here, just the interviewer asking if they expect the salary cap will go up and the Commissioner saying "Yes"

https://twitter.com/user/status/1836753117183955001

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2024, 11:51 AM   #1214
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

This seems like a great match to stay compact in a low block and get out with a 0-0 draw. Maybe you can catch York in transition and snatch a goal. If Trafford was healthy I could see him even getting a go at CB or he slots into the midfield and Shome could play fullback. I’m not sure I would want Shome at RB and a midfield of Daley and Gutierrez as neither of those guys will really sit and protect the CBs (although Daley is never afraid of a tackle). Maybe Harms RB? Get some u21 minutes accumulated and out of the way
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2024, 12:34 PM   #1215
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The final week of the CPL will see all matches played at the same time and will be free on Youtube. October 19, 4 pm Eastern, 1 pm Pacific, some random ass time in Newfoundland.

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-pr...n-finale-nears

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:

Tags
cavalry fc , cpl , ftf , soccer